Kgal

Gone
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9 Mediator
I first discovered Jill Bolte Taylor back in 2007 when she gave a presentation on her brain stroke. She was hyper focused on her brain while it was happening ....noticing step by step the process of her consciousness while the brain was losing vital life force energy of the blood flow. It's a mind blowing presentation.
Yesterday a friend of mine shared her book and how it helped her understand her own journey of awakening to Self. I found this quiz and it describes me perfectly.
May we all expand our understanding of our selves!

"According to Harvard-trained neuroscientist Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor, the brain has four distinct subsections that influence our day-to-day lives. There are two emotional centers and two thinking centers—and these centers (which Dr. Jill thinks of as the “Four Characters” of your brain) each have their own skill-sets and strengths. While we have all Four Characters in our brain at all times, you may find that one is dominant while another rarely shows up. To truly live a life of peace, ease, and joy, you must bring these characters into conversation so you can choose which should take the lead in any situation. And the first step of that process is recognizing which is your primary character."

https://explore.hayhouse.com/sf/36b567e6

:thonking::<3green:

Reactions: Wildfire and Kgal
My results: :<3blue:

***For you—that is Character 4: You Are Right-Thinking Dominant!

As a Character 4, you delight in the glorious bliss of just being alive. You revel in the wonder of nature, have a strong bond with mother earth, and empathize with both people and animals. The strength of the trees…the scent of a flower…the light touch of a spring breeze…or the babble of a small brook make you stop in awe; and you know, deep in the center of your being, that we are all family here—together in a shared, sacred consciousness.

When you’re in a situation where things aren’t flowing with ease and peace, this is often a sign that your dominant character isn’t suited to the role of leader. As a Character 4, however, you have a wonderful capacity to see the bigger picture, so you can use this to your advantage. In any moment of unease try to take these conscious actions:

Stop. Close your eyes. Inhale deeply, and then exhale a long breath. Do this a few times and then open your eyes and try to focus on one small task. Your conscious effort to focus on the present moment rather than the bigger picture will open you up to the insight from your other characters. By allowing the best version of you to take the lead, you’ll not only find more peace but also bring forth a better outcome.****

Her suggestion for bringing one's self in to the present moment is something I use all the time....and it's easier and easier to do now. Switching back and forth from the Multidimensional perspective to the Human perspective was sort of creating a cognitive dissonance within me for a long while there. The knowings you integrate along the way of the journey of remembering who you truly are can make one think they are "losing their Mind". In my direct experience one does Not lose the Mind....they lose the parts of their Ego that get in the way of the Remembering.....which generally relates to trauma experiences during one's life.

Doubt continues to diminish with each experience and lo and behold I still have Mind. Heh heh. Actually I have more Mind capacity for new ideas than ever before.

She nails it with pointing out my absolute love for Nature...and I know without doubt we are alllllll family here walking this planet.

Try it and see what you find out about your Self.

This is the old TED video where she describes the moment by moment progression of her brain stroke.

lol I am the opposite - I am a Left Thinking Dominant apparently? I don't think I resonate with much of it.

For you—that is Character 1: You Are Left-Thinking Dominant!

As a Character 1, you wake up bright eyed and ready to go (no lol). You see the day as something
to conquer—and you do a great job at it. You love routines and efficiency, and you thrive
on crossing things off your to-do list (I like the idea of it but I don't practice it). In any situation—whether it’s at work, volunteering, or
even hanging out with friends—you are an effective organizer as you see all the details of a
situation and can easily manage people, places, and things. You are a gifted (I wouldn't go that far) rational thinker
with a strong mastery of reality, so you reason your way to the best decision. And because
you take time to think though all the details of a situation, you willingly take responsibility for
what you do and the outcomes of your actions. (yes)

You not only have high-performance habits—you also have high standards. You strive for the
best in all situations, you keep your home neat, you attend meetings on time, you keep your
material goods in good condition, and everything is kept in order. (Sort of but that's ADHD for you.)

