Of a creator, light and dark, both or neither. | INFJ Forum

Of a creator, light and dark, both or neither.

What do you most closely align with?

• I am religiously affiliated and believe completely in the associated doctrine

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I believe mostly in the religion I align with.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am spiritual but do not align with a specific belief

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I believe something intentionally created everything we observe but have no idea what it may be

• I believe we conscious beings are one of the most incredible accidents to have happened

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
It's that time again. I have gone to the interior reaches of my mind and allowed myself to contemplate the possibility of something having deliberately created life as we know it.

Out of time for now...
I have worded the poll in a very specific manner deliberately.
As such I am having a hard time answering it. :)

Reactions: Free
As humans we can only assert what intention means to other humans. Even among humans are the lines between intentional and accidental blurred. How can we know the intention of an atom or a god?

Seeing things from many perspectives, I realize that all of them are valid. There is no root to a subjective reality. In other words, your perspective isn't objectively greater than another's.

As humans we can only assert what intention means to other humans. Even among humans are the lines between intentional and accidental blurred. How can we know the intention of an atom or a god?

Seeing things from many perspectives, I realize that all of them are valid. There is no root to a subjective reality. In other words, your perspective isn't objectively greater than another's.
It may not be but in the same thought how can you know mine is not the most accurate?

It may not be but in the same thought how can you know a person's belief is not the most accurate?

Accuracy is more specific than valid.
You chose accuracy as meaningful measurement.
As an example, useful is yet another means to measure validity.

To answer your question, accuracy can be measured, though not necessarily very well depending on how quantifiable it is.

Accuracy is more specific than valid.
You chose accuracy as meaningful measurement.
As an example, useful is yet another means to measure validity.

To answer your question, accuracy can be measured, though not necessarily very well depending on how quantifiable it is.
We observe a limited spectrum and cannot know what we are not observing without at least partially observing that it's something that can be observed.

If humans do not have access to objective truth, how is it we are still alive today? Humanity is forever confronted with epoch ending disasters; disease, famine, overpopulation, food and water shortage. Yet we are still alive. If we do not have access to objective truth, then we cannot solve problems -- for to solve problems, we must have command over truth. And if we cannot solve problems, then we cannot survive. So, how is it we can solve problems if we do not have access to truth??

Each individual is confronted with life ending threats every day. We must understand truths about weather so that we never freeze to death. We must know how to gain access to food so that we do not starve. We must be able to recognize dangerous animals so that we won't get eaten or poised. We must be able to understand viruses so we can create medicines. If all our knowledge is false, how is it we somehow manage to avoid all these life ending threats? Subjective truth cannot not solve this problem because truth is never subjective. You could say 'its all useful fictions', but this just raises another question; how can fictions ever be useful?

Last edited:
If humans do not have access to objective truth, how is it we are still alive today?
You think we need knowledge to be objective in order for it to be useful. I assert that we don't. We make decisions based on knowledge more or less reliable despite how objective we think it is.

There isn't objective truth. There is simply good enough.

Reactions: Wyote and Free
You think we need knowledge to be objective in order for it to be useful. I assert that we don't. We make decisions based on knowledge more or less reliable despite how objective we think it is.

There isn't objective truth. There is simply good enough.

How do we solve problems with false knowledge though? If our knowledge is not true, then it is false.

I worded this partly to force an answer between two competing theories that take up valuable processor time. What do I believe more In? Complete accident or crafted result?

While the universe is incomprehensible in size to us give our own size, we ourselves are talking about creating universes within the LHC. Though only lasting for fractions of a second, it's possible entire civilizations will live and die in them. Our own may be something of a parallel.

The emergence of life may take place for the same reason fractals take place in all that we see.

I have deliberately answered "in a very specific manner." :tonguewink:
Since you commented on This, care to comment on which answer you chose?

This is an amazing spread.

I am spiritual but do not align with a specific belief

From your offered choices the above comes close for me personally. The wording you have chosen EH seems to for your train of thought, however, I see some responders struggling with the part 'but do not align with a specific belief' .

The majority of spiritual folk I know do align with a 'specific belief'. It is their faith in what they have chosen to believe. Some do think humans a Devine accident, others see humans as Devine, others yet take bits and pieces of the ideas & ideals of Divinity which promote Spirituality and build their beliefs from there.

After taking into account you present as very intelligent, analytical and strive to root out the facts in a conversation I have to ask...
What do I believe more In?
What is Your answer to this question? I am genuinely curious.

Please remember that as an INFJ, I think more abstractly than linear ;) So in my reading to comprehend this:
The emergence of life may take place for the same reason fractals take place in all that we see.
'A fractal is a never-ending pattern. Fractals are infinitely complex patterns that are self-similar across different scales. They are created by repeating a simple process over and over in an ongoing feedback loop. Driven by recursion, fractals are images of dynamic systems – the pictures of Chaos.'

~~does this mean we all can hold our own belief of who we are and how we got here?