^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I suppose its time for me to post something queer related. Pretty much all GLBT people who pay any attention know about Leelah Alcorn, a 17 year old trans girl who killed herself after having been forced to attend religious conversion therapy to convince her that she is not transgender. See article here.

WASHINGTON – A 17-year-old transgender youth, Leelah Alcorn, stunned her friends and a vast Internet audience in December when she threw herself in front of a tractor-trailer after writing in an online suicide note that religious therapists had tried to convert her back to being a boy.
In response, President Obama is calling for an end to such therapies aimed at “repairing” gay, lesbian and transgender youth. His decision on the issue is the latest example of his continuing embrace of gay rights.

She said in her suicide note that she wanted her death to mean something. So the best way to do that is to show people that you cannot pray away the gay, and you can't pray away the trans either.

I know someone IRL that grew up in a very rural area in a highly religious family, so when she transitioned, she went through a lot of similar torment and was disowned by a large part of her family, including her own mother. It is terrible what some people go through, and Leelah's death is a tragedy.

I think that it is extremely unfortunate that most churches aren't accepting of GLBT people because I think that queer people would really embrace religion if they were accepted by it. There is nothing about being transgender in the Bible aside from a part in Deuteronomy about crossdressing (22:5), which is right next to the part about how women should have to marry their rapists (22:28-29).

For those of you that aren't queer, have you heard of this? And what are your thoughts on it?

Reactions: invisible
I <3 O'Bama (he's my fav Pres!)

Good.
Can we try to be a bit more scientific in this country…it wouldn’t kill us.
ignorant.jpg

Her father.

We love our son, Joshua

Leelah_s_father_responds__We_loved_our_s_2417700000_12110720_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Even after her death. After she killed herself.

I just. I can't.

I am very glad conversion therapy was banned. There's still so much more work to be done.

I think the symbology of the lance in the side of Jesus has sex magick connotations...no really