Pros and cons of social interaction | INFJ Forum

Pros and cons of social interaction

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
In your experience, what are the pros and cons of social interaction? Do you think the cons can be fixed or solved?

Thinking about a response is difficult because many of the pros are simultaneously cons. For example: others open us to thoughts, perspectives, and attitudes beyond what we could achieve even after much thought and reflection. I see this mostly as a pro, but it also has cons. I don't want to go into specific aspects of pro and con, because these depend on the people/groups... how they interface with others including oneself.

I think the overall balance of the pros and cons mostly leans towards net benefit, especially when averaged out across the positive and negative experiences. Additionally, one's own subjective perspective can greatly increase the benefit of social interaction; so that negative experiences can be more important/significant and beneficial than unprocessed positive experiences.

I think the cons can be worked through, save one. I've learned, often the hard way, to pick my social experiences. There are many people who like to control social outcomes, this is a con in regards that they try and manipulate participants reactions instead of letting one be themselves.

One pro of social interaction is to be introduced to concepts and ideas one may not otherwise become aware of on their own. I've found numerous subjects of interest to me that I would not have tried had it not been introduced to me in social context.

The biggest pro of social connections for me is all the unique people I get to meet and interact with...some wonderful souls, some not so much :D

Pros - You meet different types of people, learn from others, new perspectives, and better understanding of people and the world, improved social skills, enjoying the company of others who are similar or different, and expanding interests, social dynamics are supportive and welcoming of differences, friendly, positive social experiences

Cons - Dominance, arrogance, too much blending in to get along, pressure to stand out or conform, judgments or prejudice, no openness, dismissal of views or ideas that are not liked or supported, the belief that the ultimate goal is to be liked by everyone, social awkwardness, limited respect for individual differences, social dynamics are oppressive rather than supportive.

Edit: I think some of the cons can be resolved, but not all. We are an ego based world, and unfortunately, we focus more on having our say and getting our way and often see this as incompatible with other people's rights or views. So, since so many things are always at odds, I think it's tough to expect paradise or utopia, but maybe with a little extra effort on our part, we can be learn to be more receptive and understanding of everyone's differences, and be more willing to accommodate, then life could be easier for everyone. However, as long as everything is a fight to be right or win, and not compromise, then we'll likely keep having the same issues we've always had,

Last edited:
Reactions: Free and Sandie33
Con. People try to read intention, when you're trying to communicate meaning; and I can't relate to why they can't understand.

Reactions: Free and Gaze
People seem to notice that you're being an ass to them more than they notice they're being an ass themselves.

People seem to notice that you're being an ass to them more than they notice they're being an ass themselves.

Yes, we are quite the hypocritical creatures, aren't we? :D

Reactions: Free
Pros - Getting a second opinion, have someone to compare our views with, check our facts, and chance to revise theories, and refine positions, good discussion and debate, build communication and competitive speaking skills.

Cons - Sharing opinions invites social judgment, once you say something, people may feel sharing an opinion is an invitation to argue or expect you to defend it. Everything is subject to acceptance or rejection. Too much competitiveness, heated arguments and conflict which never goes anywhere

Pro - There will always be the potential for joy and contentment as a result of it.

Con - You have to have it sometimes... Girrr...

Pro - you can make great and deep deep connections with people

Cons\ - connections may be superficial or not last :(

Too much interaction and I start to feel disconnected from myself and like I'm absorbing too much from other people. I'm selfish. I like my me-time. Very much. I obsess over how to spend my free time by myself because I don't have a lot of it.

The pro is that relationships and other people enrich life... We are social creatures built to be interdependent with others. Everything seems meaningless when you spend enough time alone. When I was single and did not have a child I would go weeks without socializing. Was great at first, but then became lonely.