As a Character 1, you are your own self critic and consistently compare yourself with others.
You see every day as a chance to sharpen your skills, and it is important to you to bring your
most efficient self forward, and of course you expect others to do the same—which can cause
a bit of trouble when others are not feeling cooperative. (only under certain conditions)

The natural tendencies of Character 1 are great in many situations, but this is not your
most compassionate or playful self (lol understatement. What is compassion? What is play?). That’s why it’s important to get to know all four of your
characters so you can bring them all into conversation, allowing you to adapt your behavior
when it’s appropriate. There are times when your protective Character 2 or your spontaneous
Character 3 might be a better match to a situation. Or perhaps your Character 4—with its
more expansive view of the world—is the one who should take the helm.

For example, when you are in a trying situation where things are not flowing with ease and
peace, instead of forcing the situation, this might be a good opportunity for your Character 1 to
step aside, allowing your more compassionate Character 4 to step in to find a resolution.

The natural tendencies of Character 1 are great in many situations, but this is not your
most compassionate or playful self (lol understatement. What is compassion? What is play?).

Hahaha.... exactly! That's why I insist on myself bringing in nonsensical silly actions every day so I can laugh.
Even if I feel intensely grumpy....I make time to act silly. It's one effective way I bring compassion to myself for myself.
I realize you're health doesn't allow you to be your best self(selves) right now. I am dealing with the same. So getting up and moving around can be challenging some days.
But when you do feel like being silly....Practice walking backwards in a safe area like in your home. Walking from the kitchen to the bathroom for example down the hall. Practice looking out around you as you walk. Sense your balance shifting. Sense your unease. Listen to your mind chatter about how stupid this practice is.
It's very empowering and mind expanding.
Also... you might end up giggling at yourself. ;)
....which is the gift.

Reactions: Wildfire
Listen to your mind chatter about how stupid this practice is.
This sounds like the easiest part! LOL

I have a feeling that a lot of results I get on a variety of tests are due to the current state of my body and mind. Once I am well It'll be interesting to revisit some of these things and see how much of it changes. Right now most of my perspective is clouded by survival mode.

Reactions: Wildfire
My results: :<3blue:

***For you—that is Character 4: You Are Right-Thinking Dominant!

As a Character 4, you delight in the glorious bliss of just being alive. You revel in the wonder of nature, have a strong bond with mother earth, and empathize with both people and animals. The strength of the trees…the scent of a flower…the light touch of a spring breeze…or the babble of a small brook make you stop in awe; and you know, deep in the center of your being, that we are all family here—together in a shared, sacred consciousness.

When you’re in a situation where things aren’t flowing with ease and peace, this is often a sign that your dominant character isn’t suited to the role of leader. As a Character 4, however, you have a wonderful capacity to see the bigger picture, so you can use this to your advantage. In any moment of unease try to take these conscious actions:

Stop. Close your eyes. Inhale deeply, and then exhale a long breath. Do this a few times and then open your eyes and try to focus on one small task. Your conscious effort to focus on the present moment rather than the bigger picture will open you up to the insight from your other characters. By allowing the best version of you to take the lead, you’ll not only find more peace but also bring forth a better outcome.****

Her suggestion for bringing one's self in to the present moment is something I use all the time....and it's easier and easier to do now. Switching back and forth from the Multidimensional perspective to the Human perspective was sort of creating a cognitive dissonance within me for a long while there. The knowings you integrate along the way of the journey of remembering who you truly are can make one think they are "losing their Mind". In my direct experience one does Not lose the Mind....they lose the parts of their Ego that get in the way of the Remembering.....which generally relates to trauma experiences during one's life.

Doubt continues to diminish with each experience and lo and behold I still have Mind. Heh heh. Actually I have more Mind capacity for new ideas than ever before.

She nails it with pointing out my absolute love for Nature...and I know without doubt we are alllllll family here walking this planet.

Try it and see what you find out about your Self.

This is the old TED video where she describes the moment by moment progression of her brain stroke.
I got the same result, K. Intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

For you—that is Character 3: You Are Right-Emotional Dominant!

As a Character 3, you:

• Love being active and have a youthful spirit.
  • Have no problem staying in the present moment, as simply being in the rain, or any weather for that matter, brings you joy.

