Passion and intensity | INFJ Forum

Passion and intensity

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Passion and intensity: How do you handle it? How do you manage it to avoid it getting out of control?

What happens when you try to suppress it?

What happens when you unleash it?

i live it. my heart bleeds and whatever it tells me is what i have to do.

if i supress it? i feel bad, i feel unfulfilled. then it goes away and i live normally. that is probably the saddest part about life in general; that something you long for goes away with time, if you let it.

or maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
I usually repeat "Desire gets you nowhere" from Stars (The Cranberries). Haha:)
Beside that, I try to cool myself because I really can be foolish and intense if somebody gets me, but to be honest I hate when I feel that I like someone that much. it is both good and bad because I feel that I am split between myself and other person.
On outside it is not so visible,but inside I am all in feeling. Remember topic about Clinginess??? That's me. Only that I try not to make it obvious. So I have habbit to do nice things and after that showing attitude "Oh, not big deal, I do that for everybody..." Yea, right:)

Chuckle, and wonder if any body noticed.

I don't handle it very well. Other than just trying to ignore it, breathe deeply and regain control of my heart rate, there's not much I can do. Feeling a lot of passion or intensity has been making me a little nauseated lately too. Not really sure what is up with that, its only when I get really intense/passionate/excited mentally and have to sit still. I almost threw up during a lively debate about the role of vitamin D in differing skin pigmentation in class today. Like almost threw up while I was the one talking in front of 100 students. That would have been pretty scarring... Repeating the topic now makes me feel like such a damn nerd. I digress. I also tremble a little...

Passion is really an amazing feeling. It takes so much out of my limited supply of energy. With an Adrenal disease, I definitely have to conserve as much adrenaline as I can. Hugely depleting for me. I miss the days when I was well and could be passionate about *everything*! But its probably more balanced that I'm like this and try to control it. I get intense and passionate during conversations I'm really into and I talk faster and lean forward and I have more force behind what I'm saying. I think its weird to people that don't know me and probably becomes TOO intense. I'm still learning how to tone it down. So far the only thing that does it is truly detaching from it =/

Like @Chamomille it can be pretty draining for me although I don't think I have an adrenal disease.

When I get worked up about something it can last for months and it consumes my thoughts and I can feel energy just coursing through me relentlessly. I love/hate it.

I can barely handle it as it is, but I just tell myself to calm down a bit...
When I suppress it, I fall into states of ultra-moodiness, depression, and numbness,
I fell empty, barren, lifeless, like my soul-fire has gone out, my chest gets tight with tension,and a chill passes over my body.

When I unleash it, many things happen. I get things done. I write/sing beautiful songs/poetry, I sometimes forget that the English language exists. All I can see are vibrant colours in a swirling blur around me. At that intensity of it, I'm immune to my environment, to negativity, to reality. It can drain me though. And when this happens, I try to reduce the flame a bit, as to not burn myself too much.

Passion and intensity: How do you handle it? How do you manage it to avoid it getting out of control?
I feel passionate and intense about many things. I have a strong personality so I spend time trying to rein in my natural forcefulness as it is. I don't really see it as being disengenuous to be portray myself as "less than" but in many ways that is what I do. My thoughts are my own and I pick and choose who I share them with and how much of them I share is how I control myself. I remind myself that it isn't really important if this person or that person "gets" me and I dim my thoughts and interactions.

I don't really consider it suppressing things. I found out early that most people aren't really interested in all the gory details anyway. Conversations is typically meant to be lighthearted and not very intense or deep. I think of it more in terms of a social mask/face/persona. We all have things that make us hum and send our hearts or minds into that place where we feel alive and vibrant. My mind is constantly analyzing as it is, so many times my own natural thought process can act as a filter because I get lost inside my head a lot anyway.

All hell breaks loose?? I used to do theatre to unleash part of my inner passion. I have people who I can talk to that understand and share my passions. Like I said, when I allow myself to be as passionate and intense about something or someone, I feel more vibrant, more alive.

I'm not the one who has to worry about that.

It cannot be suppressed.

It's been known to cause women to spontanously remove clothing, and men poo their pants.

Reactions: Diana

You know, I've come to regard it as a natural state of being for me. I think this is what helps me control it, as I don't try to filter it as much as I used to. As in out of control, do you mean being socially inappropriate, or displaying it to people you don't know well?

When I suppress it, I get depressed and moody. I also cry a lot. I don't like being false, and not because of others but because it hurts me.

