Money from strangers | INFJ Forum

Money from strangers

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
would you accept a gift of money from a stranger? the following scenarios should help put the notion into context:

1. it's your 25th birthday party. a friend of a friend whom you barely know, and who is currently unemployed, gives you a gift card of 100 dollars. do you take it? the mood of the party is amorous and you know you'd be offending the guest by not taking it.

2. your distant cousin is going through a mid life crisis and is giving all her money away. you think she should be saving it for her retirement, but she is insistent. she gives a portion to all her family members, including you. a stipend of $25 a month. do you accept? you don't really need the money, but it wouldn't hurt either, and everyone else in your family has already accepted.

3. a beggar on the street offers you $10. he wants you to have it, he clasps your hands tight and nods his head that you take it, and then he makes as though he has to leave, so you don't have time to talk about it. yay or nay? he blesses you also, and continually calls you a good person, if only you'd take the money. he seems to have singled you out of the crowd for this.

alternatively, would you send money to strangers (who don't specifically need it)? say there was a famous actor or actress whom you've admired on the screen for years, and one day you have the opportunity to meet them in person. you want to give them something as a sign of your appreciation of their acting skills, but all you have on you are $50 notes. do you give them the money?

sorry for the multiple threads on random philosophical junk, btw. if it's annoying anyone, i'll stop. just let me know.

Personally I enjoy your random threads :)

1. I would take the gift card and give him a big hug. I wouldn't go shopping for a week though to give him time to hint about or change his mind.

2. I would take the $25/month but put it in a separate account just in case my cousin wakes up from the crisis with no money.

3. I would take it from the beggar and tell him he was a blessing to me.

Personally I enjoy your random threads :)

1. I would take the gift card and give him a big hug. I wouldn't go shopping for a week though to give him time to hint about or change his mind.

2. I would take the $25/month but put it in a separate account just in case my cousin wakes up from the crisis with no money.

3. I would take it from the beggar and tell him he was a blessing to me.

aw thanks sumone
happy.gif
and i liked your answers. especially the last one, how sweet!

1. I'd probably ask why this person is being so generous after having just lost their job. I'd try to be tactful about it, but I'd just have to know. I'd probably accept it and regift it back to them for Christmas. And hope they don't remember.

2. Sumone's answer to this is how I would respond.

3. I would think this beggar was mentally unstable and have a police man tackle him to the ground. No. But I would think they were unstable. I'd probably accept the money only because I'd be too dumbfounded to do anything else. Maybe give it to a street musician as I move on.

What an awesome thread, May. :D

yes, to all, most likely, not because I'm greedy, or too generous in the last case, but because giving is an exchange of energy, as well as the physical object that symbolizes it. It's part of the flow of life, and receiving is the balance of this. I've come to trust that if I receive too much in one instance, it will later be balanced out, and similarly if I give too much in one instance, my needs will be met from another direction, so long as I allow that. Law of Attraction? Absolutely! Mumbo Jumbo - hah - only if you haven't figured it out yet. :)

Truth is I've felt, and have been incrediby generous lately, and in reality I haven't lost anything.

Last edited:
Just as gracious and generous giving is rare, gracious and appreciative receiving is also rare.

Take and give.

1. I wouldn't want to take it, but since it's already purchased (and probably nonrefundable) and I could hurt him, I'd take it. Feeling like he's capable of helping someone else could be more important to him than money.

2. $25 a month? I'd actually find that really annoying, but I'd save the money for her in case she ends up rethinking her choice. If she didn't after a reasonable length of time, I'd spend it ... maybe on a gift for her.

3. I'd think he might be delusional and later end up regretting that decision, so I'd accept the money and then slip it back into his pocket without him noticing.

(4.) I wouldn't give a celebrity cash ... what does my $$$ mean to them?? It would be better spent supporting their work. But if I want to show them I care / make them smile, I'd give them a gift. If I can't give a gift, I'd give kind words and a smile.

Money doesn't really take a high priority for me.

To me all these situations are formality vs informality.

In all instances I would insist they keep the money, but if they are obviously becoming upset with my refusal I would take it. Basically I would do whatever I could to keep things on good terms and end the interaction as quickly as possible.

As for giving money as a sign of affection, I really don't do that. I just can't symbolize money with affection, my head doesn't work that way. To me it is similar to handing them a bag of peanuts or something, lol.

1. it's your 25th birthday party. a friend of a friend whom you barely know, and who is currently unemployed, gives you a gift card of 100 dollars. do you take it? the mood of the party is amorous and you know you'd be offending the guest by not taking it.

yes, though I would probably hold on to it as opposed to spend, in cse they asked for it back.

2. your distant cousin is going through a mid life crisis and is giving all her money away. you think she should be saving it for her retirement, but she is insistent. she gives a portion to all her family members, including you. a stipend of $25 a month. do you accept? you don't really need the money, but it wouldn't hurt either, and everyone else in your family has already accepted.

Some thing like the last response, hold on to the xash till she calms down. Then give it back to her, otherwise she would just give it to some one else.

3. a beggar on the street offers you $10. he wants you to have it, he clasps your hands tight and nods his head that you take it, and then he makes as though he has to leave, so you don't have time to talk about it. yay or nay? he blesses you also, and continually calls you a good person, if only you'd take the money. he seems to have singled you out of the crowd for this.

yep, i'd take it.

alternatively, would you send money to strangers (who don't specifically need it)? say there was a famous actor or actress whom you've admired on the screen for years, and one day you have the opportunity to meet them in person. you want to give them something as a sign of your appreciation of their acting skills, but all you have on you are $50 notes. do you give them the money?

I generaly give money to those who need it, gifts to those whom I admire.