Native American Heritage Month | INFJ Forum

Native American Heritage Month

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
Let me guess: you didn't know.

https://memoriesofthepeople.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/the-slave-trade-that-textbooks-ignore/

No empathy? No sadness?

I think people can only be truly connected to something they believe in. By the time you read this, where in our history books is our true history? You were taught what they wanted you to learn. Now, this generation's learning skills has had its roots scaled back as a scaled fish. My Mother said I carried Cherokee blood from my Father's side of the family. Where are all the TV and internet commercials this month? Buried in the sands of time by our ancestors who want us to believe we had nothing to do with it. Give them a month to be remembered, but who cares any longer.

800px-Ta-ayz-slath%2C_wife_of_Geronimo%2C_and_one_child.jpg

On August 3, 1990 the month of November was declared as National American Heritage Month, thereafter commonly referred to as Native American Heritage Month. First sponsor of "American Indian Heritage Month" was through the American Indian Heritage Foundation by the founder Pale Moon Rose, of Cherokee-Seneca descent and an adopted Ojibwa, whose Indian name Win-yan-sa-han-wi "Princess of the Pale Moon" was given to her by Alfred Michael "Chief" Venne [SUP][1][/SUP] [SUP][1][/SUP]

Last edited:
Reactions: Free
quote-the-more-i-consider-the-condition-of-the-white-men-the-more-fixed-becomes-my-opinion-tomochichi-66-83-49.jpg

Native-American-Sioux-and-Bison_art.jpg

expansion.gif

My sister called me last night to tell me a bit more of our heritage. We have Atakapian native american ancestry from our Dad's side They roamed the coastal areas of TX and LA yet have no "legal" recognition from the US government.

She said she was reading up on the tribe and they were also referred to as the:
Sunrise People and the Sunset People.

We both agreed we like that very much.

I have advocated for Native American rights and for the government to at least respect they land they live on now...and it's been a hard road to walk.It seems as if the gov't is intent on wiping them out altogether...and it breaks my heart. I have several native's as friends on facebook and they are very active in increasing awareness and fighting for their rights. So I get a good look at what's going on under the table these days. At least the president told Keystone NO on their pipeline. That was slated to go right through the Lakota nation sacred land.

I live about 15 miles from a small reservation of the Alabama Coushatta and was privileged to be invited to one of their big gatherings where they do the sacred dances and drumming. Wow... I could feel the Spirit rising as they danced.

I greatly respect The People.

Last edited:
It would be great if people here would post the local tribes they can find in our books and records. Tomochichi gave James Oglethorpe the land that is now Savannah, GA. We had Creek and Guale, Yamacraw, along with Cherokee influence.

My sister called me last night to tell me a bit more of our heritage. We have Atakapian native american ancestry from our Dad's side They roamed the coastal areas of TX and LA yet have no "legal" recognition from the US government.

She said she was reading up on the tribe and they were also referred to as the:
Sunrise People and the Sunset People.

We both agreed we like that very much.

I have advocated for Native American rights and for the government to at least respect they land they live on now...and it's been a hard road to walk.It seems as if the gov't is intent on wiping them out altogether...and it breaks my heart. I have several native's as friends on facebook and they are very active in increasing awareness and fighting for their rights. So I get a good look at what's going on under the table these days. At least they told Keystone no on their pipeline. That was slated to go right through the Lakota nation sacred land.

I live about 15 miles from a small reservation of the Alabama Coushatta and was privileged to be invited to one of their big gatherings where they do the sacred dances and drumming. Wow... I could feel the Spirit rising as they danced.

I greatly respect The People.

I read of an unnamed tribe in that area called Plains Runners, along with something else. Roamed as far west as now Arizona.

FoundingFathers.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
I read of an unnamed tribe in that area called Plains Runners, along with something else. Roamed as far west as now Arizona.

I watched the story of the Lakota as as well with the Mayans with the president.

FoundingFathers.jpg

Plains Runners - eh? We haven't run across that name yet...but it would make sense if they travelled out west beyond the rivers bisecting TX in half. Our people lived among the many rivers, creeks, and bayous permeating the eastern half of TX and the bottom half of LA, MS, and so on.

Our first cousins have Cherokee ancestry through their father's side. I'll talk with my sister to see what else she knows.

PS. I edited the word out of my original post. You'll have to edit the word out in this post of yours...since you quoted me. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: just me
Thank you.

You might wanna take Indian out of the title.

Reactions: just me
616x510.jpg

616x510.jpg

Osceola, Seminole war Chief in Florida.

