Community Member
Jun 17, 2011
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
(edit: I meant USA)

Heya Americans.

Just trying to get a general idea of how people view the the different parts of America. So please respond generally, and not specifically to the stuff I've said here.

Firstly, I'm not impressed at all by the people who I've met in New England. Besides that they're educated, which is awesome. Otherwise, it seems to me that they're incredibly stupid about life.

I grew up in Texas, and people there are not educated, and yet competent. And so much more humble as well. There are also a lot of New Englanders who come to Houston and build really nice New England style homes and plant rose gardens and shit like that, completely ignoring the, well, completely different climate, as well as local culture. I call them 'carpet baggers' to my immediate family, halfway jokingly.

The South has some really nice traditions. I hate that the transplanted elite of my hometown has been for the past thirty years or so, trying so very hard to make Houston into Hartford, CT, part two. Southerners have been through a lot of shit, and don't deserve it.

Also, the poverty in Houston is awful! I can't stand how these people come here and build these enormous homes and take the best jobs, without giving anything back to the community. Ugh!

Before you New Englanders get all in a hussy, let me mention that I HATE living in the South, and would chose Massachusetts over Texas any day. It's just a nicer place to live. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop placing the blame where the blame is due, however.

I'm really just looking for some general observations from people who have lived in different parts of the US. What was the culture like? How were the people? Did you prefer one place over the other?

Thanks.

(edit: I meant USA)

Heya Americans.

Just trying to get a general idea of how people view the the different parts of America. So please respond generally, and not specifically to the stuff I've said here.

Firstly, I'm not impressed at all by the people who I've met in New England. Besides that they're educated, which is awesome. Otherwise, it seems to me that they're incredibly stupid about life.

I grew up in Texas, and people there are not educated, and yet competent. And so much more humble as well. There are also a lot of New Englanders who come to Houston and build really nice New England style homes and plant rose gardens and shit like that, completely ignoring the, well, completely different climate, as well as local culture. I call them 'carpet baggers' to my immediate family, halfway jokingly.

The South has some really nice traditions. I hate that the transplanted elite of my hometown has been for the past thirty years or so, trying so very hard to make Houston into Hartford, CT, part two. Southerners have been through a lot of shit, and don't deserve it.

Also, the poverty in Houston is awful! I can't stand how these people come here and build these enormous homes and take the best jobs, without giving anything back to the community. Ugh!

Before you New Englanders get all in a hussy, let me mention that I HATE living in the South, and would chose Massachusetts over Texas any day. It's just a nicer place to live. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop placing the blame where the blame is due, however.

I'm really just looking for some general observations from people who have lived in different parts of the US. What was the culture like? How were the people? Did you prefer one place over the other?

Thanks.

Im from new haven ct, smarmy central... I'm making my escape to California, new England is very socially fragmented and class divided. Doesnt suit my personality well...

Oh dear.

Ugh

I'd be more scared if you weren't just 22

IMO, your post is all sorts of ick.

I'm gonna stick with West Coast rulz!! LOL

Reactions: Blind Bandit
[MENTION=3096]Stormy1[/MENTION]
How? When? Where? Why? Please be more specific. I want to argue. I also want to rant, too.

'murica!

Me no play with younguns--you SAY you want to argue and rant but then you will cry and I will feel guilty.....

Nope. Cross my heart and hope to die. Scout's honor. Tell me how wrong I am, about everything.

But if I tell you how horribly prissy, pissy and entitled you sound, it won't mean as much as if you learned to see that yourself.....

....and here I am having a mental picture of this

north-america-map.gif

and this..

7-continental-south-america-map.jpg

:smow:

Okay, carry on.

....and here I am having a mental picture of this

and this..

:smow:

Okay, carry on.

yar, that's what i was thinking, and i was all like, "why u leave out Central America?"

But if I tell you how horribly prissy, pissy and entitled you sound, it won't mean as much as if you learned to see that yourself.....

Of course I sound pissy! I'm mad! And yeah, clearly some of the statements are pretty outrageous. But, that's just the way I roll.

Also, I call ad hominem!!! Seriously, don't you know how to argue?

@Stormy1
How? When? Where? Why? Please be more specific. I want to argue. I also want to rant, too.

You do realize most of us on INFJs are from all over the world. And I'm not a new Englander. I'm a pacific north west born and raised. Also I get a big south vs north vibe from you.

Honestly I don't know enough about the south to comment. Also you might want to be me specific in that you mean northern united States vs southern united states. I thought you meant the continents (north America and south America).

