Mistyping due to early experiences | INFJ Forum

Mistyping due to early experiences

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Trying to figure out type is not easy sometimes, because early experiences may have shaped us into personalities quite different from our natural preferences. I'm curious about ways you think your natural type was hidden or not easily identifiable because of experiences you've had growing up.

For example, my personality as a child was quiet, reserved, sensitive, cautious, fearful, and negative. But what may've seem like a negative was just me being critical or analytical, in other words bring up the P side by suggesting "What ifs?". When you are not at your best, I think it's more difficult to know what you are truly like. It depends on the people you interact with and how they respond to it.

Another example, when I was in school, it was always about raising your hands to give the right answer, and I definitely wanted to be seen as having the right answer. :D But today, I realise I tend to prefer discussion and verbal reasoning through thoughts and ideas. It's not black and white as it once was, which is probably that P part of me propping up again, rather than the J decisiveness which was valued early on. I think this is why I've probably thought I was a T or J in the past because that is how we were socialized to think in school early on. When as an INFP, the spontaneous associations which arise when the NFP are interacting in the moment are fulfilling. You're able to entertain and engage ideas and thoughts others may too quickly or easily throw away.

As a child, I smiled a lot. I was sensitive, imaginative, and very cuddly. Seemingly, I didn't fit the NT stereotype of an emotionally distant child. As an adult, I am still seen as "sweet" but this is just a shy persona. Although I have a general affection for most people, I quickly forget about people's feelings (including my own) when there is a problem to be solved.

I agree with Jung that the personality sits behind the persona, and people can sometimes mistake themselves for their mask.

Reactions: Gaze
As a child, I smiled a lot. I was sensitive, imaginative, and very cuddly. Seemingly, I didn't fit the NT stereotype of an emotionally distant child. As an adult, I am still seen as "sweet" but this is just a shy persona. Although I have a general affection for most people, I quickly forget about people's feelings (including my own) when there is a problem to be solved.

Yeah, Ts are often stereotyped as distance or unemotional or lacking sensitivity, which is not true. They just display it differently or only in particular situations. All types have the capacity for various emotions or expressions of those emotions. Sometimes, it just depends on the circumstance or situation. For example, when I have a task to complete, it's counterproductive for me to focus on feelings as well. I'm less effective when I have to worry about someone's feelings about something, especially at work. Outside of work, I don't mind talking and listening and discussing their feelings or experiences. I just don't want to have to think about it too much when I'm doing my job because it may affect my objectivity.

Type usually comes out when you are pursuing your own personal interests where the persona, hopefully, doesn't come into play. For example, I do mathematical physics in my spare time. I find problem solving to be very stimulating, and, when I choose to read biographies for my own pleasure, they are almost always about NT's.

As a little kid, I was very sensitive and just wanted everybody to get along. I could have easily been confused for an ISFJ.

Nowadays, I'm fun and bouncy, so ISTJ might seem crazy at first glance. But no type fits me as well as ISTJ, in truth. Si-Te is just right. I've additionally been positively influenced by my quirky friends. I now say I used to suffer from an "excessive amount of boring-ness".

I'm involved in research on this in relation to Jungian theory. It seems it is one factor that is ignored in testing.

I was always raised to be the opposite of what an INFP is.
I think it only reinforced those godawful traits of being sensitive and idealistic.

When as an INFP, the spontaneous associations which arise when the NFP are interacting in the moment are fulfilling. You're able to entertain and engage ideas and thoughts others may too quickly or easily throw away.
I may be INFP. I entertain and engage in other people's ideas and tangents almost instantaneously.
Do you raise your eyebrows a lot when you're talking while thinking? Do you pause before your next thought?

If I am understanding the OP correctly, I might really have been born an E but I was raised to fear strangers (my mothers way to keep me from getting kidnapped) so I grew up to be shy. I accepted shyness my whole life and I find making the first move to be a daunting task in some scenarios.

I may be INFP. I entertain and engage in other people's ideas and tangents almost instantaneously.
Do you raise your eyebrows a lot when you're talking while thinking? Do you pause before your next thought?

I am very facially expressive when I'm engaging in thought or intellectually, especially when I'm really interested in something. I immediately consider or have an opinion or thought about what someone says as soon as they say it. It makes me instaneously connect it to something I've heard, read about, or experienced before.

If I am understanding the OP correctly, I might really have been born an E but I was raised to fear strangers (my mothers way to keep me from getting kidnapped) so I grew up to be shy. I accepted shyness my whole life and I find making the first move to be a daunting task in some scenarios.

I think this is possible. I was wondering if I was E myself but a low E because of my early experiences being teased. Those experiences could've lead to my shyness or reserved persona, which may not be as natural as I suspect. I like to talk to people or issues or topics, but people's responses in the past have sometimes been a bit negative or distant so I learned to hold back quite a bit. I hold back a lot. Maybe I'm really an ENFP who's suppressed my E because of these experiences. I don't know. Maybe what I thought were natural traits or preferences were learned. This is why I think the tests results from MBTI tests are not always accurate because our responses are based on who we think we are, not necessarily our true selves or preferences.

Reactions: endersgone