Nervous ticks and how to get over them... DUN DUN DUN

jupiterswoon

Permanent Fixture
Mar 30, 2012
MBTI
ISFP
Enneagram
What are your nervous ticks?

When did you first become aware of them?

What have you done to alleviate or get rid of them?

What is the specific situation that causes them- social/family/etc?

anxiety

couple months ago

I take ativan(lorazepam), benzodiazipines.

Worrying about everything pretty much, family, friends, other people's issues. And where Im the center of attention I tend to got uncontrollable anxiety

Reactions: Nixie
This is great advice right here
@uberrogo

Producing a lot of saliva/ swallowing heaps
17 years of age
Can't/ try to think of something else
Around a certain 'someone', or being interviewed/ in the spotlight

I get nervous leg syndrome, and try to take myself out of the stressful situation by thinking about other things. It can be very annoying in exam situations, but I have learnt to manage it. I used to bite my nails a lot, but I stopped a few months ago, and haven't broken it once. I usually replace tics with another tic, and I think my new tick is counting down from either 10 or 5 when doing repetitive things like making coffee, opening the door, turning on my computer, ect. I don't know if that could qualify as a nervous tick, or just a tick ..

Some of them by me noticing, some I have had forever, some I have to have pointed out by others. It varies.

Sorry to be an unhelpful idiot, but "willpower".

Mostly in social situations, where I am around a lot of people I don't know that well/at all. When I'm around my family I usually turn very quiet and keep my feelings to myself. When I'm under any kind of stress it comes out in full swing.

Used to have these when I was younger. I think I lost most of them, but once in a while, I'll have one. Having them made me feel so awkward and uncomfortable. In any case, I wish people understood them more. That was about close to 25 years ago but then I developed a few in college. I looked odd for sure. Facial ticks, at one point, and I had a thing where I was so self conscious that when I walked, I would be be very careful where I would step. And today, I still bite my nails. Yes, it's a bad and unattractive habit but whatever. The hurtful thing about them is that people blame you the person for them, as if it's something you can control. And it made life difficult for a while. People were so usually uncomfortable with i had them, and kinda felt isolating. One of those things I forgot about which contributes to my sensitivity. But I'm glad there's more awareness of them.

I have yet to solve this problem, and I hope someone can help....

So..my biggest problem is when I get overwhelmed..I suffer from a complete shut down of my communication department...MEANING,,a lot of AWKWARD lulls..not being able to process words..and overall being the joke of the party

Does anyone know what I am talking about, and has solved this situation. THX

When I was 13, 14, and 15 I had a horrendous facial tic (it ebbed and flowed from pretty bad to severe). I decided one day that I just really wanted it to be gone. I imagined it as a grey blob. I forced myself to picture it as vividly as I could, getting smaller and smaller. I did this daily as often as I could think of doing it. After about 3 weeks to a month, the blob was small in my mind and I felt more in control of the situation. That was the last time it was that severe. I'm 41 now and the tic crops up from time to time, especially if I'm severely stressed out or over-tired or both. But it's just for a few seconds, not months upon months at a time. I like the way I handled it. I don't know why I didn't take charge of it sooner. I guess I was absorbing it and experiencing it, and absorbing it and experiencing it, and absorbing it and experiencing it. And pressing onward. This seems to be my way, my most difficult way that I don't realise I've done until way later on after all the difficulty. INFJ time. I know that now.

I know exactly what you mean! The more emotionally charged situation is the more likely I am to do that "shut down " response. In that situation even sensory stimulation can make it worse.

I would say checking my door, also my legs get restless at night, when I am stressed out. Personally, I get obcessed about everything and dont accomplish much :(

I've been that way since I was a child

I find ways to address my fears and develop plans.
frankly letting stuff go, as in forcing myself to stop that behavior at some point;for exzample, I only check my door three times a night before bed period.

work overload, emotional stress such as family conflict, parties.