Ni-doms, how do you approach new situations? | INFJ Forum

Ni-doms, how do you approach new situations?

blacklight

Dec 28, 2014
MBTI
Searching
Do you quickly just roll up your sleeves and start acting or do you need time for observation?

I've been thinking about this because I was temporarily working in a different environment than my regular workplace. There was this woman who was also new there but she immediately took charge. Before I was able to sit on my ass she had already planned a schedule and started giving tasks to me like I was her subordinate (which wasn't the case). I was super annoyed about it because I did have a feeling that her plans weren't that amazing but I had nothing to back up my feelings at the time. So she got frustrated because she thought I was just slowing things down with a negative attitude. I was working with her only couple of days but those were looong hours probably for both of us. I concentrated being as neutral as possible while processing all the new information, atmosphere and everything I cannot really specify in my head. At the same time I sort of blocked her out and she thought that I was being arrogant. Now when I'm back at my own workplace I'd be able to tell her why I was so reluctant (besides that I don't want to be micromanaged) and now I have pretty decent arguments to defend my "feeling".

This episode made me think that I may appear slow and absent to quicker and more action-oriented people and they might think that I'm being lazy or don't know anything. In reality, I'm very active in my head but it takes time to get it out in a way that anyone (including myself!) can understand.

Is this typical Ni? Can anyone relate?

I think the typical take-charge person tends to be a EJ, when they do it rapidly. I think it's quite common for INFJ not to do that.

It's common for all intuition to generally require time to build, as it's not as much in your control how intuition builds, and I think it's even harder for intuitive feelers to sort of monitor the building of intuitions, than intuitive thinkers at times that is, in the case where both are moderate intuitives rathe than extreme ones without much judgment. You might've been dealing with an ESJ or just EJ, though of course hard to tell unless I know them.

As for jumping in quickly, I think a J preference can contribute for and against somehow. The P type might either be more impulsive, or excessively observant - it depends how the perceiving attitude comes in.

If you mention other MBTI you are considering I might offer perspective on other things that could contribute to your experience.

Last edited:
Ni is the exact opposite of Se. What do you think?

GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*horror movie scream*

I CANNOT.

Like, I can-- if the stars and planets all aligned and I get a good environment with good people, decent challenge; and more positive benefits than risks-- as well as some room to experience on my own.

OTHERWISE AAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I always sit down, watch, and think -- get a handle on what's going on before I start doing stuff.

If people try to pressure me into action before I'm ready, I tell them to shut up.

Obviously this doesn't work in some situations where the worst thing you can do is nothing, but I tend to recognize those basically immediately. When that happens I tend to fumble gracefully through the event and hope I can figure out what I'm doing before I pass the point of no return. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Depends. If it is something I really care about, I observe and reflect a lot. If it is something not so important in my life, I can roll up my sleeves and wing it.

I can relate, but only to an extent, cause I'm like that ALL THE TIME. Not just in new situations. In any situation, I am thinking about the answer to a problem. The only time I am not is when I have the answer. Again, I still think some ridiculous percent of everyone here are mistyped ENFJs. No information to back that up though, so it is exactly as the op said.

What changes is what I am thinking about. For example, currently, I'm thinking about the above.