800px-Pdx_washpark_sacajawea_w.jpeg

Statue representing Sacagawea (ca. 1788—1812), a Lemhi Shoshone who was taken captive by the Hidatsa people and sold to Toussaint Charbonneau.
European enslavement[edit]

Native Americans enslaved by Spaniards, published in 1596.​

European colonists caused a change in Native American slavery, as they created a new demand market for captives of raids.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP] For decades, the colonies were short of workers. Especially in the southern colonies, initially developed for resource exploitation rather than settlement, colonists purchased or captured Native Americans to be used as forced labor in cultivating tobacco, and, by the eighteenth century, rice, and indigo.[SUP][2][/SUP] To acquire trade goods, Native Americans began selling war captives to whites rather than integrating them into their own societies.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] Traded goods varied among the tribes such as axes, bronze kettles, Caribbean rum, European jewelry, needles, scissors, but the most prized were rifles.[SUP][5][/SUP] The English copied the Spanish and Portuguese: they saw the enslavement of Africans and Native Americans as a moral, legal, and socially acceptable institution; a rationale for enslavement was "just war" taking captives and using slavery as an alternative to a death sentence.[SUP][11][/SUP] The escape of Native American slaves was frequent, because they had a better understanding of the land; whereas the African slaves did not. Consequently, the Natives who were captured and sold into slavery were often sent to the West Indies, or far away from their home.[SUP][10][/SUP] The first African slave on record was placed in Jamestown, before the 1630s indentured servitude was dominant form of bondage in the colonies however by 1636 only Caucasians could lawfully receive contracts as indentured servants.[SUP][12][/SUP] The oldest record obtained of a permanent Native American slave, was a native man from Massachusetts in 1636.[SUP][12][/SUP] By 1661 slavery had become legal in all of the 13 colonies.[SUP][12][/SUP] Virginia would later declare that "Indians, Mulattos, and Negros to be real estate", and in 1682 New York forbade African or Native American slaves from leaving their master's home or plantation without permission.[SUP][12][/SUP] Europeans also viewed the enslavement of Native Americans differently than the enslavement of Africans in some cases; a belief that Africans were "brutish people" was dominant while both Native Americans and Africans were considered savages, Native Americans were romanticized as noble people that could be elevated into Christian civilization.[SUP][11][/SUP]
Little is known about the thousands of Native Americans that were forced into labor.[SUP][13][/SUP] Two myths have complicated the history of Native American slavery; that Native Americans were undesirable as servants and that Native Americans were exterminated or pushed out after King Philip's War.[SUP][13][/SUP] The precise legal status for some Native Americans is difficult to establish in some occasions as involuntary servitude and slavery were poorly defined in the 17th century British America.[SUP][13][/SUP] Some masters asserted ownership over the children of Native American servants, seeking to turn them into slaves.[SUP][13][/SUP] The historical uniqueness of slavery in America is that European settlers drew a rigid line between insiders "people like themselves who could never be enslaved" and nonwhite outsiders "mostly Africans and Native Americans who could be enslaved".[SUP][13][/SUP] A unique feature between natives and colonists was that they gradually asserted sovereignty over the native inhabitants during the seventeenth century, ironically transforming them into subjects with collective rights and privileges that Africans could not enjoy.[SUP][13][/SUP] The West Indies developed as plantation societies prior to the Chesapeake Bay region and had a demand for labor.
In the Spanish colonies, the church assigned Spanish surnames to Native Americans and recorded them as servants rather than slaves.[SUP][14][/SUP] Many members of Native American tribes in the West would be taken against their will for life as slaves.[SUP][14][/SUP] In the East, Native Americans were recorded as slaves.[SUP][15][/SUP]
Slavery in Indian Territory across the United States used slaves for many purposes from work in the plantations of the East, to guides across the wilderness, to work in deserts of the West, and to be soldiers in wars. Native American slaves suffered new European diseases, inhumane treatment, and death.[SUP][15]

[/SUP]
Every European nation that colonized North America utilized Indian slaves for construction, plantations and mining on the North American continent but more frequently in their outposts in the Caribbean and in the metropoles of Europe.
As the pieces of the puzzle come together in the scholarship, historians note that nowhere is there more documentation than in South Carolina, what was the original English colony of Carolina, established in 1670.
It is estimated that between 1650 and 1730 at least 50,000 Indians (and likely more due to transactions hidden to avoid paying government tariffs and taxes) were exported by the English alone to their Caribbean outposts. Between 1670 and 1717 far more Indians were exported than Africans were imported. In southern coastal regions entire tribes were exterminated through slavery compared to disease or war. In a law passed in 1704, Indian slaves were conscripted to fight in wars for the colony long before the American Revolution.

My great-grandfather was half Native Canadian but I don't know the tribe. I have pictures of his family who are clearly of native heritage but they were assimilated into French society.
I've done my genealogy quite far back and I have several ancestors who were Native Americans children taken prisoner by the French and brought back to Québec where they were assimilated into the society.

We have a shameful history in Canada regarding the treatment of the native Canadian population since the beginning of European settlements. I have met the new Aboriginal Affairs Minister and she is very passionate about the cause and well connected and respected by the aboriginal community so I'm hopeful that we may have some progress with some of the issues still plaguing Aboriginals in my country.

The History Channel states clearly the first slave in America was an African American. How could someone supposedly up on these things be so wrong? That is an insult to me and my intelligence, no matter what they want to hide and lie about.

map_big.gif

may8.jpg

The Mayans

0bf8a91.jpg

Native American slaves

Reactions: Artisan
images