Neil Armstrong (1930-2012) RIP | INFJ Forum

Neil Armstrong (1930-2012) RIP

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Neil Armstrong (82) RIP

CINCINNATI (AP) – Neil Armstrong was a quiet self-described nerdy engineer who became a global hero when as a steely-nerved pilot he made "one giant leap for mankind" with a small step on to the moon. The modest man who had people on Earth entranced and awed from almost a quarter million miles away has died. He was 82.

Armstrong died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures, a statement Saturday from his family said. It didn't say where he died.

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon July 20, 1969, capping the most daring of the 20th century's scientific expeditions. His first words after setting foot on the surface are etched in history books and the memories of those who heard them in a live broadcast.

"That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind," Armstrong said.

http://news.yahoo.com/neil-armstrong-1st-man-moon-dies-193954975.html

Last edited:
Aw.. I'm sad now.

[video=youtube;1hKSYgOGtos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKSYgOGtos[/video]

[video=youtube;OXoalnqD7z4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXoalnqD7z4[/video]

[video=youtube;HVVQ0u--mYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVQ0u--mYo[/video]

didn't expect this at all.

Reactions: Gaze
I guess we'll never know if Stanley Kubric filmed the lunar landing after all.

I hope for Mr. Armstrong's sake that we manage to venture further than the moon before we kill ourselves off or are otherwise enveloped in some catastrophic event. Losing anyone that has helped shape who we are always feels like a terrible blow.

Feller had some chops though.
Strapping yourself to a rocket filled with enough combustible material to completely incinerate yourself and your crew members into something unidentifiable. Then you trust that every calculation made isn't gonna leave you stranded somewhere rather inhospitable like a vacuum. He made it to the moon and back in a can. A well engineered can, with the best technology we had at the time...velcro was one of these amazing technologies.

Something that lifted my spirits up on a side note...The Father of Rock and Roll, Chuck Berry, is still touring.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling sad. :(

Do you mind if I ask about your feeling?
Like, do you genuinely feel sad about this?

Not at all.

I do feel sort of sad that he passed away. I mean, I know he was getting on in years, but I'm still fairly sad. I've watched quite a few documentaries of him.

I read this on Discovery News:

The family statement concluded with a request: "For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

armstrong-dead-zoom1.jpg

Feller had some chops though.
Strapping yourself to a rocket filled with enough combustible material to completely incinerate yourself and your crew members into something unidentifiable. Then you trust that every calculation made isn't gonna leave you stranded somewhere rather inhospitable like a vacuum. He made it to the moon and back in a can. A well engineered can, with the best technology we had at the time...velcro was one of these amazing technologies.
Yeah he did! He seemed very calm throughout life, and not the sort of person to seek out the limelight at all. I'd be freaking my $#!+ under those circumstances, as would most people, I think.

Something that lifted my spirits up on a side note...The Father of Rock and Roll, Chuck Berry, is still touring.
Huh? I had to google this and he actually has a tour schedule and everything. wow.

Its sad when people die, and in this case what a great contribution to humanity Neil Armstrong made. There's a really good book about the twelve Apollo astronauts who have walked on the moon, by Andrew Smith called Moondust.

View attachment 15109