Organ Donation | INFJ Forum

Organ Donation

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
I wanted to get some differing opinions on this issue. What do you think of organ donation? Are you a registered organ donor, and if not, why not? What do you consider to be the ethical implications of using a (brain)dead person's organs in another person?

Here is what I understand/believe about the issue:

1. Organ donation saves lives that would otherwise be lost.
2. There are typically far more people awaiting an organ tranplant than there are organ donors, resulting in a persistent demand.
3. Organ donation uses specific tests (won't go into detail) to determine whether a person is really dead before they will excise their organs. These tests are subject to human error and are vulnerable to manipulation.
4. Animals organs are a potential alternative source, as are "lab grown" organs.

With regards to #3 I believe most doctors are ethical and would not deliberately "misconstrue" a person's vital stats for the sake of using their organs, but the fact that it can and has happened is cause for concern.

#4 I believe eventually organ transplants will be a thing of the past and people will have replacement organs grown in a lab directly from their own DNA, but given the complexity of growing even skin cells at the moment (for skin grafts) I'd guess whole organ transplants are still a long way off.
Animal morphology is similar enough to humans' that transplants can be done.

So what do you think? personally I'm okay it, including the ethical aspect of it. I beleive that once a person is dead, their soul has departed from their body and what is left is no longer "their's" if that makes any sense. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a dead person's organs to save another person's life, especially considering those organs are just going to decompose otherwise. The uncertainty for me comes in when I consider precisely how the procedure takes place, what kind of protocols are in place to ensure the donor's body is given due respect -that they're really dead and in no pain- and that the procedure occurs in a safe and timely manner.

There are other factors that go into this issue that I haven't touched upon, such as that organ transplantation is illegal in several countries, and in those that it is allowed, donors/families aren't compensated financially for their service. This combined with the fact that organ transplants are in high demand has created a flourishing black market. Feel free to talk about these factors if you so wish.

I'm a registered organ donor, and I agree with the general statement that once I'm dead I won't need my body anymore so other people can have it. I also think organ donation will be rendered obsolete by technology/medical advances sooner or later -- probably sooner than you might think!

ahem -- yeah, just make sure the person is really dead and is giving their organs voluntarily, and I'm a-ok with it. The whole black market thing is totally creepy and unethical.

P.S. I had no idea it was illegal in several countries.
Oh, and there are people who have pig valves in their hearts right now... so animals are "donating" organs currently. Though again, that sort of thing is going to be obsolete sooner or later.

Thinking about it further...I'd hate for some sort of abusive chimp-organ farming situation or something similar to arise, but to my knowledge, that sort of thing doesn't happen.

Last edited:
1. Organ donation saves lives that would otherwise be lost.
Money saves lives

2. There are typically far more people awaiting an organ tranplant than there are organ donors, resulting in a persistent demand.
Money will put you first in line. Also, what if Hitler needed a kidney, do you think you're helping the world donating organs then?

I'll be dead -- I won't care. And so's Hitler.

That's the doctors' problem to figure out who they give organs to.

I thought it was the ethicists'? or whoever sits on the organ decision committees, but I am not sure. Do you know that it is in fact doctors, or -- pardon me for being blunt, I'm not sure how else to say it and it isn't intended to be rude -- is that an assumption based on how we tend to glorify physician power as a fallback to days when we lacked a diversity of healthcare professions and the doctor was indeed the sole go-to authority figure?

IIRC, there is another thread on this topic that might yield some answers, as well.

I believe in organ donation.

I'm a registered organ donor. I like the thought that a part of me can save someone's life even after I'm gone.

Hm, I'm not sure, really, I think what they do is perform some sort of medical evaluation based on need, and likelihood of transplant success? Something like that? Not sure whose final decision it really is, but doctors are involved, because doctors are the ones who have the expertise to perform the surgeries involved. (And no offense whatsoever. :) )
But it's not like the dead person is going to have much say in the matter, right?

(This is based on assumptions, never having been intimately involved in organ transplants...)

P.S. To me, it is almost exactly like giving away my old clothes or things I don't need anymore. For all I know, some "evil" criminal type is running around in my old jeans, but it's not like I have any control over the matter, I gave that up when I donated my jeans to goodwill. Or something like that.

I have a little card in my wallet stating that I am an organ donor. I should look into officially registering.

I'll be dead -- I won't care.
Why do you care now?

It's like saying: "In my will, I want all my money to go to charity."
But if someone told you the charity was for kids who couldn't afford golden hairbrushes for their ponies, all of a sudden you don't care because you'd be dead.
Why the fuck did you put it in your will in the first place?

And so's Hitler.
I think you're missing the point

That's the doctors' problem to figure out who they give organs to.
No, it isn't

If it is not the doctors, then who is it who decides? Lawyers or politicians? All I know is I will have no control over it whatsoever because again, I'll be dead. I will not be able to take my organs or any of my other things with me and the lack of control doesn't bother me.

[MENTION=5511]o_q[/MENTION] are you saying that you reckon no one should donate organs ever just so that potential assholes aren't able to receive organs and live longer?

[MENTION=5511]o_q[/MENTION] are you saying that you reckon no one should donate organs ever just so that potential assholes aren't able to receive organs and live longer?

You can do whatever you want, but I'm not donating. I am saying that it is foolish to think that donating organs is a good thing. Sure it is good for one person, but in the grand scheme of humanity, it means nothing.

You can do whatever you want, but I'm not donating. I am saying that it is foolish to think that donating organs is a good thing. Sure it is good for one person, but in the grand scheme of humanity, it means nothing.

I don't know, I think it's a very personal thing. Seeing as people have to make the decision for themselves, I don't see the problem. If my daughter ever needed a transplant of some kind, I sure as hell would want he to be able to receive one and live longer.

I do see your point, though.

I don't know, I think it's a very personal thing. Seeing as people have to make the decision for themselves, I don't see the problem. If my daughter ever needed a transplant of some kind, I sure as hell would want he to be able to receive one and live longer.

I do see your point, though.

Saving someone you know is a very different story.

The way I see it, I've got two choices:
1. die and let my organs decompose, so nobody gets them for scientific research or medical purposes, and they can be safe from misuse (whatever misuse that might be...)
2. Donate them and give up all control over them, in the hopes it might help someone on a personal, scientific or medical level, even if the people using them might not be people I like.

I choose 2 because I like it better. :D

Saving someone you know is a very different story.

Yes and no. Maybe it's because I'm a feeler and I have too much of that empathy BS going on, but when I think or organ donation it's the usual story of suddenly everyone becoming someone's mother or daughter or brother or whatever.

I see little reason not to donate, though I'm not going to hold it against anyone if they go the other way...​unless there reasons are stupid