Obama's type | INFJ Forum

Obama's type

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Obama's type.

I've heard ENFJ quite a bit. I see that as a very good possibility.

ENFJ Type description

Extraverted feeling types seek continuity through harmonious relationships and collective values. They excel at picking up on the tone of a situation and acting accordingly, adding warmth to a cool setting or turning sour into sweet. They naturally seek to know what people do well, what they enjoy, and where and how they work. They seem to have an infinite number of acquaintances from all walks of life and are always on the lookout for people in need and those who can help out. ENFJs weave and strengthen the collective fabric of social conventions and interactions. Inclusiveness is important and they are particularly sensitive to those who are excluded.

ENFJs focus on others, feeling a glow when those around them are happy, and troubled when something is amiss. They are natural cheerleaders, often expressing support, gratitude, and encouragement, and heaping praise onto those they appreciate. They take note of what is being done and what needs doing, offering their assistance wherever necessary.

ENFJs enjoy organizing group activities and tend to take their commitments seriously. In general, they are reliable and do not like to disappoint others. As team players and project leaders, they have a gift for rallying their players, focusing on what is being done right and each member's strengths. They are loyal and they expect loyalty. They carry conversations well, finding common ground with their speaker. They tend to find the correct and gracious way to respond in any given situation, no matter how tense or uncomfortable it is.

Types with dominant extraverted feeling may uphold a wide range of values, simply because shared values are what create harmony. Some will profess the importance of tough-minded logic, justice and scholarly debate because their environments have these shared values. They tend to adopt the collective values of those in their social group.

I have heard several types thrown around. Some say he is an ENTP that learned to relate. Other say and INTJ along the same lines. I have also heard ENFP quite often and ENFJ. I happen to believe he's an ENFJ.

im guessing ENFJ. definitely a lot of Fe

ENFJ seems to make the most sense. However at times I have suspected he might be ENTJ due to the fact that his emotional expressions aren't super pronounced and at times can seem scripted and or restricted/held back. ENFJ fits better.

Hmm.. ENFJ seems to be the general consensus thus far

I've always gotten the impression he has a lot of Fi, and he uses Fe but he's Fi... I wish I could explain this better to make more sense. What do you think?
I'll have to watch some more clips of him.

Last edited:
I used to think he was ENTP, due to some outward appearances, but I'm leaning more towards the "F" side because he cares too much about what folks think (and that's the problem. :( ) I loves me some Obama, but my thought is he's probably trying to help too many and keep too many people happy by not tooting his horn and showing what he *has* done.

I'm going with ENFJ.

I like ENFJs.

I am pretty sure he's an Idealist (NF). He has all these great visions and hopes for the country, and since NFs are such a minority, most people just don't get it.
I vote ENFP.
I've seen theories that he's even an introvert. He seems like an extrovert to me. But, as we know, many introverts can appear to be extroverts. But, ENFP are a little more like introverts than most extroverts.

While I'll admit that in many speeches he seems to try to use an ENFJ persona, I am still convinced that he is a relatively well balanced ENTP. The way he gets off topic when he lacks his teleprompter is very Ne, and his self described greatest fault of horrible organizational skills is aspirational Si. When actually discussing policy he is quite Ti, but frequently likes to resort to his tertiary Fe.

As a child he was very much a class clown, which is classic for an ENTP. I don't think he is as extroverted as many ENTPs, and have at times considered the possibility than he is less reserved an INTP, but ENTP still seems to fit best.

Caring so much what people thinks is actually a reason to choose ENTP over ENFP. An ENFP would rely on introverted feeling, focusing on his own convictions and desires rather than what others think of him. Obama's feeling function is clearly extroverted feeling. He is clearly deficient in Fi, which explains why pundits often criticized him for showing a lack of passion or anger over things yet he clearly reacts when he feels personally betrayed by a friend. His Fe does not usually seem quite as immature as many ENTP's tertiary, but most certainly can at times. He has faced enough challenges in life to develop a modicum of maturity in his third function, but as conservative pundits often point out he still very much has some of that (Compensatory) Narcissism that practically defines the ENTP.

The rivalry between Obama and Clinton seems to fit rather well when one considers that she is his Shadow. While I personally would have guessed ENTJ for her, she is one candidate that has taken the test and publically released the information that she scored as an INTJ.

Last edited: