Music for musicians- partial blog | INFJ Forum

Music for musicians- partial blog

detectivepope

Permanent Fixture
Jun 9, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
For a while I have been posting on the 'what are you listening to right now' thread and there are very little response to the tracks. I rarely talk about music on a detailed basis due to the fact its stupid to assume most have (really trying to be modest) extensive/professional knowledge (which I've had so much problems). I will discuss not only what some see as 'outthere' but right up to pop and current hits. Another reason is so I can hopefully show people something new. I will discuss the track alone so any further questions (such as band info, location) I should make you aware that you are on the internet. Technical stuff is fine though (instruments, how to achieve the sound etc...)

Today I am introducing Tortoise with lithium stiffs/crest. I've included the live version as its almost identical, but has better atmosphere and a video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JH9f9tjDKY"]YouTube - ‪Tortoise - The Lithium Stiffs / Crest (It´s All Around You) live‬‏[/ame]

Not necessarily new tracks by any means, however its two that often crop up when discussing non-traditional band set ups and sound. Another major thing one must mention, is that I included them together. On the album (It

Reactions: cocobean
They sound talented and I can't deny their ability but, where's their "catch"? Where's the part of the song that makes you want to hear more? It's very rhythmic, but all I hear it the rhythm. It's the kind of music I would probably listen to in the background somewhere but not really notice or miss if it wasn't there.

Not bad, but not my cup of tea.

I really like the idea of this, I was thinking of doing something similar myself. Diving into a blog about session musicians and how the overall sound of an era gets shaped. I've never heard of this band or this song but I like it quite a lot, starts out fairly slow but the build up is pretty great. The ending has a bit of a King Crimson vibe to it that I really enjoy. I'm excited to hear more of what you have to put here. Would you be opposed to others sharing some of the technicalities and music theories of their favorite musical tracks here or do you intend this as more of a personal blog of sorts?

They sound talented and I can't deny their ability but, where's their "catch"? Where's the part of the song that makes you want to hear more? It's very rhythmic, but all I hear it the rhythm. It's the kind of music I would probably listen to in the background somewhere but not really notice or miss if it wasn't there.

Not bad, but not my cup of tea.

Its music for musicians so its unlikely to have a 'catch' as a such but rather musical ideas. Most of the music I like, no one listens to, because its one of them 'niche' things. New music/styles/ideas are very very rarely invented by the mainstream so this blog is for the curious and artisans. I know (personally) big fans of them whom have become mainstream successes using more accessible versions of the ideas included, which seems to be the trend as far new idea go. A quick example, the 90's genre of 'industrial' was invented in england in 1975 but it took till the late 80's/early 90's to hit the mainstream media/population.

I really like the idea of this, I was thinking of doing something similar myself. Diving into a blog about session musicians and how the overall sound of an era gets shaped. I've never heard of this band or this song but I like it quite a lot, starts out fairly slow but the build up is pretty great. The ending has a bit of a King Crimson vibe to it that I really enjoy. I'm excited to hear more of what you have to put here. Would you be opposed to others sharing some of the technicalities and music theories of their favorite musical tracks here or do you intend this as more of a personal blog of sorts?

Yeah go for it, but don't overtake thats all.

Its music for musicians so its unlikely to have a 'catch' as a such but rather musical ideas. Most of the music I like, no one listens to, because its one of them 'niche' things. New music/styles/ideas are very very rarely invented by the mainstream so this blog is for the curious and artisans. I know (personally) big fans of them whom have become mainstream successes using more accessible versions of the ideas included, which seems to be the trend as far new idea go. A quick example, the 90's genre of 'industrial' was invented in england in 1975 but it took till the late 80's/early 90's to hit the mainstream media/population.

In that case I've never understood the "music for musicians" phrase. Would it be the same as "musician's musicians" that a lot of people also use?

I've been a Progressive Rock guitarist for 18 years, so the music I listen to is not exactly "mainstream". Frank Zappa, Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull... not exactly radio-friendly bands. They also paved the way for a lot of contemporary Metal and Rock bands like Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Primus and Iron Maiden. And nowadays we also have bands like Dream Theter, Symphony X and Apocalyptica ("Cello Rock"?!).

The thing is, even though they were revolutionary for their time in their genre, their music was still very tangible for an audience. They use complex phrasing, multiple time signatures, key changes, classical instruments and some other really weird instruments at times but they still maintain that "catch" I was referring to for a lot of their songs - one phrase that gets you hooked and want to hear more.

So when I'm saying it's not my cup of tea, it doesn't mean I don't "get it". It means it really isn't my "cup of tea".

I like the idea of this blog.

Todays example is a favourite of mine, its Paco De Lucia with a live performance if Almoraima (Bulerias).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmps3Cc-5_0"]YouTube - ‪PACO DE LUCIA - Almoraima (Bulerias) (1976 UK Live TV Performance) ~ HIGH QUALITY HQ ~‬‏[/ame]

Firstly one thing to be noticed as far as this blog is concerned is he is using acoustics only which is an art in itself.
The piece uses a technique that I like to practice which is splitting the guitar in two ranges, this means using both low and high as if they were different instruments or parts. Like writing a piano part is the best to look at this way of organising interaction.
Paco uses a roll or flared finger technique to stutter or quicken chord strokes giving that super fast feel and that spanish rolling sound. This twinned with a shed load of hammer ons and offs gives for a range in speed you don't get often.
Unlike other pieces of his this one I found have solid main patterns giving it a much more journey like feel as opposed to movements, he points out the rhythm also with taps on the body giving a one man band effect. Counterpointing seems to be the big player in this type of music with low movements accented with sweep picking and running up and down the scale. Triads are using in a persistence technique where a chord is played and then offshoots are played giving an illusion the chord is still ringing.
Tempo wise its amazing with full use of rubato (stolen time, means speeding up/slowing down on one bar and compensating on the next) which is one of my all time favourite romantic techniques, one for the feel players anyway.
On the recording (album) there is a lot of percussion which on the live track there are none which gives a stark lone tale of his experience at La Almoraima (a ranch in Spain) were as the record gives a lively bustling place notion.
Musically we have a treat as it has definite mood changes a good use of dynamics and volumetric effect to give the listener a ride rather than a steady pace, in my opinion one of the best examples of emotional music, a modern classic plus a (fairly) new move in flamenco.

I love this blog idea. It's really generous of you to share your knowledge.