• Are witty and hilarious, often laughing so hard that you’ll have to gasp for air.
  • Tend to wear your heart on your sleeve, and you feel camaraderie with everyone who is in your pack.
  • Enjoy meeting people face-to-face so you can do things.
  • Thrive when you’re connected to a community—and to yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how accurate this is, but if I take it as meaning what my best self is like then maybe.

For you—that is Character 3: You Are Right-Emotional Dominant!

As a Character 3, you:

• Have no problem staying in the present moment, as simply being in the rain, or any weather for that matter, brings you joy.

• Are witty and hilarious, often laughing so hard that you’ll have to gasp for air.
  • Tend to wear your heart on your sleeve, and you feel camaraderie with everyone who is in your pack.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how accurate this is, but if I take it as meaning what my best self is like then maybe.
Well, your best self sounds absolutely lovely.

Do you feel that you can access the 'present moment' easily? It eludes me often, no matter how hard I try.

Well, your best self sounds absolutely lovely.

Note on that, I also wasn't sure about my answers to some of these and with one change got a different result so...there's that too. XD

If you're interested:

For you—that is Character 2: You Are Left-Emotional Dominant!

As a Character 2, you:

• Are a powerful guardian who holds the past in memory to enhance your safety, which means you can spot injustice, danger, insincerity, and less-than-honorable intentions in the blink of an eye.
  • Experience deep, deep emotions—the highs of love, the depths of despair, and everything in between.

• Experience life as an ongoing dramatic event, and it can be exhausting.
  • Love more deeply than most people can imagine, which can be both delicious and exhausting.

First part is accurate, so was third when I was like a teenager. I guess second could've been accurate to young-me too. Fourth is not.

Do you feel that you can access the 'present moment' easily? It eludes me often, no matter how hard I try.

In some ways I think I'm too oriented to the moment, in some ways not enough, hah. It's pretty easy for me to not worry about the future most of the time. I sometimes think about what I should have said or done or what I did at other points but when people describe, like, regretting old political views or stuff like that I can't relate. I think I probably feel regret less than average.

I wanna be more future oriented honestly. People with strong goals are really cool. :)

Reactions: Wyote and Anomaly
Note on that, I also wasn't sure about my answers to some of these and with one change got a different result so...there's that too. XD

If you're interested:

As a Character 2, you:

• Are a powerful guardian who holds the past in memory to enhance your safety, which means you can spot injustice, danger, insincerity, and less-than-honorable intentions in the blink of an eye.
  • Experience deep, deep emotions—the highs of love, the depths of despair, and everything in between.

• Experience life as an ongoing dramatic event, and it can be exhausting.
  • Love more deeply than most people can imagine, which can be both delicious and exhausting.

First part is accurate, so was third when I was like a teenager. I guess second could've been accurate to young-me too. Fourth is not.

In some ways I think I'm too oriented to the moment, in some ways not enough, hah. It's pretty easy for me to not worry about the future most of the time. I sometimes think about what I should have said or done or what I did at other points but when people describe, like, regretting old political views or stuff like that I can't relate. I think I probably feel regret less than average.

I wanna be more future oriented honestly. People with strong goals are really cool. :)
Interesting. I also struggled a bit with some of the answers, as I do with a lot of these tests. Many require you to be in a mood or state of being that is your typical, in order to achieve a result that would be more so relevant. Ultimately, it's more fun than anything. I'm glad you took the time to answer, and I appreciate you sating my curiosity. I don't think we've interacted much outside of the 'favorite myths' thread, so it's nice to have the opportunity.

I see a few correlations with cognitive functions to the test results, which is intriguing. It reminds me of the work of Dr. Dario Nardi. If you're not familiar, he has been running trials in brain mapping and personality; further, discovering patterns interlinking brain signals with the use of a particular function set. It would be interesting if the theories involving cognitive function use could be proven using his research. I think any brain tests like the one here, allude to a sort of symmetry with the research, albeit informally.