You guys don't think she has something of a point?
Do you all mean to say there are absolutely no differences between any of the US regions?

I think you are kidding yourselves--and a few of you have your own biases that influence your posts in this thread..
That's why you can't take the OP seriously..maybe look at yourself.

You guys are all bummers.
I was looking forward to hearing from people who have lived all over and if they had experienced anything of the differences..
Have any of you lived anywhere outside of your birth region??

Last edited:
I have lived in Arizona, Colorado and now Georgia. Where I like to say there are generalizations, the most common generalization is that locals feel they are losing their "identity" to transplants. Does it really matter if we are all legal US citizens? Arizonians hated people that moved in from California (b/c it was thought they effected the housing market with their money.) Coloradoians hated people who moved in from California and Texas (mainly b/c they cannot drive in the snow.)

The other common misconception is that people of one region are of one attitude over the other. Just remember that you receive what you give or treat people as you wish to be treated. (Well, except for assholes ... like the womenfolk who worked behind the desk at my previous obgyn.)

Perceptions also vary between social classes ... everywhere I have lived if you live in an affluent area, you are a judged by your possessions and education. If you live rurally, you are judged by your character.

I will say this though, I have found it much easier to make (life-long) friends in Georgia. My perception was that the people were more friendly, strangers look at each other in the eye and greet one another. Now I realize, it is more that I find it easier to make friends as I get OLDER, because the age pool at which I allow myself to make friends becomes bigger. I think in general, people learn to respect each other more as they age.

Sorry I couldn't make the generalizations you were looking for, but this will:

The-United-States-of-Shame.png

Last edited:
I have lived in Arizona, Colorado and now Georgia. Where I like to say there are generalizations, the most common generalization is that locals feel they are losing their "identity" to transplants. Does it really matter if we are all legal US citizens? Arizonians hated people that moved in from California (b/c it was thought they effected the housing market with their money.) Coloradoians hated people who moved in from California and Texas (mainly b/c they cannot drive in the snow.)

The other common misconception is that people of one region are of one attitude over the other. Just remember that you receive what you give or treat people as you wish to be treated.

Perceptions also vary between social classes ... everywhere I have lived if you live in an affluent area, you are a judged by your possessions and education. If you live rurally, you are judged by your character.

I will say this though, I have found it much easier to make (life-long) friends in Georgia. My perception was that the people were more friendly, strangers look at each other in the eye and greet one another. Now I realize, it is more that I find it easier to make friends as I get OLDER, because the age pool at which I allow myself to make friends becomes bigger. I think in general, people learn to respect each other more as they age.

Sorry I couldn't make the generalizations you were looking for, but this will:

View attachment 13807

Nice of everything Washington could get labeled with.... Fuck!

But seriously that's a great pic I'm saving that.

Also I will say the midwest has ok people but god that place is hell to live. Its so damn humid. You feel sticky and nasty every season expect winter. But I will admit I liked the thunder storms.

Reactions: Sriracha
Also a funny thing about Washington. If you go past the continental divide. People assume your from Washington DC. Also people think that Washington is exactly like Seattle. Even thought its been proven it rains a great deal more in the mid west (I'm talking like raining so hard it floods). That never ever happens in Seattle.

Reactions: Lerxst
This isn't just a North vs South argument here. First of all, in big cities, you get a mix of anyone from anywhere (Even [MENTION=4423]Sriracha[/MENTION] would agree that Savannah Georgia has a totally different feel than Atlanta). Secondly, each state has its own culture: For instance, Texas and New Mexico are in the same region but almost have a night and day difference. Then you have Utah, which might as well be its own island nation somewhere...

Although, I am from the New England area and will tell you that a large part of the region is filled with apathetic a**holes. Not that it's their fault, but when you cram 7 million people (for example) into a couple of tiny islands, where they literally live on top of one another, it's hard to really care about your fellow human beings.

Even then, you go to northern Maine (still New England) and you might as well be in Canada with the culture and even their power grid! The Adirondack region of New York state is also a really huge contrast to New York City - small log cabins, hiking trails and Bed & Breakfasts vs taxi cabs, pollution and skyscrapers.

This isn't just a North vs South argument. If you really want to start an argument accuse someone from Northern California of being from L.A...

This is also a really good show for this sorta thing:

[video=youtube_share;BLIh8e8nbLU]http://youtu.be/BLIh8e8nbLU[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.