Personality & Culture | INFJ Forum

Personality & Culture

Blase

Regular Poster
Feb 10, 2010
MBTI
INF J/p
Edward Hall and Geert Hostede developed "cultural dimensions" like individualism vs collectivism and masculinity vs femininity to "type" a culture. But isn't culture created from the collection of a nation's personalities? Do you think MBTI effects or at least has some correlation with these or other dimensions?

As another example: it seems like many INFJs on the forums have preferences for Japanese video games and animation over their US equivalents. Is this because Japan has more NFs than the United States? Could a type be attributed to a culture as a whole?

I would venture to guess that the collective MBTI satistical distrubution of a country will play a roll in how the culture will feel overall. That being said though, I think that most large countries have more or less the same kind of MBTI disturbution throughout it. I think culture has more or less evolved from eons of time, by the small group who started the country. It has less to do with MBTI, and more to do with who is the loudest at the time, and what out of all the new things presented, becomes the most popular the fastest.

I think all NF's in particular are drawn to anime (personally, I dislike anime). Most anime itself has this very "good versus evil" type plot to it, that NF's tend to align with for various reasons. They also have very other worldly qualities to it, which N's in general like, and NF's like to drift off into the world in their minds, creating all kinds of scenarios.

I do not think though, that it is because Japan has more NF's. I think Japan has more or less the same MBTI disturbution as the USA, like most countries. NF's like to latch onto things that are different and against the norm, and often will make this known to others. It's simply NF's being loud. It would be foolish to think though, that just because anime originated in Japan, Japan must have more NF's. Thats like saying eating burnt toast will make you die of cancer (which does actually have scientific base to it). There is likely some truth to it, and theory backing it up, but the actual weight of it effecting someone, is extrodinarly small.