^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have a question. Is dyslexia often or sometimes accompanied by some sort of social impairment? Like, are dyslexic people sometimes less able to pick up on explicit and implicit social cues than usual? And if yes, how does this manifest? I'm not suggesting that dyslexia itself causes any social or relational problems, but I'm wondering if it is co-morbid with some condition that makes people this way sometimes.

No, I'm not dyslexic. I'm just curious.

Any insight would be appreciated!

I've always had the impression that dyslexia is a learning disability associated with the areas of the brain that control read/writing. If so, and if there are no additional components to the condition that affect social functioning, I would guess it is generally a stand-alone condition. This is my general understanding but I don't actually know for sure.

Experientially speaking, I knew someone who is dyslexic and she was quite socially competent.

I have a question. Is dyslexia often or sometimes accompanied by some sort of social impairment?

Yes, usually Aspergers syndrome or ADHD. Its a neurological disorder.

I have been diagnosed with 4 different types of Dyslexia - Visual, Phonological, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia - and Aspergers syndrome.

"It is believed that dyslexia can affect between 5 to 10 percent of a given population although there have been no studies to indicate an accurate percentage" - Wikipedia

Reactions: Faye
Also, I can imagine behaviour problems could arise, particularly in the case of un-managed or dis-managed dyslexia, from continual feelings of frustrations, low self-esteem, or bullying/getting made fun of, which might exhibit as problems with social functioning. But again, this would be a secondary cause.

Also, I can imagine behaviour problems could arise, particularly in the case of un-managed or dis-managed dyslexia, from continual feelings of frustrations, low self-esteem, or bullying/getting made fun of, which might exhibit as problems with social functioning. But again, this would be a secondary cause.

For years as a child I was constantly called stupid by my teachers from the age 6 onwards to the age of 9 when I was home schooled by my parents. I hated learning from anyone except myself, so I taught myself most of what I know academically through observation rather than direct tutoring. For years and even to this day I'm extremely insecure about my intellectual abilities, I was classed as handicapped and retarded and nicknamed by my peers as 'dumbo' because I happen to be a slow learner (due to the processes my brain has to do in order to single out details). I have to read sentences and maths sums forwards, backwards and forwards again in order to process the information. When I read things or hear words, theres a fog or static that occurs in my cognitive processing that needs to be looked or heard through first before whatever information is made clear to me. I mentally translate descriptions into pictures as thats easier for me to process, for some reason mental pictures are large enough to cut through the fog/static.

I find with dyslexia that my ability to communicate is impaired if I am tired or stressed out.