Post-punk for Dummies | INFJ Forum

Post-punk for Dummies

Ren

Seeker at heart
Oct 10, 2017
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
This thread shamelessly follows the template of @Happy Phantom's Punk rock for Dummies thread but with a focus on post-punk music.

Please share your post-punk gems here! Any related genre applies (synthpop, goth rock, art punk, noise rock, new wave, post-hardcore, alternative dance, etc.)

Punk is a sub-culture I've always found gaudy and overdone, excessive really. I say this a person who, to an extent, aspires to reaching the pinnacle of this subculture.

Here's some Synthpop for you, in line with my ethics.

Last edited:
This thread shamelessly follows the template of @Happy Phantom's Punk rock for Dummies thread but with a focus on post-punk music.

Please share your post-punk gems here! Any related genre applies (synthpop, goth rock, art punk, noise rock, new wave, post-hardcore, alternative dance, etc.)

Well damn. I was gonna post Mission of Burma. So here's this instead.

What's the message of these guys (Pet Shop Boys)? I just discovered them 14 minutes ago.
I first discovered Neil Tennant when he was a news editor for Smash Hits magazine in 1982. Not long after that West End Girls was released and I was like hey I remember that name!

I first discovered Neil Tennant when he was a news editor for Smash Hits magazine in 1982. Not long after that West End Girls was released and I was like hey I remember that name!
I've listened to West End Girls before. You think I'd be a good fit for the 80s?

This song is so good. Christ, I've been missing out.
“The Flapper awoke from her lethargy of sub-deb-ism, bobbed her hair, put on her choicest pair of earrings and a great deal of audacity and rouge and went into the battle. She flirted because it was fun to flirt and wore a one-piece bathing suit because she had a good figure, she covered her face with powder and paint because she didn't need it and she refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring. She was conscious that the things she did were the things she had always wanted to do. Mothers disapproved of their sons taking the Flapper to dances, to teas, to swim and most of all to heart. She had mostly masculine friends, but youth does not need friends - it needs only crowds...”

Reactions: Asa, Ren and Wyote
“The Flapper awoke from her lethargy of sub-deb-ism, bobbed her hair, put on her choicest pair of earrings and a great deal of audacity and rouge and went into the battle. She flirted because it was fun to flirt and wore a one-piece bathing suit because she had a good figure, she covered her face with powder and paint because she didn't need it and she refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring. She was conscious that the things she did were the things she had always wanted to do. Mothers disapproved of their sons taking the Flapper to dances, to teas, to swim and most of all to heart. She had mostly masculine friends, but youth does not need friends - it needs only crowds...”
Wow. She was a very capable writer in her own right, I only knew of her husband.

This is the first Pet Shop Boys song I ever heard, and I was pretty much in love from there lolllll

I see that this post-punk discussion has quickly gone in a synth-pop direction... which is nice! You guys seem to know Pet Shop Boys very well. What album do you think I should listen to first? Strangely enough I'm not very familiar familiar with their music.

Two of my favorite synth pop tunes:

@Asa your music never disappoints ;) Here's another Devo song I love, featured in Life Aquatic I believe. Soooooo good. I also love Bauhaus.

@Milktoast Bandit Thank you for sharing the truly post-punk tracks on this thread. :p Minutemen and Gang of Four are amazing! So are Talking Heads and Television, and I did pick up your uber hipsterism in sharing a Television song from the other album, hehe.

We need some Wire. @Skarekrow apologies if you already shared those in the punk thread.

Last edited: