Obama:The Greatest US President in Living Memory | INFJ Forum

Obama:The Greatest US President in Living Memory

brightmoon

Community Member
Oct 2, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Obama is definitely the greatest US President in living memory, his approval rating are unprecedented for an outgoing president for very good reasons. He presided over one of the most dramatic economic recoveries in US History. Reformed healthcare and brought affordable health for millions of Americans. Even if this is "repealed" the Republicans will not be able to go back to their so called solution to US healthcare known as "I don't care". The amount of uninsured Americans has dropped below 10% for the first time ever and there no turning back the clock on this issue now. On foreign policy he engaged with Iran and Cuba which were both the correct paths of action. He effectively ended direct US in the Iraq War and has all but defeated Daesh. Social change is now not reversible with rights for same sex couples. America has also exhibited global leader on climate change.

The next administration may try to undo some of these achievements but my prediction is the American public will not allow many of these things to be overturned.

I think maybe he started us on the path to universal or single payer healthcare. Before Obama, it was a pipe dream, but more and more people are talking about it. Maybe the plan was a market based system that fails, forcing the US to go single payer. I'm personally not a fan of mandating Americans purchase insurance. I think if you want everyone insured, then it makes sense to go single payer. I agree that he has made healthcare an issue Republicans must face, especially since they promised to repeal ACA, but keep all the popular parts. I don't know how they will do away with the individual mandate while keeping preexisting conditions and young adults up to age 26 covered by parents. I suspect they cannot do these things. Regardless, if they repeal the ACA and millions lose coverage, it will be political suicide which will usher in Democrats again who will probably work toward single payer. That's my hope.

Reactions: James, the and Stu
My insurance premiums doubled this year and lost some coverage, with higher deductibles. Maybe we made a little more money than the prior year... I get help, and I am thankful for it. However, It is unfair to have to change insurance every year because of high rate increases. Told me my doctor is not in network. Had him decades and not changing. Must pay out of pocket to see him, and that does not go toward my high deductible. The Affordable Care Act's network does not include even close to the amount of caregivers Medicaid provides, but nobody ever made a law to limit the out-of-pocket expenses for those on Medicare: which includes nearly all those over 65. A person can lose their home, life savings, and be cast out. If Trump can make the out of pocket limits to include those on Medicare, he will have done more for Americans than anyone ever tried to do. What about the elderly?

What about children? Under the ACA, children are less likely to have insurance than adults. If Trump fixes this, it would be another win.

Give me an insurance program that has maybe a 6% to 10% increase annually that does not have to keep being lowered. The older we get, the more likely we are to need our insurance. When the premiums skyrocket, it forces people to change. It was great the first year, but I'm afraid nothing was implemented to keep things in line. Most people without healthcare insurance are illegally in the USA, members of working families that cannot afford it, would rather pay the fine, don't even know about it, didn't think it applied to them, etc. If your job does not offer insurance, you are less likely to have it.

Some states expanded Medicaid under the ACA. Medicaid has a much larger network, but there are too many loopholes...so the professionals say. PLACE A LIMIT ON OUT-OF-POCKET MEDICAL COSTS FOR EVERYONE. Cost too much? Stop robbing the elderly! THAT would be a great change.

A lot of professionals in the medical field do not like signing on with new insurance that mandates they get less and less every year. It is almost like trying to control what doctors can charge. Don't try to do that with my insurance. There are many things need changing. Don't try to get them to accept this, then offer them less each year through the insurance-government. Don't do these things behind the smokescreen of insurance.

I'm no expert, but I have seen insurance premiums increase much higher than most are willing to admit. Mine did, so I had to change to a much lesser insurance again(third year, three times) with higher deductibles and smaller networks. I say fix it for everyone. Have the government use it so they can give their input into it.

Now, back to work.

