InvisibleJim

Banned
Dec 13, 2010
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
FYI:

Going global. Quite a few riots in Italy and Spain and some police vs protestors in London.

CNN
BBC

Oh Italy and Spain.

People are pissed, I get that. But this isn't going to fix anything.

The article says that the police blame anarchists for starting a riot... who compose a small number out of all the people who are protesting...

Smashing bank windows isn't going to change the world..

The Black Bloc always use their shock and awe tactics. Its all they know. Definitely not going to help with the protests, but it does show that some of the people will do what they think they have to.

I'm in favor of people to use whatever means necessary to finally get people's f***ing attention! I'm tired of the pussyfooting political BS society thinks is "civilized" when it comes to protests.

I'm in favor of people to use whatever means necessary to finally get people's f***ing attention! I'm tired of the pussyfooting political BS society thinks is "civilized" when it comes to protests.

They got their attention two weeks ago. They've yet to do anything with it.

Reactions: Feelings
I hopeful for something good (more good really) to come out of the recent occupations.

They got their attention two weeks ago. They've yet to do anything with it.
Really? Because I have talked to dozens of people who still have no idea what is going on.. It has just recently began to get media coverage..
What are you expecting to happen? A consensus needs to be reached.. You can't legitimately claim to be the 99% without the majority involved..Things are just warming up.
Today was the day that cities around the world all protested together..
It's not just a protest though, it really is the beginning of a movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
Really? Because I have talked to dozens of people who still have no idea what is going on.. It has just recently began to get media coverage..
What are you expecting to happen? A consensus needs to be maintained.. Things are just warming up.
Today was the day that cities around the world all protested together..
It's not just a protest though, it really is the beginning of a movement.

Regardless, I don't get the impression that they have specific goals in mind for when they are given opportunities to make a difference. Because the protest's missions statement is deliberately unspecific, any opportunity to effect real change will degrade into an internal argument.

Reactions: Feelings
Regardless, I don't get the impression that they have specific goals in mind for when they are given opportunities to make a difference. Because the protest's missions statement is deliberately unspecific, any opportunity to effect real change will degrade into an internal argument.
I saw a really great picture of a sign at one of the protests. It said, "We're not disorganized, America just has too many issues."
I think that's true.. The reason there is no defined agenda is because there are many many problems. I hope that as more and more people realize their discontent and wake up to their right to assemble, a consensus will be reached regarding root of all of those other symptomatic problems.

I think a good starting point would be to eliminate corporate tax breaks and loopholes, and to eliminate lobbying.. and career politicians. At the core, the issue really is that the majority of people go unheard in America because we have a plutocracy. That is really the issue that needs to be addressed. The government pumping out more jobs isn't going to change anything because inherently, the system is corrupted.
I am also hoping for a list of concrete and realistic demands to be generated. I believe that it will be, but that it is going to take a little time.

How much propaganda are we bombarded with daily that America (or whatever first world country you are in) is great, land of the free and land of opportunity.. More people are beginning to question these things because their life experiences are proving otherwise. It takes a bit of time to reconcile the cognitive dissonance and do something about it.

Reactions: burnt by the sun

The specific goal is to get corporate money out of politics, get rid of corporate personhood, and get rid of corporate greed. I dont know how you cant understand that if you have been following along.

Also I feel that I have to mention a Livable Wage, which is related to the above demands.

Last edited:
Reactions: acd
The specific goal is to get corporate money out of politics, get rid of corporate personhood, and get rid of corporate greed. I dont know how you cant understand that if you have been following along.

Oh, ok. I haven't been following along.

I'm not aiming this at you Hoggle but...

I've heard of this a lot lately and it carries such a negative connotation yet I have not heard one reason (either legitimate or illegitimate) as to why it is bad. I watched that documentary The Corporation on netflix and it opened with "corporate personhood is bad" but they didn't specifically state as to why that would be. It just went into how they do things that harm the environment and how large ones don't care about individual employees.

What exactly does personhood let a company do that is so bad?

When I first heard of this, I thought it was something new that happened during the Regan or Nixon administration, not something that happened in the late 19th century.

I'm glad this is going global. I spent the last week helping out Occupy Atlanta, and was eagerly waiting for Saturday to roll around.

Here's hoping we get change as a result of all of our efforts.

Occupy Everywhere!

Reactions: acd and the
I saw two statements that sum it all up:

The government is failing to represent us
Corporate America/Capitalism is failing to benefit us

That seems to be the unifying theme, from what I've read. There are still other issues being fought for, numerous and diverse, but I think everyone involved in the movement can agree on this one, as most of the common folks' problems seem to be stemming from it.

Has anyone participated in this? I know it started in my city about two weeks ago, but I don't usually like going to protests unless I fully understand the situation.

LoL. So violence is OK, as long as the people are doing it for a cause that YOU approve of.

Reactions: Sriracha
Exactly. This Occupy "movement" is a load of horse shit that people were manipulated into participating in. It just plays on people's emotions, and guess what, manipulation works because ppl are stupid.

I saw a really great picture of a sign at one of the protests. It said, "We're not disorganized, America just has too many issues."
I think that's true.. The reason there is no defined agenda is because there are many many problems. I hope that as more and more people realize their discontent and wake up to their right to assemble, a consensus will be reached regarding root of all of those other symptomatic problems.
Well that's just a load of horse shit designed to manipulate people and garner support. So if ANYONE is pissed off about pretty much anything, they'll join in. And you know what? Most people have financial problems. Well let's just blame someone else for it to make ourselves feel better. It's like saying "we are protesting any and all problems in the whole entire world". Ooooooook.... there is no platform. It's so generic that anyone can find a reason to join in, and nothing can really "satisfy" the "movement".

I think a good starting point would be to eliminate corporate tax breaks
Do you understand that how much taxes gets passed on to customers and how much gets absorbed by a corporation is based on the price elasticity of demand? And what are the effects of taxing corporations more? What does that imply for shareholders, employees, and customers? How will the corporation respond? Most people that make tax policy judgements don't analyze the business and economic effects, and probably don't even have to know-how to. It's really easy to vilify a "faceless" corporation without having a well thought out basis to.

and loopholes, and to eliminate lobbying..
Agreed.

and career politicians.
I don't understand this.

At the core, the issue really is that the majority of people go unheard in America because we have a plutocracy.
I don't understand this.

This Occupy "movement" seems to have a classic modus operandi that can be seen pretty much whenever there is widespread dissatisfaction. The message is "it's not your fault. You're a victim. We, the people, should rise up and fight XYZ villain". And people eat it up because it makes them feel better.

The specific goal is to get corporate money out of politics,
Absolutely.

get rid of corporate personhood,
Uh... and the proposed alternative form of doing business would be.....?

and get rid of corporate greed.
Uh... how does one make all of humanity unselfish and ungreedy?

Also I feel that I have to mention a Livable Wage, which is related to the above demands.
What is this?