Optimism, Cynicism, and Cognitive Functions | INFJ Forum

Optimism, Cynicism, and Cognitive Functions

Discussion in 'The INFJ Typology' started by Trifoilum, Jul 12, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Trifoilum
  1. Trifoilum

Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Are they related? How are you faring with being pessimist and cynic? And how about optimism?

I suspect they are because after some personal looking, I realized that it's so very easy for me to be a cynic. To point out everything that's wrong, to see everything's ugly side. Ni's looking at something at a glance and without any mercy Ti starts ripping them off into heaps of negativity and what could go wrong. I call it being a doomsayer.

Now in comparison, my INTJ friend can also be a doomsayer (..literally, I think), but I noticed that she's always being that whenever she's stressed. Whenever she's disappointed with the world. (I considered it Te >> flipping into Ti) Whereas for me, seeing things in a negative light is as easy as second breathing. I don't need to be stressed or disappointed to do that.

In opposition, being an optimist can be hard for me. This one, I have to be in a good mood to recognize all the good sides. It's easy to be blindfully optimist, but not reasonably optimistic. I'm beginning to suspect Fe were having a part in this instead of Ti, or maybe Fi instead.

What's your opinion on this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Absolutely.

NF's are called idealists after all, NT's are called rationalists.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wyote

Wyote (#/-\[]$ ([]`/[]'|'[-
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    954 so/sx
    Doooooomed! We're all doomed!

*sings the doom song from InvaderZIM*

IndigoSensor likes this.
  4. gloomy-optimist

gloomy-optimist Used to live here

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    Yeah, I believe it's true too, since I tend to be much higher on my T-functions when I'm being cynical

5. Jonathan

Jonathan Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ (IEI)
    Enneagram:
    4w5 so/sx
    I'd consider myself to be more optimistic than pessimistic. My Ti and Te are not very developed, though. Interestingly, I think I chose to not really develop my thinking functions because it always eemed to me that logical thinking was a gateway to allowing negative thought. It's not that I want to be blind to rationality, it's that I want to look past it and find a way to make things better. Therefore, the mind of an idealist vs. a rationalist.

6. gloomy-optimist

gloomy-optimist Used to live here

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    Well, I don't think necessarily that the use of T-functions makes a person cynical. From my experience, I become cynical first, and then my Ti tops out because I reject, in some part, my Fe.

7. OP
    Trifoilum

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    So it's working both ways?

8. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Steering By The Stars

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    I think I agree that too much Ti can be a bad thing at times. I also think that it

sassafras likes this.
  9. OP
    Trifoilum

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5

10. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    I score rather high on my thinking functions and I consider myself a moderate optimist.

I've learned on my own skin that no perspective is more useless than pessimism. After all, if you have to choose a lens, don't choose the one that magnifies all the obstacles and focuses on all the reasons why you can't overcome them. Choose a viewpoint that will empower you, not cripple you.

11. bamf

bamf Is Watching You
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Meh
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    My optimism outshines my pessimism. When I sink into a cynical slump, it's usually highly emotional, and disappears after I get a chance to organize my thoughts. It takes a lot to get me down about "stuff/life/the world" and keep me down.