Of "Woodstock" and "Wall Street"

Lurk

[ what ]
Jan 13, 2017
MBTI
INTP
Enneagram
6,9 & 4
What historical era actually suits you? Feel free to pick whatever, whenever.

Me: The 1920's and 1960's/1970's. Progress! Buck convention! Fight back! Be subversive!

^ VP Pence would not approve

1920's Berlin -- read The Berlin Stories, by Christopher Isherwood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920s_Berlin

Main article: Weimar culture
The Weimar Republic era began in the midst of several major movements in the fine arts. German Expressionism had begun before World War I and continued to have a strong influence throughout the 1920s, although artists were increasingly likely to position themselves in opposition to expressionist tendencies as the decade went on.

A sophisticated, innovative culture developed in and around Berlin, including highly developed architecture and design (Bauhaus, 1919–33), a variety of literature (Döblin, Berlin Alexanderplatz, 1929), film (Lang, Metropolis, 1927, Dietrich, Der blaue Engel, 1930), painting (Grosz), and music (Brecht and Weill, The Threepenny Opera, 1928), criticism (Benjamin), philosophy/psychology (Jung), and fashion. This culture was often considered to be decadent and socially disruptive by rightists.[2]

Film was making huge technical and artistic strides during this period of time in Berlin, and gave rise to the influential movement called German Expressionism. "Talkies", the Sound films, were also becoming more popular with the general public across Europe, and Berlin was producing very many of them.

The so-called mystical arts also experienced a revival during this time-period in Berlin, with astrology, the occult, and esoteric religions and off-beat religious practices becoming more mainstream and acceptable to the masses as they entered popular culture.

Berlin in the 1920s also proved to be a haven for English writers such as W. H. Auden, Stephen Spender and Christopher Isherwood, who wrote a series of 'Berlin novels', inspiring the play I Am a Camera, which was later adapted into a musical, Cabaret, and an Academy Award winning film of the same name. Spender's semi-autobiographical novel The Temple evokes the attitude and atmosphere of the time

Not feelin' this. ^

The only era I didn't live through that I would go back to visit (not stay in) is the 20s.
I wouldn't be able to deal with socio-political inequalities in most other eras. Yes, it would be cool to see some civilizations at their peaks, but a short visit would be best.

The 80s were great fun. There are a lot of things I miss about the 80s.

I would go back to any era that would put me in a cave in the middle of a densely wooded mountain, by myself. Ahh peace...

Reactions: acd and the
One with fewer distractions and a bit more of a push to get out, but then again I could have had that, hah.

I think in the end I'd pick 1930s Europe, 1980s America, or slightly before the time of Mohammed. But you could sell me on the late 1800s or so, right around when imperialism was starting to take its most recent shape.