Predators!

Detective Conan

Doesn't Cast Shadows
Jun 9, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
No, I'm not going to ask anyone to take a seat (you know who you are, so consider yourself lucky this time).

I'm talking about the movie that came out yesterday called Predators.

I have to say, I think this movie is a drastic improvement to what we've seen in recent years from the Predator/AVP franchises. In case you haven't seen the previews for this film, Predators takes place on an alien planet used as a preserve for game. Every season, the Predators take species from other planets and drop them in the preserve to hunt. In a way, this movie feels like a play on the plot/ideas presented in the story 'The Most Dangerous Game,' since all the people dropped on the planet are, in their own way, hunters of other humans. Much of the dialogue helps emphasize this idea and some of it helps portray how the characters feel about the 'monsters' they've become.

The action in this movie was pretty intense, keeping the suspense one would expect from a Predator movie. In this movie, like AVP, there are three primary Predators for our 'heroes' to worry about. However, being on a game preserve, we see other kinds of wildlife as well (only two, but the scenes are intense/beautiful to look at nonetheless). The special effects went a long way to bring the environment and creatures to life in the movie.

I know I discussed the plot above, but let's talk about the actors for a bit. Predators is yet another movie to boast a pretty strong cast, but it doesn't feel as gimmicky as it did in other recent films (such as Old Dogs). They all did a great job of the roles they took, and I believe their performances made the audience react according to a character (so if we were supposed to dislike someone, they did it without over-doing it). However, being as most of these people come from action movies/television series', fans of the actors won't exactly be wowed with the performances since it's more of the same stuff. I will say that Topher Grace (from That 70s Show and Spider-Man 3) did a great job in the role he had.

Also, I enjoyed how this movie didn't entirely stand-off from previous movies, giving the first movie a little attention through dialogue. Using the first movie as a standard for the Predator franchise, this movie is a bit of a mixed-bag. Where the first movie was mostly about stealth, this one gave way to brute force and lots of explosions. Toward the end, though, things got really good and made this move worthy of the Predator name.

Anyone else see this movie?

Reactions: Blind Bandit
What rating is it?

If I don't see anyone being skinned then it still doesn't have the charm of the earlier movies.

That said I'm still gonna see it, being a fan boy of the series and all.

What rating is it?

If I don't see anyone being skinned then it still doesn't have the charm of the earlier movies.

It's rated R, and sadly, I'm quite sure that there were not any skinned people in the movie at all. But there is quite a bit of gore toward the end.

Like I said, it's a bit of a mixed-bag compared to the earlier movies =\

It's rated R, and sadly, I'm quite sure that there were not any skinned people in the movie at all. But there is quite a bit of gore toward the end.

Like I said, it's a bit of a mixed-bag compared to the earlier movies =\

And R would be?

And R would be?

Restricted for viewers under 17 without the supervision of an adult. In this case, because of the cursing, references to sex, and the violence... oh the violence.

If you meant a personal rating, I'd give it a 3 out of 5. The unsatisfying ending (after all the action) was quite a bummer.

What rating is it?

//HEAVY SIGH

Ok fine we can go see it...

What rating is it?
7.6/10 on IMDb, which for this kind of movies is very high. Also Academy Award winner Adrien Brody leads the cast.

I'm definitely an Alien > Predator fan, probably because the original Alien series had: more parts, better directors, better composers, more complex biological features of the creatures. So, by comparison, I never really appreciated the Predators. They are just ugly, invisible and boring. (hence, in Starcraft I like the Zerg more than the Protoss)

AvP is like THE WORST idea ever! The only thing these two stories have in common is H.R.Giger designing the main concepts. When I first heard about AvP, I was furious. While all the true fans were waiting for new movies of the original series, some jerks were tossing this nonsense, just to capitalize on the large fanbase. Extremely distasteful! It should have remained a third rate video game, which no one in their right mind would play.

So... I'm super happy to see original series turning back to their pure roots. Now, give us Alien 5 finally!! You know who I'd love to see make it - Darren Aronofsky. I want a movie that takes what Fincher did in Alien 3 to a whole new level. Turn a horror/action/thriller movie into a mysterious philosophical/psychological movie, a la Kubrick. That would be awesome!

