bamf

Is Watching You
Retired Staff
Apr 9, 2009
MBTI
Meh
Enneagram
Meh
I am a high school English teacher, and I have a question for those of you with students in elementary school/early middle school. Do your children have typing classes at school anymore? I ask because I'm noticing that a large number of my students have very limited typing skills. When I was in school, which really wasn't long after the start of the information age, typing classes were mandatory. Early educators realized the importance of typing. I'm curious as to whether or not schools still require this of children. I'm admit, my students are —¹incredibly—¹ talented when it comes to intuitively understanding how the newest devices "function" and how to get the most out of apps, but they seem completely lost as to how to productively and academically use a computer. As a whole, they do not understand how they work, the risks involved, or how to navigate basic "office" functions. Do we just assume students will pick this up? Or are we still dedicating important time during the fundamental years to build a working knowledge of computer.

Any/all insight and experiences are valid and appreciated.

Since nobody is replying yet I guess I'll chime in because I have young family members and my youngest sister is still in school and I hear about it.

In my experience, typing classes don't seem to be much of a thing where I live. Though a Google search seems to indicate that some places do have it, so it's hard to say. It might depend on where you live.

They do not have typing classes but do have computer instruction. You are correct that they do not teach qwerty anymore. They don't usually teach grammar, either, and it is awful! So, not only do they not know how to say it but they can only type it with two fingers.