Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Rare images beyond the naked eye

By Trystan L. Bass and Lori Bongiorno
Posted Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:25pm PDT
Related topics: Science, News, Nature
More from Green Picks blog
http://green.yahoo.com/blog/greenpicks/292/rare-images-beyond-the-naked-eye.html

The annual Small World Photomicrography Competition sponsored by Nikon aims to showcase "the beauty and complexity of life as seen through the light microscope."

Indeed, the 2010 winning photographs reveal what's not seen or visible to the human eye. While many of the stunning images were taken to advance science, some are just simply beautiful to look at.

The following photos were amongst this year's 20 winners, but you can see hundreds of gorgeous photos featured from previous years as well. Some winning photographs are on display at museums across the country. You can also learn how to create your own masterpieces.

greenpicks-261731024-1287515179.jpg

(Photo: Dr. Paul D. Andrews, University of Dundee, Scotland)

Cancer

Above is a picture of two human cancer cells sitting next to each other right before they're about to divide into four cells. They're derived from the now famous "HeLa" line of cancer cells, which were taken from Henrietta Lacks in 1951 and used for medical research without her permission. "Understanding how cells divide is critical to understanding how cancerous cells multiply and take over," according to Dr. Andrews.

greenpicks-959366959-1287515178.jpg

(Photo: Dr. Gregory Rouse, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, California, U.S.)

Mollusc baby

Dr. Rouse is a marine biologist who started taking photos through a microscope to raise awareness of "the spectacular beauty that lies hidden in the sands of the sea." The baby bivalve, which is part of the Limidae family, was swimming like a scallop by clapping its shells together when the photo was taken.

greenpicks-246309831-1287515178.jpg

(Photo: Gerd Guenther, Dusseldorf, Germany)

Soap film

You can see colors of soap bubbles with the naked eye, but the colors are so much more intense and beautiful under the microscope. The photo above was taken right before the soap film collapsed. Guenther is an organic farmer in Dusseldorf, Germany, who takes microphotos as part of his work -- to get a closer look at plants -- and for the fun of it.

greenpicks-83277274-1287515179.jpg

(Photo: Yanping Wang, Beijing Planetarium, China)

Soy sauce

Wang is a screenwriter who was inspired to take microphotos as a hobby when she looked at snowflakes under a microscope. Here she shows the details of traditional Chinese soy sauce. Wang chose this particular image because it's the only soy sauce crystal that resembles a human face.

greenpicks-72201427-1287515178.jpg

(Photo: Charles Krebs, Washington, U.S.)

Wasp eye

Krebs is a professional photographer who specializes in small insects. Here he shows a Ichneumon wasp compound eye magnified 40 times.

Beauty is to be found in these images, and wonder in what is depicted in them.

That said, there is a whole other side as it regards the photography. Issues of lighting, depth of field, and focus are as magnified in this area of photography as are the subjects.

It would be nice to have a scale mention with each photo. For example, whereas the wasp eye could be achieved via off-the-shelf macro lenses, the cancer cells would require full-on microscopy.

And now I know about Henrietta Lacks. Thanks, Anita! :thumb:

cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Gaze
This is fascinating. Especially the cancer cells. How could something so pretty cause such destruction. I've heard of the Henrietta Lacks story, very interesting.

every photo was completely captivating! I wanted to keep studying it till my eyes were tired! Great thread!

every photo was completely captivating! I wanted to keep studying it till my eyes were tired! Great thread!

Yes!!! What Entyqua said...

Amazing photos!

I've never really been one for visual art. :m062:

Great pics! Especially the HeLa cells, never quite seen them like that. Woman's been dead for decades and still her cancer cells are as resilient as ever, it's quite bizarre.

Oh wow, that's amazing :) The cancer cells looks...rather alarming.
Thanks for the find :D

19th Place: Rat Retina
Image courtesy Cameron Johnson, Nikon Small World

small-world-micro-photographs-macro-19_27429_600x450.jpg

1st Place: The Tell-Tale Heart (Mosquito)

Image courtesy Jonas King, Nikon Small World

small-world-micro-photographs-macro-01_27410_600x450.jpg

7th Place: Vessel Lining

Image courtesy Yongli Shan, Nikon Small World
You're filled with these, most likely: endothelial cells, which line the interiors of blood vessels, capillaries, arteries, and your heart. The cells help hold blood in and encourage it to move along, discouraging clots. In smokers, endothelial cells start misbehaving early on, and are thought to be useful predictors of heart attacks or strokes.
In this picture by Yongli Shan of Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, the fluorescent-lighted cells—attached to synthetic microfibers (blue)—are magnified 2,500 times.
Published October 13, 2010

small-world-micro-photographs-macro-07_27416_600x450.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...s-crystals-science-small-world-2010-pictures/