7.6/10 on IMDb, which for this kind of movies is very high. Also Academy Award winner Adrien Brody leads the cast.

I'm definitely an Alien > Predator fan, probably because the original Alien series had: more parts, better directors, better composers, more complex biological features of the creatures. So, by comparison, I never really appreciated the Predators. They are just ugly, invisible and boring. (hence, in Starcraft I like the Zerg more than the Protoss)

AvP is like THE WORST idea ever! The only thing these two stories have in common is H.R.Giger designing the main concepts. When I first heard about AvP, I was furious. While all the true fans were waiting for new movies of the original series, some jerks were tossing this nonsense, just to capitalize on the large fanbase. Extremely distasteful! It should have remained a third rate video game, which no one in their right mind would play.

So... I'm super happy to see original series turning back to their pure roots. Now, give us Alien 5 finally!! You know who I'd love to see make it - Darren Aronofsky. I want a movie that takes what Fincher did in Alien 3 to a whole new level. Turn a horror/action/thriller movie into a mysterious philosophical/psychological movie, a la Kubrick. That would be awesome!

I also enjoyed the Alien series more than the Predator series, but I felt that after Aliens, the franchise started going downhill. Alien 3 wasn't terrible; not great, but it just didn't live up to Aliens (for me, the plot felt like it was moving at a crawl here). Alien: Resurrection... I'll be the first to admit that this one had some great scenes, but the underlying plot just did not swim well with me (no pun intended). If Alien 5 can break the trend, I'd be one happy fan.

AvP wasn't bad if you take it as fan service. Being a fan of the Queen Alien design, I was glad to see the thing in action again (I don't count being bloated, pregnant, and giving birth to an Alien that kills her as "in action"). AvP:R is another story in and of its own.

That all being said, I think Alien 5 will be due next year or even the year after. I doubt it'll come out this year, otherwise they'd be selling the crap out of it by now.

That all being said, I think Alien 5 will be due next year or even the year after.
Sweet wish, but is there a serious reason to expect it? Because... we've been like that on-and-off for 13 years. Another great direction for the series is to take it back to the Aliens (2nd movie) full blown action; and perhaps with Cameron again. But this time make it a full war of the worlds on the surface of the Earth. Those are basically two twists we haven't seen yet - the pure abstract Kubrik/Tarkovsky-style, and the massive war/apocalyptic mode.

About the numbers in the Alien series, I never got why most people like Aliens (2) the best. Perhaps I'm more of a small cast thriller fan, or it's the directors*, but my favorite numbers were the odd ones - 1 and 3, with 2 and 4 just being less intense on my psyche. Anyway, that's another element of the Alien series which I love: each director bringing a whole new meaning to the same story; the next movie always very different from the previous one. That's why I advocate Alien 5 being the conceptual philosophical movie first (with very few characters, perhaps, even fewer than 1 and 3), and then Alien 6 turning hell on earth loose on massive scales and epicness, unseen before (Cameron knows how to do these things).

______
(*) Cameron is probably the greatest living director in every aspect, except, well, directing.

Last edited:
Sweet wish, but is there a serious reason to expect it?

Just going off the recent trends in movies. They brought back Halloween, then they brought back Friday the 13th, then they brought back a Nightmare on Elmstreet. I dunno, it just seems reasonable to think that Alien 5 will follow the Predator revival based on the recent trends in cinema.

Reactions: enfp can be shy
I don't particularly like movie theatres - they smell of old pop-corn (and mice/rats if they are not carefully cleaned after every single film), they are crowded, they are over air-conditioned, blah, blah, blah...

given that, would you say it is worth my going to the cinema to watch it (predators)?

I don't particularly like movie theatres - they smell of old pop-corn (and mice/rats if they are not carefully cleaned after every single film), they are crowded, they are over air-conditioned, blah, blah, blah...

given that, would you say it is worth my going to the cinema to watch it (predators)?

Well, if you generally dislike the atmosphere of movie theaters, I don't think it would be worth it. The move was pretty well-packed when I went to see it and I'd gamble to say it'll be packed in other places.

Unless you're a huge HUGE Predator fan boy, then I don't think the movie is ALL that worth to see in theaters. Wait for a DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Copy in the fall instead. If you are a huge Predator fan boy, then by all means, it is a must-see.