When I unleash it, the world works for me. For me, if I'm restraining myself, it's like the universe is ignoring me because it knows I'm supposed to be doing more; life just doesn't go right if I'm rejecting myself. But if I let the fire burn naturally (and it's more like a small fire, not a controlled-burn), then I'm relaxed and so is life.

I poor it into my work. also, maintaining heavy levels of exercise helps calm it and keep it down. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it getting out of control maybe. The exercise definitely makes it easier to focus that passion and intensity on one specific outcome though.

I get depressed, the world seems bleaker and the colors seem faded. I'm not really sure, it's not something I try to suppress often anymore. the cost just seems too high. I do remember back in school it being a difficult thing, school work is something it's awfully hard for me to really poor passion into.

Basically this;

I actually have some difficulties with this. I have a lot of interests and a lot of passions -- it's hard to channel. I'm busy very often. One of the reasons I'm inconsistent with my presence on this forum is the fact that I pull myself in too many directions all the time and can't keep up with everything. I do have many outlets, so that helps

I'm learning to work with that. I get cynical, analytical, sometimes panicky, and at worst it ends in a lonely, unpredictable sort of depression. With just a slight suppression, though, I can't still be pretty productive.

It depends where I am to begin with. If I'm in a good place, I become very creative -- I'm an art major, so that's a channel, and I can be very social, altruistic, and cheerful. If I can't do that, sometimes I will become a sort of crusader, and I'll try to teach people about issues and how they can help (sometimes I become pushy, too, and I'm not too fond of that part). If I'm upset to begin with, my passion can be destructive, but it tends to be more to myself than others. If someone pushes the wrong button, though, I might take it out on them. I really dislike that side of myself.

Well first off I suppose I should ask what kind of passion you are refering to [MENTION=1669]Res[/MENTION] . Sexual passion comes to most peoples minds first I would think. But passion can be a broad word. I also have a passion for nature, for music, for life.

Here are the definitions of the words.

Passion: strong feeling or emotion ...also: something that is desired intensely
Intensity: high level or degree; the property of being intense

So we are talking about an emotion or desire that is very strong. Something hard to rein in or supress. It could be sexual or otherwise. I guess my answer is I don't try to control that very much. That was actually my problem before. My passions and desires were too reined in and got buried and stifled. Doing so can kill your dreams. It's why I did't write for so many years. Why I didn't risk asking that girl out. Why I never took chances. I was really not being the true me! Too much control due to fear. Control can be a very good thing, but I think it can also be over-rated. If you love writing pursue it! If you want to be wild and free with your partner sexually, then find one you can do that with. There are already so many laws, rules, people, and customs that try to box in who we are and what we do. Why purposely hold back your passion and intensity? Now I don't recomend going apeshit crazy either and doing just any old thing that comes to you, but freedom of ones self through the pursuit of your passions is a life fufulling prospect.

I would describe myself as an intense person and being passionate sometimes happens to be a byproduct of this.

I lash out in anger as a defense mechanism when I am hurt. I find it hard to control the level of my voice in the moment if I am particularly upset about something.

I've found out that I'm usually BOILING with passion and intense emotion ALL THE TIME, but on the outside, I'm more silent and cool when it comes to expressing my passions or pains; if I ever do, subtlety is the operative word with me....I usually am sarcastic, or speak with monotone, but will only let on enough to let the person know that said subject is a topic of interest to me, but as far as how far invested I am, that remains undisclosed....I would only do so with someone I trust and love, and desire for friendship; I'm an INFJ to the T. I will first test the person, "shoot the proverbial shit" with them, and then through conversation (and intuition) I will usually get the information I need out of them to determine whether they are good for me or not worth my effort. The plus side to this emotional self-control is when others are loosing their minds, tearing their eyes out, I'm usually calm, and unbothered....just an in-built sense of equanimity....IMO.

I find that there are more "beneficial" ways of dealing with such levels of passion than just screaming like a gigantic freak bird....I consider my emotions more or less under my control, and passively a matter of circumstantial events....sometimes shyt just happens, and you should just keep your cool and wait/search for an opportunity to strike, <cough!!> rather "Resolve" the situation.....

Being an introvert, I hate it, HATE IT, when others witness an emotional display out of me, having so many people know what makes you tick isn't always such a good thing.....people should earn that type of privilege....not be given it for free....IMHO

Last edited:
I can't really manage to control it, when intense emotions come they pull the rug from under my feet.

When I try to suppress it, I feel I am poisoning myself.

When I unleash it, I either regret later or...no, I almost always regret it.

I keep it in a vault.

Nothing. It's in the vault.

Nothing. It's never unleashed because I keep it in the vault always.

Reactions: grt$5vb and Nixie