Regret is an interesting emotion. I think past a certain point it can turn into spiraling or obsession. We have to let some things go once we face them. So, I'm with you there. I don't really remember my past. I barely remember last week. Most of my past is thematic units of events, persons, circumstances-- interwoven with a resounding emotion attached. When I think back it is difficult to pinpoint an exact memory unless it was extreme (in the case of trauma or pure joy), and even still pieces drift and I struggle to put them together. I tend to look forward instead of back, as it isn't helpful in the least. Do you experience the past like that? If not, how do you experience it?

As for being too oriented to the moment, I can understand that you'd focus more on the day to day, since it is the only thing you have any direct influence over with a degree of certainty. I plan for my future based one main question: I usually ask myself if what is important to me now will also be important to me in five years/ten years, etc. If the answer is yes, then I act on it, and try to come up with some means of manifesting it in the long-term. An example, financially, I have made sure I am debt-free and set up for the most part, should anything happen (save any sort of unforeseen disaster occurring). Part of that was influenced by growing up extremely poor and relying on others for support. I suppose it is a safety net not to have to rely on anyone but myself. My future goals are a bit scrambled at the moment, given some major life changes, but that's the uncertainty of the future messing up what was originally intended in the past. We can't know, so it's best to just plan with some contingencies and hope for the best. Do you struggle with making goals for the future? What is your process like?

I apologize for my verbosity, your reply sparked a lot of curious thoughts I've had lately. If you'd rather discuss these things in a PM or elsewhere like my blog, let me know. I don't wish to take away from the main purpose of the thread itself.

Reactions: Wyote and Krypton

As a Character 2, you are a powerful guardian who holds the past in memory to enhance your safety, which means you can spot injustice, danger, insincerity, and less-than-honorable intentions in the blink of an eye.

In addition, you experience deep, deep emotions—the highs of love, the depths of despair, and everything in between. As a Character 2, life is an ongoing dramatic event, and it can be exhausting. You love more deeply than most people can even imagine, so your days may be filled with worry about those you love. Living life at this level of passion can be both delicious and exhausting, so knowing how to find relief and lower your stress is essential.

The natural tendencies of Character 2 can be extraordinarily useful in threatening situations, but they can also lead to you becoming disillusioned with life, feeling like a victim, and being melancholic in temperament. This can, in turn, leave you feeling isolated and alone.

Character 4: You Are Right-Thinking Dominant!

As a Character 4, you:
  • Delight in the glorious bliss of just being alive.

• Revel in the wonder of nature, have a strong bond with mother earth, and empathize with both people and animals.

• Love nature deeply – the strength of the trees…the scent of a flower…the light touch of a spring breeze…or the babble of a small brook make you stop in awe.
  • Know, deep in the center of your being, that we are all family here—together in a shared, sacred consciousness.
Sounds about right.
Yaisse.gif

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Wyote and Kgal

As a Character 2, you are a powerful guardian who holds the past in memory to enhance your safety, which means you can spot injustice, danger, insincerity, and less-than-honorable intentions in the blink of an eye.

In addition, you experience deep, deep emotions—the highs of love, the depths of despair, and everything in between. As a Character 2, life is an ongoing dramatic event, and it can be exhausting. You love more deeply than most people can even imagine, so your days may be filled with worry about those you love. Living life at this level of passion can be both delicious and exhausting, so knowing how to find relief and lower your stress is essential.

The natural tendencies of Character 2 can be extraordinarily useful in threatening situations, but they can also lead to you becoming disillusioned with life, feeling like a victim, and being melancholic in temperament. This can, in turn, leave you feeling isolated and alone.

Those are excellent characteristics to embody and I'd say it's true of you. ;)

Reactions: Cornerstone
Those are excellent characteristics to embody and I'd say it's true of you. ;)

I did actually relate to that much moreso than other responses. Funny, your reply came in at 1:11 my time. I'm not allowed out, am I?

Reactions: Kgal
Character 3- Right Emotional Dominant

As a Character 3, you:

Yes, I'd say that's a lot about me. :)

Reactions: Kgal
I did actually relate to that much moreso than other responses. Funny, your reply came in at 1:11 my time. I'm not allowed out, am I?
Hahahaha!
You're allowed. ;)

Reactions: Cornerstone