Positivity challenge on facebook and other social media | INFJ Forum

Positivity challenge on facebook and other social media

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
I think this follows the water bucket challenge thing, you post three positive things, for seven days, you nominate three more people each day who are expected to do the same, the idea is that it will create a ripple effect of positive thinking. What are you views on this kind of thing? Probably reflect your views on positive thinking per se but anyway.

I've seen many people I know who have been challenged to do it and are doing it. I don't want to be challenged and have not been paying close attention to people's posts about it, not because I don't like or believe in positive thinking (I do and practice it), but more because I don't like Facebook or this constant need to share every personal thought, feeling and idea that people have to the world. I don't like to put people on the spot with challenges because it can make them feel uncomfortable and I don't like to be challenged myself because I'm just not interested in sharing my personal thought with my Facebook 'friends'. I do not post any personal thoughts on Facebook and hardly ever post anything, the only time I do is if I saw something truly impressive or inspirational and that is very infrequent. I don't personally feel that Facebook is the right medium to share personal thoughts and information.

Why is positive thinking something that is always encouraged? When are we gonna face how shitty things are?

Why is positive thinking something that is always encouraged? When are we gonna face how shitty things are?

The truth hurts. I don't like pain; lie to me.

It's just another way to preen your identity for an audience.

If you want to think positive, do it in your own mind and let it be reflected in your actions - not your fucking facebook update.

It's just another way to preen your identity for an audience.

If you want to think positive, do it in your own mind and let it be reflected in your actions - not your fucking facebook update.

You know when a celebrity kills themselves and everyone has to post a lengthy but barely substantive essay about the dangers of depression, drug usage, etc.?

This is like that only more insufferable.

The whole thing is idiotic.

I deactivated my FB account about 8 weeks ago but was mostly positive whilst there as I am mostly positive anyway.

I do however have an aversion to following things when told to on networks, or even generally. It ruins the search for inspiration or reason so I avoided such things during my FB experience. I sometimes like to observe others participating in such activities but it is rare. For example, the wearing no make up for cancer thing annoyed me greatly. Now, I don't really wear make up often aside from subtle mascara which can become more daring of an evening, yet many posted without donating. What was the point of that? There was in fact no point.

So, if a comment is positive it is of itself useful. If it encourages others to see things a little more clearly, great but I do wonder if really things could be so awful as we need to prod others into action, which may not be genuine.

Still, I don't mind that much really - but feel glad to be missing this on FB.

I think its encouraged because of the popularity of CBT and similar theories or theorising that there's a negativity and pessimism bias among most people as a legacy of early life which requires the learned optimism or positivity to correct it and provide a coping strategy.

I do believe that fb somehow creates/promotes/encourages these somehow. Social medias appeal is waning.