Parental relationships and love | INFJ Forum

Parental relationships and love

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
How did your relationship with your parents or family influence your relationships or friendships growing up?

How would you describe your parent's definition of love?

Are there things your parents did in the name of love which you disagreed with? What and why?

Let me put it this way. They loved me. It didn't work.

Ok. Now I feel guilty. I can't even be cranky in peace.

My father's idea of love was bringing home the bacon and me obeying him.
My mother's idea of love was agreeing with my father.

I pretty much disagreed with all of it but I recognize the decisions were theirs to make and I'd probably get it right and get it wrong sometimes like they did. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it wrong most times which is one of the reasons I'm not interested in being a parent. The other reason is I have absolutely no interest in children. They are about as exciting to me as watching paint dry.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Hmm..well.

My relationship with my dad made me realise that I need to be stubborn in a lot of areas. There's a lot of bad in the world that I shouldn't get involved with, and that's what I've always followed. He did this too, and it rubbed off on me, luckily ^_^ So I stay away from the wrong sort of "friends". Relationship wise, he taught me to be loving and sweet :)

My relationship with my mum has always reminded me that I need to be caring and kind to everyone I love. This is also what I've always done too. Mum has also taught me to be strong and brave through every bad thing that's happened ^_^
With both of them.... they used to argue a fair bit. Which put me off arguments for life... I hate arguments... *twitch*

My parents loved was balanced. Very balanced in fact o_O. Although I wish my dad would've stuck up for himself in one area; My mum always used to talk about how she found several actors "attractive" and I could always see the jealousy in dad's eyes.... I wish he spoke out when she said that, but he never did xD bless him....

The only thing I can think of, off the top of my head, that I disagreed with in the name of their love was the fact they argued over the most pety things. I hate arguments in general, but sometimes the things they argued about were just ridiculous >:
I always think arguments are pointless. A discussion is all that's needed about things.... they never attempted to calm down once they got started... blargh xP

Reactions: Gaze