Partner or SO expectations | INFJ Forum

Partner or SO expectations

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, when you're dating or in a relationship with someone, what do you expect from them?

What does it mean to be "dating" or "in a relationship" with someone? What kind of things do you expect them to do for you, what kind of emotional or social support do you expect, and how much contact do you expect to have with them daily (if you're not living with them)?

I try to limit my expectations. . .but they rear their ugly head anyway. . she has been called my "own personal xanax". . which made her giggle. .
I guess I dont really expect anything. .but I need daily contact. . I need her to be "there" forme. . to listen to me and my stuff. . I will give the same to her, which is easy to do, cause I love to hear her talk. . I have wondered if she feels the same about listening to me. .
I try not to be too over the top with her. which is not may nature, but she takes it in stride. .
I guess I expect that she will be who she is with me. . all the time. . that's why I love her so. . .

Reactions: Gaze
Some expectations are fair... such as, respect, honesty and mutuality.
But I'd agree, it's a good idea to limit expectations to the basics.

I don't like the concept of dating or being with someone to make yourself feel happy or important.. I don't like the idea of leaning on someone else too much for those things..
But if someone doesn't respect you at least as much as you respect yourself, then it's a deal breaker.
And if you don't respect yourself very much, well.. figure out a way to respect yourself more otherwise it's only shitty relationships ahead!

I think it's more important to look at yourself first and apply the expectation that if you can't make it on your own--don't expect to make life work out any better with someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: melatonin and Gaze
Some expectations are fair... such as, respect, honesty and mutuality.
But I'd agree, it's a good idea to limit expectations to the basics.

I don't like the concept of dating or being with someone to make yourself feel happy or important.. I don't like the idea of leaning on someone else too much for those things..
But if someone doesn't respect you at least as much as you respect yourself, then it's a deal breaker.
And if you don't respect yourself very much, well.. figure out a way to respect yourself more otherwise it's only shitty relationships ahead!

I think it's more important to look at yourself first and apply the expectation that if you can't make it on your own--don't expect to make life work out any better with someone else.

This.

Especially Respect, Honesty, and Mutuality.

Maybe I'd add allowing for growth, can agree with flexibility. But that comes back to respect, honesty, and mutuality.

acd said it best. :)

I was hoping for specifics when it comes to relationships rather than the general expectations everyone has.

Last edited:
Faithfulness (both physical and emotional) and a good time. Everything else we figure out together. :)

My idea of an amazing relationship would be to have a sense of freedom without dragging each other down, but still have that connection as if your heart is tied to his with a rope. An implied trust and honesty that manifest themselves in actions and not words.

So, Trust would be my only expectation I guess, and it goes both ways for me and for him.

I'm not really sure if I'm the type of person who carries any expectations other than don't give me a virus. I might not even be the relationship type of person but I just don't know that yet.

Reactions: Gaze
I thought I used to know, but now I know I don't know shit. :D

Expectations change over time.