Parenthood across the world | INFJ Forum

Parenthood across the world

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
We all come from different parts of the world, and I was curious if each culture shares the same views on parenthood or raising children. What values or beliefs are similar or different? Is parenting more or less difficult depending on the part of the world or culture you live in even without considerations of economics? Is shared responsibility for raising children (e.g. it takes a village) still a belief in some cultures and does it make raising children easier? Is there a difference in goals or beliefs about what makes someone a good parent or child in your culture?

Last edited:
Great topic! I don't have much to contribute, but I was raised in the US in a traditional two parent household with a lot of my youth being spent in daycares being raised by random people or being raised by television. My parents worked hard but I still feel like I had a lot of quality time with both of them growing up. I feel very fortunate.

Oooh! I like this thread! :)

Coming from a Mexican-American household in the U.S, I suppose you can say that family is incredibly important, especially in Latin American cultures. I was grateful enough to have two parents that are very loving and compassionate. Of course, they were strict like most parents, but they implemented their strictness the right way, and have raised my brother and I the best way they could possible.

Typically, most Mexican families are very large, so I have a good amount of cousins, uncles, aunts, etc etc. I even still yet have to meet some family members that I have never met in my life before lol!

Family parties, get-togethers, etc etc are also a main highlight. My family is mostly Catholic, so they are also very religious. Although they don’t like the fact I am agnostic, they respect my choice.

But nonetheless, I suppose you could say that parenthood and family in general is an important aspect in Mexican culture, and quite cherished.

We all come from different parts of the world, and I was curious if each culture shares the same views on parenthood or raising children. What values or beliefs are similar or different? Is parenting more or less difficult depending on the part of the world or culture you live in even without considerations of economics? Is shared responsibility for raising children (e.g. it takes a village) still a belief in some cultures and does it make raising children easier? Is there a difference in goals or beliefs about what makes someone a good parent or child in your culture?

I think the family as a concept is under attack in the west because there are elements in society who want to destroy the family and replace it with the state

Karl Marx, manifesto of the communist party ch 2

''Abolition [Aufhebung] of the family! Even the most radical flare up at this infamous proposal of the Communists.

On what foundation is the present family, the bourgeois family, based? On capital, on private gain. In its completely developed form, this family exists only among the bourgeoisie. But this state of things finds its complement in the practical absence of the family among the proletarians, and in public prostitution.

The bourgeois family will vanish as a matter of course when its complement vanishes, and both will vanish with the vanishing of capital.

Do you charge us with wanting to stop the exploitation of children by their parents? To this crime we plead guilty.

But, you say, we destroy the most hallowed of relations, when we replace home education by social.

And your education! Is not that also social, and determined by the social conditions under which you educate, by the intervention direct or indirect, of society, by means of schools, &c.? The Communists have not invented the intervention of society in education; they do but seek to alter the character of that intervention, and to rescue education from the influence of the ruling class.

The bourgeois clap-trap about the family and education, about the hallowed co-relation of parents and child, becomes all the more disgusting, the more, by the action of Modern Industry, all the family ties among the proletarians are torn asunder, and their children transformed into simple articles of commerce and instruments of labour.''

I think the family as a concept is under attack in the west because there are elements in society who want to destroy the family and replace it with the state

Karl Marx, manifesto of the communist party ch 2

''Abolition [Aufhebung] of the family! Even the most radical flare up at this infamous proposal of the Communists.

On what foundation is the present family, the bourgeois family, based? On capital, on private gain. In its completely developed form, this family exists only among the bourgeoisie. But this state of things finds its complement in the practical absence of the family among the proletarians, and in public prostitution.

The bourgeois family will vanish as a matter of course when its complement vanishes, and both will vanish with the vanishing of capital.

Do you charge us with wanting to stop the exploitation of children by their parents? To this crime we plead guilty.

But, you say, we destroy the most hallowed of relations, when we replace home education by social.

And your education! Is not that also social, and determined by the social conditions under which you educate, by the intervention direct or indirect, of society, by means of schools, &c.? The Communists have not invented the intervention of society in education; they do but seek to alter the character of that intervention, and to rescue education from the influence of the ruling class.

The bourgeois clap-trap about the family and education, about the hallowed co-relation of parents and child, becomes all the more disgusting, the more, by the action of Modern Industry, all the family ties among the proletarians are torn asunder, and their children transformed into simple articles of commerce and instruments of labour.''

Umm, k.

Reactions: Wyote
Reactions: kinglear