Most people without healthcare insurance are illegally in the USA,

Who remains uninsured?
Most uninsured people are in low-income families and have at least one worker in the family. Reflecting the more limited availability of public coverage in some states, adults are more likely to be uninsured than children. People of color are at higher risk of being uninsured than non-Hispanic Whites.
As of the end of 2015, the number of uninsured nonelderly Americans stood at 28.5 million
http://kff.org/uninsured/fact-sheet/key-facts-about-the-uninsured-population/
The total undocumented immigrant population of 10.9 million
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-decline-report-says/?utm_term=.d12737ab85e9

Last edited:
Reactions: Skarekrow and acd
Quote the entire sentence. "Most people without healthcare insurance are illegally in the USA, members of working families that cannot afford it, would rather pay the fine, don't even know about it, didn't think it applied to them, etc. If your job does not offer insurance, you are less likely to have it."

How can a poor family insure their children when they can't afford to insure themselves?

Reactions: Stu
Quote the entire sentence. "Most people without healthcare insurance are illegally in the USA, members of working families that cannot afford it, would rather pay the fine, don't even know about it, didn't think it applied to them, etc. If your job does not offer insurance, you are less likely to have it."

How can a poor family insure their children when they can't afford to insure themselves?

Well, that is where the Medicaid expansion was supposed to kick in...and in many states it has been expanded so that Medicaid will pay the Medicare premiums and co-pays if you financially qualify.
Of course many “Red” states chose not to expand Medicaid and let the people in their states suffer.
Cost too much? That because, like you said, there were no limits imposed on the insurance companies besides that new rules regarding dropping people or preexisting conditions.
Look at how the pharmaceutical companies are jacking prices up for drugs that have been around for 50 years, and I agree, there is a large constituency of people who pay way too much for their insurance.
I just don’t agree with throwing the baby out with the bathwater...improve what is broken, but don’t drop millions of people off of health insurance altogether, that will only increase premiums further by subsidizing those who aren’t insured when they go to the ER.

Last edited:
It's important to note, only a small percentage of Americans use health insurance plans provided by the 2010 ACA.

HHS states, 20 million people have enrolled in Obamacare since 2010, but there are about 319 million people in the U.S.

This means, less than seven percent of Americans use Obamacare. The rest of the U.S. population is covered by their employer, Medicaid or Medi-Cal or by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.
http://www.abc10.com/news/local/cal...e-affected-by-obamacare-price-hikes/341809982

"Insurance companies like to blame everyone but themselves," Balber said. "There are many things they can change."

Reactions: Stu
The problem is not what the ACA intended to do (expand health insurance), but what it failed to do: Control costs.
https://informationstation.org/kitc...-nationwide/?gclid=CNDtnI-tsdECFZE6gQodLdwKVg

Preliminary data shows that roughly 5.6 million people paid a tax penalty instead of buying health insurance in 2015.

The budget balloon turns into a party battleground. Maybe we need not have parties fight each other.
If I help the government for 40 years any way I can, I can't even remember who the President was when certain things happened.

I'm just glad to see Obama showcase how impotent the KKK is. I don't think anyone tried to assassinate him - which is a good thing of course.

I think he did a very good job, outside of droning all those children and wedding parties. I'd accept a third term for Mr. Obama.

Whenever I hear Americans talk about healthcare I am reminded that the rest of the developed world got it right. Healthcare is too important and to vital to people's lives to be left to the free market. Trusting in private insurance companies whose main reasons for existence is to maximize profits is a recipe for disaster.

Whenever I hear Americans talk about healthcare I am reminded that the rest of the developed world got it right. Healthcare is too important and to vital to people's lives to be left to the free market. Trusting in private insurance companies whose main reasons for existence is to maximize profits is a recipe for disaster.

Completely agree with @brightmoon I really can't quite believe the seeming unfairness and complexity of the US system, compared to the UK nhs. Universal govt supplied healthcare, free at the point of delivery should be the goal for whichever party. I can't quite endorse Obama's record in such glowing terms though, I think there have been some mixed parts of his record, domestically and internationally. I don't blame him personally, I think as a character he has tried to do an almost impossible job, impeded throughout by some implacable opponents, and did it all with intergrity.

I think the US democrats should really take note though, that some of the poorest US states voted for (lets be generous) an eccentric billionaire ahead of the Democratic candidate. I thought Michelle Obama's last speech was something else, she has quietly supported her husband throughout the last 8 years with impressive dignity.

The Democrats need to majorly get their shit together. Putting the most unpopular and reviled candidate imaginable was so incredibly out of touch. I'm still pissed at the DNC for handing this election to Trump.

