North Korea Fires on South Korea

Reon

Midnight's Garden
Nov 1, 2008
MBTI
Questioning?
Enneagram
5w6
Story: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/23/nkorea.skorea.military.fire/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Essentially speaking, North Korea trolled South Korea with artillery. I've scoured the internet (aka, I've read comments on two sites, same difference) and there seems to be three different points of view, the first two concerning actual Korean views and one dealing with how the incident is seen on the world stage. Some (south) Koreans seems to think this event is actually not all the important in the long run and that this event will cause no escalation in violence. Other south Koreans think this is a step towards nuclear war and, if not, this is a sign that reunification is not possible anymore. The overall view on the world scale is that N. Korea needs to chill out.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

N. Korea needs to chill the fuck out.

Reactions: Odyne
Chillax N Korea, life isn't that serious.

Incredible.. Makes me wonder what's next. A constant reminder that something simple can seriously escalate.

*sigh* North Korea and their paranoia.

I don't know much about their politics but it seems they're both fragile and aggressive. :|

*sigh* North Korea and their paranoia.

I don't know much about their politics but it seems they're both fragile and aggressive. :|

Sounds like us (rather, the U.S.,) frankly. It sounds like we're making it out to be a bigger deal here than the S.Koreans are there, and that's both worrisome and a relief all at once.

Honestly, I bet North Koreans are quite content in the safety
and security that Kim Jung Il provides them with.
Being so scheduled and restricted has its cons but jesus
christ am I a little envious sometimes.

I'm being an idealist this morning yearning safety and security.
Belittle my weakness. Belittle it.

I do think Senor Il should perhaps consider being a little less
so uptight but I understand completely his paranoia. He has
created a perfect state for himself or at least that is his prime
goal. He doesn't want anyone to interfere. Selfish? Sure.
But I really do think he genuinely cares about his people.

It is wise to keep in mind the Korean War never officially ended, but to consider the fact the ceasefire now has.

Namaste,
Ian

It is wise to keep in mind the Korean War never officially ended, but to consider the fact the ceasefire now has.

Namaste,
Ian

Eh... not really; I mean yes they fired on S.Korean, but they have been all along; this is just an unusually visible example of it. The ceasefire has never been honored.

Honestly, I bet North Koreans are quite content in the safety and security that Kim Jung Il provides them with.

... I really do think he genuinely cares about his people.

Tell that to Shin Dong-hyuk, not to mention the countless others who never managed to escape.

I bet Kim Jung-Il is getting closer and closer to death, and is trying to weasel what little bit of military strength his country has left into a show of "force".

I hope for the people of North Korea they can find at least a little bit of freedom in the coming years and imminent regime change (at least I really do hope it's a regime change, and not just a leadership change)

I listened to the story on NPR today, and according to them North Korea often lashes out like this when South Korea gets positive world press, and there isn't much South Korea can do in response because Seoul is so close to the border.

I'm not saying he's a nice person.

I just think in his own twisted way
he really does care.

I doubt it. He lives a life of insane luxury while millions of North Koreans are starving and in extremely poor health from conditions that modern medicine could easily treat. I don't see how someone living like that could care the slightest bit. I think he's an extreme sociopath. I've met people just like him only they're too stupid to get into politics, so they become managers. The only thing they care about is power and controlling people. They make me sick.

Reactions: NuthatchXi
100% homogenous society, 100% ruled by kim jung il

highly recommended viewing here...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ixGYzbLz0"]YouTube - The Vice Guide to North Korea - Part 01[/ame]

Why do you think so? And why do you think that the North Korean people are "quite content"?

I think I'm just trying to be optimistic
about him.

I think they're quite content because
personally I would love to have every
single thing about my life controlled.

I doubt it. He lives a life of insane luxury while millions of North Koreans are starving and in extremely poor health from conditions that modern medicine could easily treat. I don't see how someone living like that could care the slightest bit. I think he's an extreme sociopath. I've met people just like him only they're too stupid to get into politics, so they become managers. The only thing they care about is power and controlling people. They make me sick.

Oh my gosh.
YOU KNOW KIM JUNG-IL PERSONALLY1!!!1!!!!

SO JEALOUS.

North Korea learned many years ago they could do what they want to do. China does not want anyone else near the peninsula. North Korea was beaten to the ground, but China stepped in and changed everything. Everyone has allies, but remember others have political agendas that take precedence over anything else.

Taepo Dong and Shehab generations are from shared technologies. Iran and North Korea are doing most everything they can to suck the world into war. North Korea will show their ignorance, thinking they are showing their might, only as a decoy for the most uninformed of the world. They will continue to do so until China spanks them.

The US Congress Monday spoke in regards to START with Russia (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty). Our leaders are trying to do everything they can with their lame ducks until January 5 next year. Why reduce weapons manufacturing when your self-decided enemies are continuing to produce more WMDs? Second Amendment rights have been turned over to the UN for scrutiny, as the 80 plus million gun owners in America have little clue what that may bring....may not even know our current administration has betrayed us.

North Korea sees us as a weak nation with little to no influence any more. Maybe we should stop sponsoring the United Nations. Their agenda for a gunless society around the world is rediculous to many, but they have a reason for making the populace unarmed so they can change the world the way they want to. Last thing they want is an uprising against them. Maybe they should look at their ideals with a microscope and see the way it really is.

Yes, the ceasefire has been violated. It has been violated before with the sinking of a South Korean warship. How many remember the Karine-A? Wonder where that came from?

The passing of power to a new leader is in progress. I see this as a lesson in world politics to the young man.

I think they're quite content because
personally I would love to have every
single thing about my life controlled.
I think otherwise because your personal preference is in the small minority, and there is no reason to assume that the North Koreans share your peculiarities.