Philosophy challenge. Can you read this from top to bottom? | INFJ Forum

Philosophy challenge. Can you read this from top to bottom?

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
Parallel process

What if your every thought is like a computer core mulling over a problem in concert with several others on a circuit board?

Each person might be a single core in a computer system developing over centuries the ability to think faster and more efficiently, developing new languages to run a vast program whose outcome is determined only by the very slightly different experiences of huge numbers of people. We're processing in parallel. We ask ourselves 'What is love?' and the answers are different for every single person but collectively the output is similar enough that we can begin to draw conclusions on a macro-scale, the scale where an objective observer might view the entirety of our creation instead of just the output of a single individual or group of individuals.

If this is the case then our global population increase is actually an extremely positive thing and should be encouraged so long as we are simultaneously increasing the ability of each person (each core) to process knowledge and output data. In theory there is no upper limit to the computing capacity and the program itself could be life, DNA, motion in space and time attempting to over-come barriers of causality which would allow...the DNA of the universe to survive it's death. The universe operates on a macro-scale. We are as an egg in the womb of the universe, waiting for insemination...ascension and illumination by the god-like input of our own intelligence.

There is no future to fix. This is an inevitability governed by the motion of energy in our universe. All energy moves in waves and given enough input, one shall become two. Earthlings will move onto the moon. The egg will split, become two cells, then four and this new life form will continue it's development. We will not understand it's thoughts in the same way our cells don't understand our thoughts. Still, we will process for it and collectively it will mimic life and nothing else. It will eventually split, as the cell splits, and become a second life form. They will breed up together a new species, taking input from other species.

Our energy will prevail. What we are now is an embryo, still on a single world, still in countries and with boundaries drawn but those boundaries are breaking down and the elements which are cancerous and divisive are dying out. We're killing fewer of our own people now than ever before and we should rejoice in what we've managed to accomplish whilst knowing that our works aren't done. We have a cosmos to procreate within and it is the responsibility of each person to become self aware enough to make sure the Universal Child is healthy, wise, and secular; though we would call it divine.

Last edited:
Well, why don't we make a machine that can do this instead of making more people? It'd be more efficient and we wouldn't have to worry about feeding everybody.

And what do you mean by making sure every child is "secular".

Reactions: invisible
I suppose I should add some capitalization. Secular is a word with a list of meanings but the least of them is 'Without religion'. I suppose I mean 'without dogma'.

divisive elements are dying off, in order that division might take place. in theory there might be no upper limit but in practice the developmental possibilities might not be so predictable. it doesn't sound optimistic to me, it sounds irresponsible and viral. i don't want this for humanity.

Reactions: grt$5vb and Rasmus
If you're looking for optimism then there are plenty of religions out there with very optimistic premises which murder each other every day. What human beings look like in 20 years will terrify the most conservative elements of our species today.

Okay, I can understand where you are coming from and getting at with your theory.

You should also consider that there are some species that have spent a long time evolving but eventually became extinct. I don't think it's "inevitable" that humans are going to evolve indefinitely and then expand with the universe. Just because we have succeeded in making ourselves more peaceful than we have ever been doesn't mean that it's not possible we could destroy ourselves from overpopulating or through other means.

So...kind of like Singularity basically?

Oh, certainly very possible. Humanity is by no means the inevitable outcome. There are likely to be plenty of other species spread across the universe from which this same idea can spring and grow. It must be kept in mind that our species could be wiped out in an instant by a fairly common event. Gamma ray bursts from deep space could fry everything on the planet in an instant. An asteroid, a polar inversion, our own nuclear arsenal...pretty much any one of a long list of things could cleanse this planet to the bedrock.

The Singularity is a single, limited event but yes. A singularity in quantum mechanics is a point where probability hasn't made a determination. Anything could happen. When you point a vector through a singularity it collapses into an event. If there is no vector, there is no event. Without an event there is nothing to observe. We call that Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and while it largely governs the motion of atoms, we live in a fractal universe and what scales into the sub-atomic can find surprising parallels elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sebastian
Adding to this, the whole of human history mixed with our growth as a more...'civilized' species lent our coming singularity it's vector. The singularity coming will be only the first of many developments which will either eradicate us or spread us through the stars.

Can you read this from top to bottom? No, but I tried. Difficult reading every word sometimes and staying in line.

This reminds me of the Sci-Fi novel Calculating God. I recommend it.