Perceived weaknesses as underestimated strengths | INFJ Forum

Perceived weaknesses as underestimated strengths

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you have or notice traits in others that may be seen or treated as weaknesses, faults, or shortcomings in character or personality but are really strengths sometimes in disguise? Why do you think these traits are not always acknowledged or appreciated? How could they be strengths or advantages despite being seen as weaknesses? Please share examples from experience if you can.

I usually see what others perceive as "flaws" as 'facets". (This isn't true of harmful traits, of course.) Good qualities are facets, too. We're all multifaceted, and some of those facets will definitely be quirky.
I don't know what the standard is for judging a perfect human, but I've never understood why people complain, because what they're complaining about makes people more interesting and sometimes those quirks are part of what makes a person great.

There are, of course, traits that our society deems 'weak', that are not weak at all. Being kind, compassionate, tender, showing emotion, being peaceful, etc, are all strengths.

People go to those who are sensitive and kind when they need comfort. Showing and sharing emotions is much more healing than being 'tough'. Toughness is a good quality, too. It has its place. The key is balance.

Then there is the whole thing about daydreamers and "big imaginations", people who won't follow rules, etc. As long as people are encouraged in the right way, those types of traits can be keys for success. Someone who invents a new tool (for example) doesn't get there by doing things the way they're 'supposed' to be done. It doesn't automatically mean you're a disruptive rebel because you're not falling in line, and have trouble being in the present moment in the classroom. Even the disruptive rebel qualities can be highly entertaining and bring people joy under different circumstances. Guiding those 'weaknesses' in the right direction is more important than squashing them.

Last edited:
Do you have or notice traits in others that may be seen or treated as weaknesses, faults, or shortcomings in character or personality but are really strengths sometimes in disguise? Why do you think these traits are not always acknowledged or appreciated? How could they be strengths or advantages despite being seen as weaknesses? Please share examples from experience if you can.

I'll only be speaking for myself here, but I'm often seen as spacey and "up in the clouds" by my colleagues at work while in fact I'm focused and creative.

I'm not very practical, but I'm still organized. Often people seem to think that not being practical implies not being organized.

On top of my mind I would say ADHD and Dyslexia. Both can be difficult to handle when it comes to academia and socially. Therefore, they can harm individuals self-esteem or confidence when growing up as their feedbacks and feelings are reinforced which, can hinder their strengths to come to light.
Stereotypically:
Adhd is kind of like an explorer - they do/say things without "thinking it through" so, if you think about it.. those, might be the first ones willing to set sail and discover land ;)
Dyslexics are creative so, if someone grows up feeling inadequate of some sort then its highly likely to tamper with their creativity and in turn be less likely to create.

We constantly get feedbacks of who we are and we interpret it according to how it makes us feel at given time.

In my experience, when people or children have "negative traits" and they aren't guided to find ways to express them constructively then these traits build up? and in turn can become destructive as you unconsciously express it. I mean, it's a part of character or personality so people probably are bound to express them some way or another.

Personally, I think that these traits aren't always acknowledged or appreciated because it clashes with individuals perception of how things should be and/or self expectations. Because of that we aren't always willing to look at these weaknesses from another perspective.
The reason for why I say self expectations is that we judge what we don't understand. What we say to people or how we view them is largely based on how we personally think something should be - that image we want to fit in? or how we think that things should be? And in turn we expect other's to do it too.

I think to every negative has a positive and vice versa. Because, we all have strengths/weaknesses that don't necessarily serve us in every situation and might be deemed negative in another while deemed positive in another light. Our neg/pos plays out differently by situation even though it's applied the same way.

Or so I think.