Optimism, Cynicism, and Cognitive Functions

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Are they related? How are you faring with being pessimist and cynic? And how about optimism?

I suspect they are because after some personal looking, I realized that it's so very easy for me to be a cynic. To point out everything that's wrong, to see everything's ugly side. Ni's looking at something at a glance and without any mercy Ti starts ripping them off into heaps of negativity and what could go wrong. I call it being a doomsayer.

Now in comparison, my INTJ friend can also be a doomsayer (..literally, I think), but I noticed that she's always being that whenever she's stressed. Whenever she's disappointed with the world. (I considered it Te >> flipping into Ti) Whereas for me, seeing things in a negative light is as easy as second breathing. I don't need to be stressed or disappointed to do that.

In opposition, being an optimist can be hard for me. This one, I have to be in a good mood to recognize all the good sides. It's easy to be blindfully optimist, but not reasonably optimistic. I'm beginning to suspect Fe were having a part in this instead of Ti, or maybe Fi instead.

What's your opinion on this?

Absolutely.

NF's are called idealists after all, NT's are called rationalists.

Doooooomed! We're all doomed!

*sings the doom song from InvaderZIM*

Reactions: IndigoSensor
Yeah, I believe it's true too, since I tend to be much higher on my T-functions when I'm being cynical

I'd consider myself to be more optimistic than pessimistic. My Ti and Te are not very developed, though. Interestingly, I think I chose to not really develop my thinking functions because it always eemed to me that logical thinking was a gateway to allowing negative thought. It's not that I want to be blind to rationality, it's that I want to look past it and find a way to make things better. Therefore, the mind of an idealist vs. a rationalist.

Well, I don't think necessarily that the use of T-functions makes a person cynical. From my experience, I become cynical first, and then my Ti tops out because I reject, in some part, my Fe.

I think I agree that too much Ti can be a bad thing at times. I also think that it

Reactions: sassafras
I score rather high on my thinking functions and I consider myself a moderate optimist.

I've learned on my own skin that no perspective is more useless than pessimism. After all, if you have to choose a lens, don't choose the one that magnifies all the obstacles and focuses on all the reasons why you can't overcome them. Choose a viewpoint that will empower you, not cripple you.

My optimism outshines my pessimism. When I sink into a cynical slump, it's usually highly emotional, and disappears after I get a chance to organize my thoughts. It takes a lot to get me down about "stuff/life/the world" and keep me down.