i know nothing
Dec 16, 2011
aus
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
1w9
Do you eat meat?

What do you think/feel about eating meat?
What animals do you eat?
Do you or would you consider killing animals yourself to eat?
Do you buy organic meat or ethcial meat?

Edit:
fifth option: Do you eat meat but consider where and how you meat is produced- eg- how the animals are treated, what they are fed, how they are slaughtered, the ecological impact to the environment and heath impacts to your body?

I want to include the 5th option into the poll but i dont know how. Sorry that the poll is not broad enough

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
Yes, I do eat meat. Chicken, beef, lamb, turkey - main ones. Recently tried some elk :p I dont really think about it at all right now, at one point in my life I was really disgusted at myself for it, tried going vegetarian, but I didnt do it right, exhausted myself enormously and nearly ended up in hospital. Might be because I was force-fed meat in childhood and I just cant feel full without it. I could not kill anything for myself to eat, Im still traumatized by the experience of having to cut whole raw chicken for the first time ever when I just started living an independent life (it didnt fit in the oven, bummer). And no, I am not distracted by organic/humane labeling, i think its been created to make people feel less guilty about eating the meat and i sincerely dont believe that it makes much difference how do the animals live if they get slaughtered in the end anyway :/

Do you eat meat?

Yes.

It's not something that I give a lot of consideration.

Overall, I don't have an ethical issue with eating meat. From my point of view meat is food, other animals eat animals, sometimes animals eat humans. We're all part of the food pyramid. All in moderation though, I'm not in favor of wasting food.

What animals do you eat?

I don't eat much meat, and neither does my family. Usually it's fish, chicken, beef and pork, as well as meat products.

I wouldn't.

Do you buy organic meat or consider where and how the animals were farmed and butchered?

I don't do meat shopping, so it's not something I'm exposed first hand. Overall, I would say that it depends. My family sometimes buys meat from big supermarkets, sometimes from butcher shops at the local farmer's market. I'm not sure how either of these treat their livestock, but my country is small and somewhat poor, and to my knowledge isn't a significant exporter so I'm assuming meat production is far less than in other countries, which probably lends to a more humane treatment of animals. In Serbia it's still possible for regular people make and sell their own meat and other produce, not everything's been taken over by huge mass producing corporations. If I had to guess, I would say that what westerners consider organic production is still fairly usual around here.

I don't pay attention to the stuff in supermarkets that's branded as organic because it's way too expensive, no matter what it is and I'm wary of green washing. If I want organic I'll buy from the people who bring their own stuff to farmer's markets to sell.

Do you eat meat? Yes

What do you think/feel about eating meat? It's very satisfying and gives me energy. I'm grateful for its availability.

What animals do you eat? Most of the varieties available commercially.

Do you or would you consider killing animals yourself to eat? Only if they were small animals/fish. I don't like waste.

Do you buy organic meat or consider where and how the animals were farmed and butchered? Organic meat tastes better, but I'll settle for less.

Given that we are omnivorous, I don't think there is an ethical issue surrounding the eating of meat. Perhaps there should be some consideration as to the treatment of livestock and its slaughter.

I would like to see work done on the domestication and improvement of other meat animals. Non ruminants, like Kangaroos would be a great meat herd, except they are impossible to farm and the meat quality needs work at present.

Do you eat meat?

What animals do you eat?
Do you buy organic meat or consider where and how the animals were farmed and butchered?

Yeah, I eat fish, poultry and occasionally red meat. For almost 10 years I ate large amts of that stuff because I was into fitness but now Ive toned it back quite a bit. Yesterday the only animal I ate was tuna -- does that count?

No, I wouldn't only because I don't really know how to process a dead animal. WTF would I do with it?

Yeah, I eat the expensive animals that get to enjoy a nice life.

Do you eat meat?
Sometimes
I am very mindful of what I'm eating and usually feel bad about it. I tried to be a vegetarian but developed an illness and the doctor told me I needed to eat some occasionally. I try to follow the Buddhist teaching of not eating anything that I know was killed specifically for me.
What animals do you eat?
Mostly fish, occasionally chicken, rarely beef or pork.
No way.
Not as much with fish, but chicken, beef or pork...yes, I am very picky about that.

Sometimes

I am very mindful of what I'm eating and usually feel bad about it. I tried to be a vegetarian but developed an illness and the doctor told me I needed to eat some occasionally. I try to follow the Buddhist teaching of not eating anything that I know was killed specifically for me.

Mostly fish, occasionally chicken, rarely beef or pork.

No way.

Not as much with fish, but chicken, beef or pork...yes, I am very picky about that.

I did the same thing, all of the sudden I was struck with this huge amt of guilt over eating meat and just stopped eating it completely. It was totally bizarre. I didn't really get "sick" but I did get unhealthy. I realized I was being stupid trying to out think evolution but I spend way too much money trying to cut back on the guilt -- I don't know why I started to feel so guilty about it.

