oddgirlout

Quirkess at your service
Donor
Oct 2, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
So I thought an easy way for me to ensure I am taking some time for myself would be to read a new book...a paper one. It's so easy to be sucked into the computer for hours and let technology take over me, so I need to make a conscious effort to avoid this.

There's nothing like the smell of an old book you've hung onto for years. I also enjoy the sound of the spine of a new book stretching getting broken in as the crisp pages advance.

Unfortunately every thing I look at seems to be just crap. So I need some suggestions of good books to read. So help me find something enthralling...

Reactions: David54
What are you interested in?
Genres and such..

I love gruesome stuff to be honest. True Crime, death, suspense are the top of my list. I also like witty things such as The Great Debate and The Partly Cloudy Patriot. Steinbeck is wonderful too for a classic pick. Poetry and Travel books *shrugs* the only thing I can't handle is Romance...ugh.

Ever read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote?

Totally unrelated to the genre.. read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. It will make you very uncomfortable about the way you live your life, but you will learn something.
It is one book that has stuck with me. I always recommend it to people looking for something engaging to read.

Reactions: aeon
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cryptonomicon-Neal-Stephenson/dp/B004R96U4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308439862&sr=8-1"]Cryptonomicon [/ame]by Neal Stephenson

[MENTION=4108]Radiant Shadow[/MENTION] and [MENTION=933]Seraphim[/MENTION]: These suggestions look intriguing. I feel like everyone was in a club I was left out of. Thank you so much!!!

I was inspired to start reading some classic literature so I tried starting with a tale of two cities. It takes Dickens three pages to describe someone's shoes so either I'm a non fiction geek or I'm really picky about writing.

Ever read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote?

Totally unrelated to the genre.. read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. It will make you very uncomfortable about the way you live your life, but you will learn something.
It is one book that has stuck with me. I always recommend it to people looking for something engaging to read.
[MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION]

You recommended me this book, and it's probably become my most recommended book for anyone who asks me for ideas on what to read next (being an English major has been good for something, at least!) It's mind altering and perspective changing to say the absolute least.

Reactions: acd
Fahrenheit 451

To Kill a Mockingbird

Of Mice and Men

Lord of the Flies

No and this is right up my ally. I'm going to put it on my list. Thank you!!!

One of my favorite "contemporary" novels. I pulled an all-nighter reading that in college one day... and it wasn't even an assigned reading.

You may want to revisit some Edgar Allen Poe. I have a huge hardcover collection of his works I go back through on occasion.

My wife also had me read "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" by Stephen King. I usually don't like his novels, but his short stories are rather impressive.

One of my favorite "contemporary" novels. I pulled an all-nighter reading that in college one day... and it wasn't even an assigned reading.

You may want to revisit some Edgar Allen Poe. I have a huge hardcover collection of his works I go back through on occasion.

My wife also had me read "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" by Stephen King. I usually don't like his novels, but his short stories are rather impressive.

Thank you [MENTION=2890]Lerxst[/MENTION] I love Poe but it has definitely been a while. I've never heard of "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" but I will definitely do my research.

Thank you to everyone else this is really helpful. Some things I have read others were completely new suggestions. Hopefully this will help relax me before bed and ensure I leave a little bit of time for myself.