Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
default_mainlogo_sm.png

'I'm Not an Anomaly': More Dads Staying Home to Raise Kids
BY JOSH ELLIOT AND ENJOLI FRANCIS

Dec. 13, 2011

Isn't that great?

Some couples have different needs, abilities, capacities inbetween them; I think if all parties are happy it would do much better for the children, rather than conforming to a standard 'men working, women caring' ideal, which while not exactly -bad- the way this is also not -bad-, can be restricting.

And I sincerely don't believe this change in ideal reflects in any way a lesser degree of love / compassion each parent has for their child.

Reactions: #@&5&49 and Gaze
i think this is awesome. if this were more socially acceptable twenty some odd years ago, i think i would not be in therapy, lol.

I love that it seems more fathers are involved with their kids. I can imagine it is very challenging for them to build a support group. One very vital issue to stay at home parents is the ability to find friends, or playgroups. Most playgroups center around SAHMs and many are quick to not allow men into their circle, not b/c they don't want them to... it's just that many SAHMs start developing crushes on Anthony from The Wiggles after awhile (as an example.) They do it out of "damage control" more than anything. Stay at home parents face isolation ... and while some may be able to deal with it, many others cannot and return to work if it is an option ... or just go cuckoo.

I've been a stay at home mother since 2002.

I'd love to be a SAHD, but my wife would also love to be a SAHM. So exactly where does that leave us I wonder?

I'd love to be a SAHD, but my wife would also love to be a SAHM. So exactly where does that leave us I wonder?

take turns getting jorbs? i guess it would mean neither one of you would have a super awesome career that involved working for someone else, but maybe you could start your own bidness and work from home? do somethin' crazy! yeah, i'm kinda in rare form today. don't mind me.

Thank Hashem!!!!!!!! We might actually have the next generation growing up with manners and responsibility, instead of a lost generation of adult children.

There are certainly a lot of adults now who suffer from the lack of male influence in their life because either A) Dad wasn't around after the divorce or B) Dad was either at work or sleeping and didn't have time for me.

I feel really blessed because my dad not only provided for my family growing up (he's an INFJ also oddly enough) but he did a lot of things that I look back on with pride and respect. He was stereotypical in the manner that he expected me to be the best and first at everything but overall I think my dad is probably my biggest influence in life and my own unsung hero.

My uncle is for the most part a SAHD, (he has a a couple low maintenance at home businesses.) I think whatever works is fine. I like the idea of one parent staying home with young children, I know that's not possible in every case but I like it as an ideal.

Reactions: #@&5&49
I prefer traditional gender roles; the husband works, wife manages the domestic. I wish it were possible for the average man to support a family on one income nowadays. Things are absolutely bonkers.

Reactions: Free
I've met several stay at home dads. Not a lot but a few. They all seemed content to stay home and the moms seemed content to be working. I think whatever works for people is the way to go. It's great to see things changing like this. People have more choices and options.

Reactions: Wyote, Free and acd