[PUG] Michelle Obama is a bully

Quinlan

Right the First Time!
Jun 12, 2008
MBTI
ISFP
Or at least she encourages them and gives them plenty of fodder:

The first lady would be horrified by the idea that her Let

It is unfair to pick on fat people in general, but most child obesity is the result of child negligence. Child negligence is a crime.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnRT4ZhwWVg"]YouTube - Bully gets owned by big kid + DJ Tiësto - C'mon Remix! [MUST WATCH][/ame]

Reactions: Jungian Trip
What I found even worse is her idea that fat kids are to blame for a bad economy and people losing their jobs:

Disgusting.

Ehm, blame? Why are you adding to the meaning of the text?

The text is talking about the consequences of child obesity. If one is dissatisfied with the consequences thereof, the next logical step is to address the causes of child obesity. Negligence? Poverty? Ignorance? Disease? Etc.

Or you can ignore that this has any consequences, but that is akin to ignoring that there is a problem. All of this can be done without laughing at a child or telling them they are worthless. They are not worthless, which is precisely why it is sad to see them in a predicament where they are imprisoned in their own bodies and being teased about it, too.

If anything, my only criticism of the text is that it only focuses on people's economic value. It treats people like a source of income (which they are, because they pay taxes and invest in the economy) and therefore like a resource - like numbers. But this limits perspective to such an extent that it becomes easy to devalue anyone who is not economically valuable. This attitude can create disgusting behaviour.

Agapooka

Reactions: Gaze
It is unfair to pick on fat people in general, but most child obesity is the result of child negligence.

Source please.

Reactions: Stu
What's wrong with people getting into shape? and healthy?

Source please.

of course it is not "child endangerment" mainly because in a free society we are free to abuse our kids as much as we want to. But (and you know this) children need parents who will teach them how to set limits.

What's wrong with people getting into shape? and healthy?

What's wrong is that interventions just like Obama's have been trialed over and over again with NO SUCCESS in weight loss outcomes, they are always dramatic failures, when Obama's intervention inevitably fails do you really think Obama or the intervention, or the nutrition guidelines will get the blame? Not a chance, as always the failure of the intervention will be blamed squarely on the fat person (in this case fat kids) as is always done.

What's wrong is that interventions just like Obama's have been trialed over and over again with NO SUCCESS in weight loss outcomes, they are always dramatic failures, when Obama's intervention inevitably fails do you really think Obama or the intervention, or the nutrition guidelines will get the blame? Not a chance, as always the failure of the intervention will be blamed squarely on the fat person (in this case fat kids) as is always done.

Well, I don't know. I think the best thing to do would be to better educate children on nutrition and exercise instead of creating limits.

Calling Michelle a bully is a bit excessive and I believe it does not do her justice. She's simply promoting a cause, a tricky one at that which is difficult to handle.

She can't sit and do nothing about it, as obesity is a problem. Many health risks are associated with it. Kids need to be encouraged to be more active and have healthier lifestyles. In a way is a slap to many in the American public. But what can she otherwise do?.

Reactions: Gaze
Calling Michelle a bully is a bit excessive and I believe it does not do her justice. She's simply promoting a cause, a tricky one at that which is difficult to handle.

She can't sit and do nothing about it, as obesity is a problem. Many health risks are associated with it. Kids need to be encouraged to be more active and have healthier lifestyles. In a way is a slap to many in the American public. But what can she otherwise do? .

Drop the focus on "eradicating" obesity and shift to healthier lifestyles for all kids, not just the fat ones.

of course it is not "child endangerment" mainly because in a free society we are free to abuse our kids as much as we want to. But (and you know this) children need parents who will teach them how to set limits.

Still waiting for evidence that childhood obesity is the result of negligence. The fact is kids with the most restrictive (in regards to food) parents are the ones most likely to grow up overweight and with disordered eating.

I'm going to side with Quinlan on this one, even if she's not trying to Mrs. Obama is coming off very antagonistically.

She's basically said that obese children are causing you to lose money. Word that however you want, it's still cruel.

I'm going to side with Quinlan on this one, even if she's not trying to Mrs. Obama is coming off very antagonistically.

She's basically said that obese children are causing you to lose money. Word that however you want, it's still cruel.

Well maybe not children but fat people are putting a major strain on the medical system, which I'm sure makes "free health care" a harder proposition.

Well maybe not children but fat people are putting a major strain on the medical system, which I'm sure makes "free health care" a harder proposition.

Free health care is a hard proposition because people want it without paying for it in some manner.

The problem is that obesity is a matter of social class. People who depend on food stamps and the like are generally subjected to eating food containing high quantities of sodium, which causes obesity and heart problems. It is not merely a matter of exercise. Exercise is good, of course, but what really matters is what you eat, and what you eat is determined by your access to quality food, which is determined by your parent's income.

It has been demonstrated in studies, if i remember correctly, that exercise is good for maintaining healthy body weight but not necessarily losing a significant amount of weight. By blaming children who are not receiving appropriate food for their inactivity, yes you are bullying them by creating a new layer of stigma against them without really addressing the issue.

If we really want to eliminate obesity, we need to put sodium restrictions on food and alter government subsidization of foods. Most subsides go to corn and meat, and almost none go to vegetables/legumes. That is the real problem.

Perhaps the message has not been received in a very positive way (albeit it's difficult to).... But... I find it difficult that a person in this position could have any form of sinister intentions that amount to her being a "bully".

Perhaps the message has not been received in a very positive way (albeit it's difficult to).... But... I find it difficult that a person in this position could have any form of sinister intentions that amount to her being a "bully".

Exactly. The message no matter how you sugarcoated, is going to sound offensive.

Michelle has been actively campaigning against bullying. That's been one of her focuses. She really did not meant for this to be "hurtful".

Well who else is to blame for fat people being fat? Government conspiracy? Skinny people magazines? Being fat rests on factors that have to do with you and you only so when someone tries to help and there is no progress, the blame rightfully goes on you. The same thing would be said about school work. If you help the kids who are behind excessively and the make no or negative progress, the fault is theirs, not yours.

Don't play the blame game. People are fat because of poor diet, lack of exercise and stress. I really don't see any part of this that people don't have a choice in. If you're trying to do something about it, I congratulate you but not making an effort and then complaining about how people are mean is not something I take much sympathy for. I'm sorry, but this is one subject where I draw a line with my sympathies.

Reactions: This