Physical Activity and the Nervous System - HOW FIT ARE YOU?? | INFJ Forum

Physical Activity and the Nervous System - HOW FIT ARE YOU??

Solongo

Mar 18, 2009
MBTI
INFJ all day
This thread is dedicated to those who want to share their fitness and physical activity experience and how it positively improves their lifestyle. Share your achievements and frustrations regarding your daily fitness activities.

My reasons for being physically active is simply that it engages the nervous system and that alone gives me a sense of health, well being, focus, determination and consistency. If there is one thing in life that we have total control over is our bodies and health. genetics and lifestyles aside; learning to command and develop kinesthetic awareness with our bodies gives health, long life and energy. The energy systems within the physical body (the chakras) are meant to be stimulated, rotated and energized to give the fullest manifestation of the physical body. When you engage in a strenous physical activity; all your systems including your conscious and ego mind are forced to work together to achieve a desired state of activity and it helps the mind from separating from the physical body. I do not believe that living in your head all the time is healthy. Everyone is different in their results and feelings of what they get from physical exercise and the biggest factor is usually shapely body and health. Whatever the reasons maybe; engaging in physical activity is another form of self development and fostering a healthier outlook on ourselves.

This is especially true if you are an introverted type. The disengagement from the mind is needed and the best way to experience the totality of who we are is to use our physical bodies. The biggest benefit for introverts that physical activity offers is it helps the individual learn to become more present within their bodies and not escape into their mental minds (disassociation). To simply experience your physical body without judgement and to experience the state of their nervous system gives insight into one's well being in general. Sports, dance, martial arts, yoga etc all focus on the present moment; to learn to channel one's energies into physical movements help foster self awareness and health. It also presents a platform of self challenge; to see what your body and spirit is made of and to work consistently towards greater self control and expression.

Reactions: rawr
As far as how fit i am, i feel like i'm always out of shape. Or, that is to say, i'm always not at the point where i want to be - it's always a moving target.

You did mention one of the main reasons I exercise - mental & psychological benefits. It's very cathartic, a nice way to take your mind off other things, and push yourself. It's a form of acceptable intensity. I feel my best when i'm in the moment, doing something physical, without having to think too much.

As far as how fit i am, i feel like i'm always out of shape. Or, that is to say, i'm always not at the point where i want to be - it's always a moving target.

You did mention one of the main reasons I exercise - mental & psychological benefits. It's very cathartic, a nice way to take your mind off other things, and push yourself. It's a form of acceptable intensity. I feel my best when i'm in the moment, doing something physical, without having to think too much.

That's another interesting thing I notice. The idea of measuring one's fitness level is somehow an objective thing; like there is a standard and we all have to live up to it. I would say what feels healthy and physical for you will be different for others; same as how intense something feels will vary from people to people. I just thing people shouldn't focus on that and just MOVE their bodies.

yes, i should have posted on health and fitness - couldn't find it. can the tech admins move it there?

That's another interesting thing I notice. The idea of measuring one's fitness level is somehow an objective thing; like there is a standard and we all have to live up to it. I would say what feels healthy and physical for you will be different for others; same as how intense something feels will vary from people to people. I just thing people shouldn't focus on that and just MOVE their bodies.

yes, i should have posted on health and fitness - couldn't find it. can the tech admins move it there?

I'll move it.

I wrote more on my related thoughts about fitness here

I'm certainly not as active and fit as I use to be. I find with my busy schedule, fitness is a way for me (a) to relax and calm down, and (b) be social. I do yoga at school, and it's so nice to start the week off with a clear head. I typically will play soccer all year (this year I haven't though). It's been a great way to be active and have fun with my friends.

I do find that sometimes with my busy schedule I need to pick working out or resting...I don't seem to get the same mental clarity at the gym like I use too. I actually find I stress out about school and work when I'm there.

I'm just 'naturally' fit by having activity as a main component of my waking life. I don't really exercise much because I'm not exactly sedentary - though it's harder in the winter months like right now because I can't be outside shooting hoops or something because the windchill is like -30 degrees, so I feel the hit there and have to start making conscious efforts and improvise.

But in general I try to make it so that exercise is just a fact of living. I think if it's a thing you have to separately do then there's some kind of problem. There is a problem because my body is built to work and survive, not to have a bajillion conveniences nor to ride around 2,000 pound wheeled vehicles to carry around my less than 120 pound self. As much as I'm fascinated by cars, I think depending on them is detrimental - and I don't mean take a train instead, I mean walk as much as possible.

Reactions: rawr
Ever since I do work outs I feel:

1. More active.
2. More focused.
3. More confident.
4. More relaxed.
5. More AWESOME!

Fitness is awesome and gave me an iterating observation on my psoriasis. Apparently more I work out, easier it is to cure it. It is known that this disease in particular is linked to stress and the nervous system, so … yes … it helps the Nervous system.

BTW according to Stephen Illiardi, movement is in our nature and we should engage ourselves physically. Otherwise this could lead to deprivation of dopamine in the brain and then afterwards to Clinical Depression.

aww man I totally suck. I'm so averagely sub par. I am either thick or thin but never skinny no matter how many times I've tried in my life. never obese so there's that but, depending on who you talk to, 5'1" 130 is obese. :( 120-130 is my average. I do wish I was super little like when I was in jr. high. I was probably 115 or so. I do cardio and have to force my lazy bum to do strength training. I swear I'll shoot myself in the face if I ever grow full fledged old lady bat wings. *shudders in repulsion*. vanity. It's a terrible thing. especially for an introvert whose energy is bouncing off the walls in her head! ... ugh ... I suck. *hangs head in shame*. I could pin motivational quotes all day. doesn't make a difference. I just don't care to kill myself to look THAT good. my only consolation is my pretty face. :p

whenever I see threads or other people like this I fend off depression. Just thought you might like to know. :p
*not literally. just teasing. but still. I only wish I were wired better*

My mind is so busy, my body is a lazy bum. :p

Physical exercise might help bridge that gap between the busy mind and the lazy body. But it must be activity that fully engages you, challenges you and at the end of it you feel glad that you participated in the activity. It can be slow in the beginning but once you pick up momentum it does get addicting because of the adrenaline and dopamine releases.

aww man I totally suck. I'm so averagely sub par. I am either thick or thin but never skinny no matter how many times I've tried in my life. never obese so there's that but, depending on who you talk to, 5'1" 130 is obese. :( 120-130 is my average. I do wish I was super little like when I was in jr. high. I was probably 115 or so. I do cardio and have to force my lazy bum to do strength training. I swear I'll shoot myself in the face if I ever grow full fledged old lady bat wings. *shudders in repulsion*. vanity. It's a terrible thing. especially for an introvert whose energy is bouncing off the walls in her head! ... ugh ... I suck. *hangs head in shame*. I could pin motivational quotes all day. doesn't make a difference. I just don't care to kill myself to look THAT good. my only consolation is my pretty face. :p

whenever I see threads or other people like this I fend off depression. Just thought you might like to know. :p
*not literally. just teasing. but still. I only wish I were wired better*

On a side note- BMI (categorizing obese / overweight using height and weight) is not a very good indicator of health! You could be 125lbs of muscle!

A couple years ago I was a gym rat, going 4-5 times a week for 1.5-2 hours at a time....I was so body conscious then. Now that I just walk everywhere, and do non-gym activity that I find fun, I'm a lot less focused on my weight and the scale. I feel better too.

I exercise because it's easier than becoming overweight and dealing with health problems later on in life. I don't enjoy it that much (except for yoga) and wouldn't do it if I didn't have to.