Personality type testing for job candidates | INFJ Forum

Personality type testing for job candidates

Should personality type testing be used to decide if job candidates should be hired?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you think personality type testing should be used by companies to decide if a job candidate should be hired? Why or why not?

Poll added

Last edited:
I don't think my type is a very accurate depiction of who I am and what I'm capable of.
I would say INFP is a best-fit.. but not a perfect fit..
I don't think it's a fair tool for appraising potential employees.

Testing for the sake of testing is usually bull. Unless the company is going to do something with the information, what is the point? Is one type "less desirable" than the other? I could see it used as a tool to understand work dynamics in some type of training or motivational/team building activity--because it is interesting and people love to learn stuff about themselves--gets the conversation started and the sharing builds connections.

To be used for hiring purposes? No.

But many companies are using it and feel it provides a good sense of the type of person and employee a job candidate would or will be. They can use it to weed out those who may not fit into their work environment. Isn't that fair reason?

If I was a human resources person, I probably would use a combination of personality and problem solving testing (e.g. the stuff consulting companies use). Why? Let's be honest with ourselves - it gives human resources an excuse when the person fails. Hey, I tested him/her, "objectively" they should have been good.

Well, it's useful. Some people are more honest filling out bubbles than they are talking to interviewers, and someone who comes across one way may not actually be that way and might be better for another job. I mean, not to conform to stereotypes, but I wouldn't want an ISTJ doing customer service (no offense to any of them). But management? Absolutely.

Well, it's useful. Some people are more honest filling out bubbles than they are talking to interviewers, and someone who comes across one way may not actually be that way and might be better for another job. I mean, not to conform to stereotypes, but I wouldn't want an ISTJ doing customer service (no offense to any of them). But management? Absolutely.

But what if that ISTJ is actually very effective and efficient in handling customer service situations and complaints, but is ruled out because of type? What if they have the most experience, best trained, and best able to provide efficient or excellent customer service? What then?

Last edited:
yes, alongside with other types of testing.
While there are other psychological tests used alone in hiring purposes, MBTI is too vague and too generalized and personalized at the same time for it to be the sole component.

There need to be more; as a supplement on one's effectiveness and qualification, it would do a good job; give a sense of one's character. Whether they will do their job well? Or will there be problems?

Of an interviewer can't tell an applicant is being dishonest in an interview, then they have no business in that position. According to me.

I agree that it shouldn't be a qualification type consideration. It might be kind of useful as a management tool though--there's a test at my current place of employment that is uncanny in its ability to describe us and has actually been quite useful when it comes to explaining change (large and small) to different members of the team based on how they're most likely to react.

No, heck no.
People are more than their type.
And the result of a temperament is only as accurate as someone's ability to be self-reflective and self-aware. Many people are not. Results may be false. Perhaps this may be relevant only for some tests, but it still seems like a potential mess could be the outcome of using such tests for hiring purposes.

Reactions: muir
I voted "yes". I think it's most useful and quite logical. I would not try to hide the fact that I'm an INFJ.

I agree that it shouldn't be a qualification type consideration. It might be kind of useful as a management tool though--there's a test at my current place of employment that is uncanny in its ability to describe us and has actually been quite useful when it comes to explaining change (large and small) to different members of the team based on how they're most likely to react.

I think this is fair. I agree that using it to hire job candidates is questionable, but an ethical and fair manager or supervisor may find it useful in knowing how to better manage or relate to employees. It may provide a better sense of strengths or areas for improvement if used properly and fairly. But it can also be used as a tool for stereotyping which is what I'd be concerned about.