Resident palindrome
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 21, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thought I'd create a thread for random information that is helpful to share.

Yesterday a friend had to rush her child to the hospital because her kids broke open a maraca and the youngest child ate the beans inside. Maracas are commonly filled with Abrus precatorius. One well-chewed bean can kill an adult!
Abrus precatorius is very pretty and also commonly used for jewelry.

My friend threw away all the other maracas her family has, and they are now making homemade ones using edible beans.

If you have kids or pets, you may wants to ditch the maracas and any jewelry using these beans.

42-Abrus precatorius-IMGP4805_a.JPG

I will unleash the most horrible wrath if those box valences are not made today! /PSA

ETA: No wrath, the valences are done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandie33 and Asa
Thank you @Asa .
I would have not known that about the beads...is the little one OK?
This is a great idea for a share space:)

@Sandie33 -- The little one is OK, but had to go to the ER, spend the night, and had all sorts of procedures to ensure she would be OK. The toxin is released when the beans are chewed, and the little one swallowed the beans whole, which helped.

@Sandie33 -- The little one is OK, but had to go to the ER, spend the night, and had all sorts of procedures to ensure she would be OK. The toxin is released when the beans are chewed, and the little one swallowed the beans whole, which helped.
Oh geeish...Good news she will be OK. TY for saying <3 hugz.

Reactions: Asa