Plus, its difficult to live in the Midwest and not eat meat.

I'm considering plunging into vegetarianism, but I still eat meat. Normally I would try to go for organic, but seeing as how I'm a poor student, sometimes I have to take what I can get.

I realized I was being stupid trying to out think evolution.

Plus, its difficult to live in the Midwest and not eat meat.

On the contrary, I think evolving would be to grow beyond our caveman ancestors and become more mindful and compassionate and less barbaric. I live in the Midwest, too, and I agree with you on that one. It can be difficult, but it can be done.

On the contrary, I think evolving would be to grow beyond our caveman ancestors and become more mindful and compassionate and less barbaric. I live in the Midwest, too, and I agree with you on that one. It can be difficult, but it can be done.

I hear you, and agree but that's out thinking it <3 we are just not there yet though some of us want to be

Did you ever have anyone get angry with you when you went veg? Because, I had some members of my family get upset about it. Course, that was after 10 years of a high protein diet. You'd think they'd let me take a break. I think they thought I was trying to hide an eating disorder...I wasn't! Lol.

Do you eat meat?

Yes

How tasty the meat is.

What animals do you eat?

Just about anything. I enjoy lamb, veal, rabbit, duck, venison, chicken, beef and numerous others.

I don't hunt but I would if the opportunity arises. I did go fishing when I was younger and it's so satisfying to eat salmon you caught yourself.

Sometimes, organic is quite a bit costlier but it tastes far better. It would depend on what I'm cooking.

I hear you, and agree but that's out thinking it <3 we are just not there yet though some of us want to be

Did you ever have anyone get angry with you when you went veg? Because, I had some members of my family get upset about it. Course, that was after 10 years of a high protein diet. You'd think they'd let me take a break. I think they thought I was trying to hide an eating disorder...I wasn't! Lol.

We'll never get there if we don't try.

No, no one ever got angry with me, but then again, I never tried to force it on anyone. For example, when my sister invited me to her place for Thanksgiving, I didn't make a fuss about her serving turkey; I ate it. One doesn't have to be a jerk about it, I don't think.

Do you eat meat?

What animals do you eat?

I'm in the process of transforming my entire view of food and I'm quite astonished at the changes going on within me.

I've been vegetarian in the past and it seems I'm moving that direction again. Only this time - I am more aware of what is good for me and what's not.

I quit eating pork years ago - although it took me a while to completely give up bacon and sausage. Those are staples of a southern US breakfast and dang it if my taste buds thought they were essential to my survival. :w:

30 years ago when I found out how veal is obtained I became intensely ill just at the thought of it. I grew up on a farm and played for years with calves. Sweet creatures and so lovable. I could imagine what it must be like to be raised in a small stall with NO sunlight - just so one could have white beef served on a plate with tomato sauce. It's soooo sad...

I have cried so many tears when I saw pig farms. I just couldn't bring myself to eat an animal that is so smart and familial as a pig after it was kept in conditions such as those. As a chicken farmer myself I have seen first hand the complete lack of awareness of animals for meat and the brutality of their existence in those farms. You think humans are mean to other humans? You should take a look at where the meat on your plate comes from...

When I went vegetarian this last time my body was already crashing from extreme stress and my doctor urged me to start eating meat. So I did. My body kept on crashing and I find myself very debilitated these days.

So...I'm looking for other answers and solutions.

Yes. I will eat animals that are wild raised and/or caught. On occasion when I visit my cousins. They hunt deer and wild hogs and I figure the animals lived a normal life before they died. Occasionally I'll buy range fed chickens and eggs. I won't eat commercially caught fish anymore. It makes me want to throw up when I contemplate it. Most of that is concern for the environment and species depletion.

Yes. I have killed and butchered my own meat. I have also fed/watered/cared for animals that were destined to be meat on the table. There is something very visceral about watching an animal grow just so you can consume it. When I was young and at home doing this for the family I became very attached to the animals. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and put my foot down. I told my father I would not do it anymore as it made me sick to see it on the table for dinner. So we stopped raising our own animals.

I cry to think about it all. To me there is something honorable about hunting - killing - and consuming what was hunted. This seems to fit with the natural order of things. The animal lived the life it was designed to do - it played out it's role in the ecosystem - and the human consumes good organic chemical free food.

Today's system of getting meat to your table is rife with torture and antibiotics and drugs and chemicals.

Last edited:
At this point in time, I feel that in general the food industry is largely unethical in a lot of ways. Be that because of the way the food is produced, farmed, or otherwise sold and traded. And not just food, but every consumer product unless otherwise noted likely has questionable ethics that went into its production. It is hard not to be a contributor to something that is unethical or otherwise distasteful in todays world because of how little information companies are required to share about their practices, and in other cases, how little alternative is offered freely and affordably to the general public. They are like any other business, ultimately in it for the money/profits. When large amounts of money is involved, my trust begins to decline rapidly.

