Psychology & INFJ's | INFJ Forum

Psychology & INFJ's

laoch

Jan 8, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
It's often said that psychology is a wonderful subject to study for an INFJ and also can be a very fulfilling career.why is this?

Reactions: Sandie33
Maybe because INFJs are naturally attracted to it and interested in people. I have always been completely fascinated by Psychology myself and have considered studying it at University. I imagine the combination of Ni, Fe and Ti means INFJs naturally wonder what makes others tick, are empathetic and interested in people and intrigued by the more academic side of the profession also.

It's often said that psychology is a wonderful subject to study for an INFJ and also can be a very fulfilling career.why is this?

I don't think it is the study of psychology, but rather the act of helping people, such as a therapist, counselor or social worker. I've read INFJs are inclined to the helping professions. Makes sense. I know there are a number of RNs on this site.

Because we are engineers and scientists at heart, fascinated and innately in tune with complex systems - but our systems are people and relationships rather than machines and scientific theory.

Also quite frankly, we're way better at observing outside of us than inside :D

Because we are engineers and scientists at heart, fascinated and innately in tune with complex systems - but our systems are people and relationships rather than machines and scientific theory.

Also quite frankly, we're way better at observing outside of us than inside :D
I have found this with myself,bizarre to say the least!

Psychology is also attracted to the intuitive thinker.

When I say INFJ, I'm currently just talking about the test, not the functions stuff (which I view as a separate theory).

INFs in general are prime candidates for psychology, because e.g. IN is most correlated with introspection, and F adds to it (people who pay attention to their feelings tend to on average be more in touch with their inner psychologies too).
Basically F also induces a level of people-orientation.

Js somewhat exceed Ps in terms of being a bit more willing to be normative and/or prescriptive, i.e. "this is how things ought to go" which can attract them to counseling people, but at the same time, Myers suggests that a lot of people want to be listened to with a more P attitude, i.e. an attitude that just listens to what's there, rather than prescribing.

If I could start again, I would seriously consider learning psychology. I love to understand and interpret feelings and behaviours (my own and others), and I love listening and giving advice based on that (we are the counselors!).

Reactions: Rousseau4444
If I could start again, I would seriously consider learning psychology. I love to understand and interpret feelings and behaviours (my own and others), and I love listening and giving advice based on that (we are the counselors!).

Not too late. You can still become a counselor if you really want to. Follow your bliss.

Not too late. You can still become a counselor if you really want to. Follow your bliss.

Thankfully, I followed my dreams and have ended up doing something else I love :D I think it's kinda normal for INTJs to have a lot of interests? I'm very indecisive and I remember finding it really difficult to choose what to study at school/university.

I haven't gone to college or university, however, I'm thinking of going back and the only thing I can think of to major in is psychology.

Reactions: Sandie33
Studying psychology and actually doing clinical work are two different animals. There is a lot of burnout in the field so you need to be able to leave your "work" at work. There are so many theoretical orientations that an INFJ can find just the right niche as long as they are able to set appropriate boundaries and deal with their own stress effectively. What is also a fascinating offshoot is research in psychology. This opens up a whole new avenue for someone who does not care for direct client contact, with the exception of study participants. But this can be farmed out to research associates.