Questioning your type lately? | INFJ Forum

Questioning your type lately?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, almost everyone at some point seems to question their type. Have you been questioning your type lately, or have you always questioned your type? Why?

Do you feel that maybe you're not your type because you don't fit or aren't similar to anyone of your type? Do you feel as if you connect with more than one type description with one not seeming more dominant than the other? Do you feel as if you fit the description on paper but not in actions?

I often question myself...but with this...never, I am so infjish. From the first reading of description...one big AHA moment...

When I read about my type, I thought to myself, "Wow, this is so true." Lately I've been feeling a bit ENTP, though. Weird.

I've been typing INFJ for almost all the tests I've taken in the past year but yet I still relate more to INFPs. So, I'm not sure what's happening. Maybe i'm an INFJ who wants to be an INFP, or an INFP whose main mode of operation is INFJ so it begins to feel natural. I connect with various aspects of both descriptions. But since I'm not deadline oriented and stress under those kinds of circumstances, I'd say I'm likely more P than J. TJ expectations have always been stressful for me. I need time to process things. Working under someone else's timetable is difficult. And I stress when I exert too much Fe. Fe stresses my system, like a sensory overload.

I do question my type due to fact that I do not believe a 100% in everything I read everywhere, I basically use various facts, in witch I believe at least a 65%-75%, to evaluate my results.

Yeah, but I always do I think because MBTI is 90% bunk...

I think MBTI needs a better quantitative way to measure type than subjective questioning. Plus, TBH, we are all coat-tailing our understanding of the theory off of work that, for the most part, we aren't officially linked to--this isn't a Meyers-Briggs site.

As an answer, yes. I type INTJ but really close to the I/E (52% range I) and J/P divide (50 something percent/sometimes 60 as J) when I take tests. I have come to the conclusion I fit the ENTP type more accurately. I think part of the disconnect is that I haven't studied the theory as extensively as I should have. I also haven't finished reading all of Jungs work.

I've been typing INFJ for almost all the tests I've taken in the past year but yet I still relate more to INFPs. So, I'm not sure what's happening. Maybe i'm an INFJ who wants to be an INFP, or an INFP whose main mode of operation is INFJ so it begins to feel natural. I connect with various aspects of both descriptions. But since I'm not deadline oriented and stress under those kinds of circumstances, I'd say I'm likely more P than J. TJ expectations have always been stressful for me. I need time to process things. Working under someone else's timetable is difficult. And I stress when I exert too much Fe. Fe stresses my system, like a sensory overload.

descriptions for INFP sound like me...but I know I'm a J. I dunno.

I think everyone has that "core self", and then extra "layers" for when the soul needs to try something different. Since joining these forums, I am more sure of my type than I have ever been. I will probably subject to change in the future.

^^^

Pretty much, since joining the forum I am more sure of my type now.

I think it gets harder to know your type the older you get, since you develop functions that may not necessarily be your natural strengths..I often wonder whether I am an INTJ or INFP..but the description of an INJ child fits me perfectly, so I now for sure..

I have been feeling and acting like an ENTJ for the past week..and it's starting to get to me..time to settle down again...

It's funny that I just checked this thread again, because I've been having a massive identity crisis for the past 6 hours or so, ever since I retook the test (with more questions than any other version I've done) and it gave me *gasp* INTJ with a 2% preference for thinking. Normally I'd write this off as a fluke, but I recently took one of those three-part tests (who you are, who you want to be, who you find appealing) that said I was an INTJ who wants to be INFJ. Can someone please console and/or scorn me?

No. I have a funny sentence in my head to describe just how INFJ I am, but I can't find it.

I did because though I test predominantly as INFJ I also test as INFP and INTJ on occasion. I think at times I'd rather be INFP really. I wouldn't mind one bit. However I can pretty easily tell my inferior function. This forum post had a good link to the inferior functions. http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/110447-wondering-if-youre-infp-not-check-out.html I boomeranged back to the INFJ forum.

I could see INTJ if I streched my imagination but I am Te deficient. My best friends are ENTJs and ESTJs and I can tell what I don't use. At one point I was hoping my lemming-like twenties would have been a kind of a healthy Se development period instead of a Se-inferior meltdown and I'd be an ISFP but it would require a lot more self deluding than I'm currently capable of.

I took the MBTI far too seriously so it was a while before I settled on my type. I've always tested IxTx (apart from those tests that give me something crazy like ESFJ) so I went through thinking I was an INTP, an ISTP and an ISTJ. My main problem is that I don't identify with most INTJ descriptions. I think it's because they're either written by a different type or by an INTJ who wants everyone to know just how special and great he is.

If I'm going to have an identity crisis, it's not going to be because I'm not sure if I'm a P or a J......

It's funny that I just checked this thread again, because I've been having a massive identity crisis for the past 6 hours or so, ever since I retook the test (with more questions than any other version I've done) and it gave me *gasp* INTJ with a 2% preference for thinking. Normally I'd write this off as a fluke, but I recently took one of those three-part tests (who you are, who you want to be, who you find appealing) that said I was an INTJ who wants to be INFJ. Can someone please console and/or scorn me?

*offers scorn*

Go back to riding your unicorn Feeler, you ain't no Thinker.....

All better?

Reactions: Brodskizzle
Yes. I feel both ISFJ and INFJ descriptions fit. This part could not be more WRONG: "Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions. This is something of a conflict between the inner and outer worlds, and may result in the INFJ not being as organized as other Judging types tend to be. Or we may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk." http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

I am one of the most organized people I know ... of anyone I have ever met in my life, I am the most organized. My home is always tidy, chores finished, clothes hung, pictures on wall straight, furniture positioned in a way that is pleasing to my eyes. When my friends come to my home they always comment that my house is so clean. (Seriously, just do away with clutter ... it's not that difficult.) When I worked, my desk was always tidy and I had a system by which to do my work productively. My boss would often compliment that he liked my organization and tidiness. I do not put a tremendous amount of faith in my instincts/intuition. I've learned when it is appropriate to use them and to not assume/jump to conclusions until I have facts.

This part is very wrong about the ISFJ: "ISFJs need positive feedback from others. In the absence of positive feedback, or in the face of criticism, the ISFJ gets discouraged, and may even become depressed. When down on themselves or under great stress, the ISFJ begins to imagine all of the things that might go critically wrong in their life. They have strong feelings of inadequacy, and become convinced that "everything is all wrong", or "I can't do anything right"."

I don't need positive feedback. Under normal circumstances I may ask for SOME feedback if I am working on a project so I know I am doing it well or need to change my game. I don't get discouraged. I welcome criticism ... I want to know how I can do something better.

Last edited:
So I took some more online tests and got different results for each: INFP, INTJ and INFJ. I really am unsure of my type now... The more complex tests gave me the former two, but this simple test said INFJ and was easier to answer. I know that no one is constantly their type, but I wonder which one I am the most.

Reactions: Jana