I really do not feel like eating meat in and of itself is unethical. Human beings are omnivores. We are animals ourselves, and plenty of animals in the wild kill for their food. The current system I believe is what is ultimately flawed, not the act of consuming flesh itself.

My opinion is that in an ultimately ideal situation, those who choose to eat meat would hunt or fish for their meat or buy directly from hunters/fishermen, use all of the animal and not rely on factory farms. I suppose ethically farmed livestock from local farms would be an acceptable option as well. We would also ideally be buying produce exclusively from local farms and orchards.

I currently do eat meat, but sparingly. I try to buy ethically sourced meat, but I can't always find it or afford it. I try to buy organic, fair trade or local in general whenever I can whether that is meat, produce, or otherwise. I've tried veganism and vegetarianism but ended up falling away from them each time I've tried due to changes in living situation, availability, etc.

ETA- I would have voted in your poll but there was no option for "eats meat, but considers how it was produced". Not all of us who eat meat haven't thought about these things or do not care. Since I do not or cannot always buy organic or ethically sourced meat I don't feel honest in choosing that option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
Do you eat meat?

Yes

Long as it is cooked and seasoned properly it is mighty good eating.

What animals do you eat?

Any that aren't too expensive and pleasing to my palette really. Never had a chance to eat duck or lamb, tried quail one time and mmm, that was sooo good. Deer, cow, any fish really, pork, and chicken are my favorite animals to consume.

If I had the time I most certainly would to save money and give the creature the respect it deserves before I consume it. A lot of this would be based on necessity since I never actually hunted for sport, I used to stalk deer in the woods just to see how close I could get before they would notice me. I think if I ever got back into hunting I would do so with an atlatl and spears I made myself, probably go on a trip around my state to find good chert cobbles to make the bifaces from.

If it was the same price as the other meat then I probably have, I shop for price and make sure the meat looks right though...there are numerous chemicals they can and do use to make the meat look appealing in the packaging meh. Honestly I can't allow my mind to go down that road, enough things out there torment me for me to start getting agitated because I'm hungry.

I looked into the blood type diet because I have problems when I eat certain things...and have started to cut out pork from my diet. Corn is apparently really bad for me...which sucks because I love grits and I really really love cornbread. Pretty much all grains and pastas have a bad effect on me, anything that is derived from rice sits with me fine...but the biscuits and gravy I love chowing down on are terrible for me. I used to love eating blackened catfish and smoked salmon too but apparently those are not good for me either. Yay O-

Reactions: Kgal
Do you eat meat?
Yes

I always have so it isn't a big deal for me. That being said, I would like to reduce my meat intake and maybe one day I will stop eating it altogether.

What animals do you eat?
Chicken, beef and pork mostly. Turkey on Christmas Day and maybe a couple other times a year. Lamb very rarely.
I've also eaten Ostrich and Kangaroo.

Yeah, that would be ideal. I would only want to hunt them, though. The situation [MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION] described sounds good. They have a life until they meet me and it is as natural as it gets. It also might put me off meat.

I have thought about it and I am concerned about what animals are fed before they are killed. I reckon that must make a pretty big difference. I still remember having to stop eating beef when I was a kid because of the Mad Cow Disease caused by feeding cows...to cows. At least that's what I remember...it was pretty sick. I can't imagine they've all learned their lesson and everything is hunky-dory now so I am a bit concerned. Still, organic is a bit expensive and I don't even know if it is true. I think grass-fed beef would be the one I'd go for but money is tight and it's not really at the top of my to-do list.

I eat meat and fully understand how it's produced.

i eat seafood and chicken mostly, sometimes pork. no beef unless it's the rare burger at a fast food place.
i have two rules where eating meat is concerned. i don't eat 'baby' anything, and i don't eat meat that eats meat.

i don't see the point in becoming vegetarian where ethics are concerned. after all, just because you can't hear plants scream that doesn't mean they aren't alive just as much as a pig or chicken. everything we eat was once alive. face it you are killing something in order to survive whether you see it that way or not.

i happen to love plants. i nurture and respect them and allow/help them to flourish in my yard and garden. however, i have no problem eating them. (not my flowers mind you - yech)

i don't agree with mass produced meat or animals infused with antibiotics and other drugs. i don't spend a lot of time or money making sure i'm not eating that stuff however. i assume it's regulated by someone with more time than i have.

Vegetarian, although I don't eat that much dairy products etc.

No pork or shellfish, and very little beef and fish, but I adore poultry. I prefer free-range but I don't actively seek it out. I think it's ethical to eat meat simply because animals would probably eat us if they could, and that's unfortunately how life works.