Prime of your life | INFJ Forum

Prime of your life

floatingbridge

Life's a ride
Donor
Aug 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
So when do you think the prime of your life happens? I've always felt people saying 'the world is your oyster' to teenagers... they can go crazy with behaviour and people will 'understand'. It's a little bit different for me because I've suffered major illness back then, and now am finally feeling like "I have all my shit together" and am on the upward climb :)

So has the prime of your life already happened/ you've already experienced it? What's it like? When do you think it should happen, if not? And why? :)

I liked being 18 and 19 best, I absolutely hated 13-15, and 16-17 were merely alright.

Being a teenager is an exciting time because you're old enough to be able to think critically/process 'big' ideas, but you're not old enough to realize that these ideas aren't exactly essential to your needs/new to anyone else. People are more impressed by you, and you mostly don't realize that it's actually because their expectations are lower… and they give you a lot more slack. There's still time to make the big decisions about yourself, and people don't judge you in terms of your socioeconomic standing (well, they do, but all of your peers are students and therefore still mostly equal). You can also abuse your body (in terms of drugs/alcohol) a lot more and get away with it, because you heal faster and don't have to work as hard to look/feel healthy. Your parents get a lot more permissive in your later teens and even though you're living under their roof/their rules, it's not like you're a kid and you still do have a lot of freedom… and there's just so much that is exciting and new at that time. Oh yeah, and you probably look good as well… I do miss being cute.

Still, I think it's pretty far from being the prime of your life. For the most part, you still don't have so much control over what you do with yourself… you're stuck in school and even though learning isn't exactly torture, it still sucks because you don't have financial independence and you can't just do whatever you want. And if you're unpopular/bullied then it can be absolute hell, because there's nowhere to go and you don't have the means to escape.

I'd have to say the prime of life is probably late 20s early 30s, depending on whether you're working a decent job or not. Money IS freedom, and financial independence means that you can do pretty much anything you want, as long as its legal. Even the little things like eating whatever you want for dinner whenever you want, or going out for a run in the middle of the night, or not having to explain where you were, etc. are pretty awesome. It's harder to make friends, though… the whole socioeconomic boundaries thing is a pretty big deal, and people are more self-defined so they're less likely to have a lot of things in common.

But you get to spoil yourself with presents, donate to causes you care about, travel to other countries on your holidays, discover all kinds of new things about yourself, and best of all, you start improving yourself for the sake of improving yourself (as opposed to having someone TELL you to improve yourself unless you want to be a loser at life). I guess some people do that anyways, but I could never afford it until about 5 or 6 years ago-- it was either debt or something else.

I would say most of the people who reflect on their teenage years as the 'best years' are probably married with children and lamenting the loss of their independence.

I really do hope that the best years of my life are yet to come… I've had some ups and downs over the past little while but overall it has been much better than when I was growing up.

Apart from 16, the next best part has been early 30s. There's a feeling of more freedom and self acceptance, and consequently a greater sense of accomplishment after 10 years in a career, and more focus on personal goals and freedom to be oneself and not follow the crowd so to speak. In any case, I don't think I'm even close to the prime of my life. There is an overemphasis on youth as the only or truely best time of your life. Honestly, my childhood sucked, and also my teen years. It wasn't fun. I can't look back on it as the best time because there many issues going on.

In any case, I've heard more 40s, 50s, and even 60s women at least, describe those years as the best years. Your sense of self is more complete, you're had a lifetime of experiences, you've been through enough to know what works and doesn't work, and you don't feel as obligated to do live or feel as the world expects you. So, at mid 30s, I'm not going to declare I've reached my prime yet. I think the best may still yet come. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: muir
I think during adult life you always look back 10-15 years and see them as your prime years.
In the moment it never seems like you are in your prime.

Like the saying goes. "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

In the end the best attitude to live by is that whatever age you currently are, you are in your prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: muir
I keep thinking it is right now....

I keep thinking [MENTION=1939]Stu[/MENTION] is either right or wrong.

18 to mid 30s.

Actually, I think it will never happen but I feel that it is happening now.

From the perspective of intellectual, emotional, and physical stamina all working together; I would say around 30 because at this age even though people aren't at the simultaneous optimum of all of these, they are at an equilibrium in all of them (if that makes any sense). I feel that people don't reach emotional maturity until later in life (some never get there), yet reach sexual and physical stamina at a young age, and then intellectual abilities can both increase and decrease with age depending on the individual. The stages of human development change. Historically people didn't live past 35, so the stages of development were different then, then they are now. I'm sure the future may bring something different as we evolve as a species. Interesting topic.

I think the prime of my life is yet to happen. I haven't been in tune with myself enough before, and I am currently at a crossroad and have no idea what the future might bring. I eagerly long for the day I can feel happy with myself and who I have become, and stand steady and independent. Not to say I haven't had it good earlier but hey, I'm still young...

My mid to late twenties were probably the best time of my life. Although I wish I had prepared better for that time because I feel like I squandered a big part of it.