It's too early to judge the historical significance of this presidency... but I doubt Obama's face will ever be added to Mt Rushmore.

Reagan negotiated the wind-down of the cold war, which had the world on the brink of nuclear war for decades. Obama may have restarted it... or come very close to it. Only time will tell.

Obama is definitely the greatest US President in living memory, his approval rating are unprecedented for an outgoing president for very good reasons. He presided over one of the most dramatic economic recoveries in US History. Reformed healthcare and brought affordable health for millions of Americans. Even if this is "repealed" the Republicans will not be able to go back to their so called solution to US healthcare known as "I don't care". The amount of uninsured Americans has dropped below 10% for the first time ever and there no turning back the clock on this issue now. On foreign policy he engaged with Iran and Cuba which were both the correct paths of action. He effectively ended direct US in the Iraq War and has all but defeated Daesh. Social change is now not reversible with rights for same sex couples. America has also exhibited global leader on climate change.

The next administration may try to undo some of these achievements but my prediction is the American public will not allow many of these things to be overturned.
When I saw the name of this thread, I first assumed it was sarcasm... When I saw the thread itself, I just about spat out my drink.
Obama is a wonderful person, that is undeniable. He is a smart, well-spoken man, who had good intentions.
But, he had nothing to do with same sex marriage. He ended the Iraq War but has nearly started WW3 numerous times, has laid down "red-lines" and let America be walked on like a carpet. Obamacare gets more expensive every year, it is anything but "affordable".
Aside from a weak economic stimulus package, which was essentially "throw money at random things in the country", and heavily ineffective protectionist measures, he did little to fix the economy. (Better than what McCain would have done, but still.)
Most of these "achievements" will not be remembered, because Obama is one of the worst Presidents we have ever had.
He has committed various atrocities, signed more executive orders than Clinton and Bush combined, and has done many things that have ultimately weakened the country.
He's a nice man, I'd love to have coffee with him, or play golf with him.
But, let's keep people like him, who don't pursue any of what they promise during their campaigns, out of office henceforth. Jimmy Carter was a far better President than him, and by many people's standards, Jimmy Carter was among the worst.
Obama has been very anti-American throughout his term.

Too bad the name of this thread wasn't sarcasm...

Reagan negotiated the wind-down of the cold war, which had the world on the brink of nuclear war for decades.

We all know Reagan had almost nothing to do with the end of the cold war, and that the Soviet Union collapsed under its own internal contradictions. If there was one figure that ended the cold war it has to Gorbachev

Reactions: Skarekrow
Obama has been very anti-American throughout his term.

What recent president do you consider to "pro-American" and why? In what was Obama anti-American?

Before Obamacare were you happy with the state of US healthcare?

Elaborate on the atrocities he has committed. Did he start an illegal war based on falsified intelligence?

In what was has America been walked all over?

As someone looking from outside in (I'm not an American) I don't see these things and much of the rest of the world, the people you call your best friends and closest allies, don't see them either.

Reactions: Skarekrow
We all know Reagan had almost nothing to do with the end of the cold war, and that the Soviet Union collapsed under its own internal contradictions. If there was one figure that ended the cold war it has to Gorbachev
Pathetic.

Here is Gorbachev's opinion on Reagan, from 1994:
[Reagan was]"a statesman who, despite all disagreements that existed between our countries at the time, displayed foresight and determination to meet our proposals halfway and change our relations for the better...
... [Reagan helped] stop the nuclear race, start scrapping nuclear weapons, and arrange normal relations between our countries,”

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5148407/n...gan/t/gorbachev-calls-reagan-great-president/

I think the US democrats should really take note though, that some of the poorest US states voted for (lets be generous) an eccentric billionaire ahead of the Democratic candidate.

The poorest US states are:

Tennessee
Utah
Louisiana
South Carolina
Idaho
Kentucky
New Mexico
Alabama
Arkansas
West Virginia
Mississippi

With the possible exception of New Mexico these states are not even "in play", they are going to vote Republican no matter who the candidate is. That being said Hillary was a flawed candidate in many ways and yes the Democratic party needs to reform itself.