Mental toughness | INFJ Forum

Mental toughness

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Mental toughness as a quality is a highly valued trait, in high demand. It's considered essential to success at high levels in many fields. It's also not considered a feeler or NF quality.

How would you define mental toughness? What do you make of mental toughness as a psychological quality or trait? Do you think some types have less or more of this quality? Do you think it's essential to success?

Mental Toughness is.. the ability to handle mental pressure well-- both in holding on, and in solving the problems. Both in seizing the opportunity, and handling it gracefully.

The part about the toughness is that there are certainly different areas of toughness within person. And therefore, people have different amount of toughness. I can see how some types have more of this particular trait than others, but then again, it -may- be different in regards to the areas. Not to mention the different aspects of them...

For instance, SF generally hold their burdens pretty well, followed by NFs; but as far as taking them off, we're quite bad on that aspect.

Talking about 'fields', then we're most likely talking about mental toughness in working; dealing with deadlines, tasks, demands, and other technical problems. In this particular aspect, then yes; we are far below. I think the strongest types would be the STs, followed closely by NTs.
But there are other things.
Personal observations-- dealing with our own ugliness. To take the burdens and learn about what they talk about us. In these parts, NF wins by far; followed closely by NTs.
There are also a parts related, in regards to dealing with other people-- shrewdness, ruthlessness; accompanied by grace, elegance, wit. NTs probably top this one, followed by NFs.

I sort of ambivalent about this, but in some ways logic and rationality is also a sign of this aspect; so NTs, followed by STs, would do well.

As a quality, it shows how well they can perform under pressure. "Well" can mean many things-- graceful or quick? Offensive, or defensive? Effective, or efficient? Hits as much target as possible, or cost the least? Pleases the most people, or done the most for the community as a whole?
As a trait, it implies other things; how well they think, for instance. Probably draw some picture about their attitude and behavior (for instance, I got a vibe that they are probably more aggressive than others), but it might not be that often.

As a requirement for success; if we define success as work / career success; then yes, it is. If we define the path to success as filled with conflicts, then yes; it is.

I think most anyone can develop this trait.. Even feelers.
I think it is a combination of perseverance and resourcefulness.

Reactions: Trifoilum
In addition to what [MENTION=2172]Trifoilum[/MENTION] stated, mental toughness can also be about identifying if you need to separate work from your personal life/thoughts/ethics/feelings. I see this often in my volunteer work. Some volunteers can get very close to the child with whom they are advocating, and even though they also carry these feelings personally, it only strengthens their vision to help the child. I on the other hand, do not get emotionally close to my wards as I like to remain detached. What it DOES do for me is strengthen my bonds with my own children.

Mental toughness as a quality is a highly valued trait, in high demand. It's considered essential to success at high levels in many fields. It's also not considered a feeler or NF quality.

How would you define mental toughness? What do you make of mental toughness as a psychological quality or trait? Do you think some types have less or more of this quality? Do you think it's essential to success?

Mental toughness? I would say it is probably the ability to create and use successful/positive coping skills more often than negative coping skills.

As a quality or trait? It is a skill. One that you develop and nourish throughout your life. I don't deny that some people are at a distinct advantage if they come from a background where successful coping skills are demonstrated on a regular basis than those who do not.

Type sensitive? I think that each type will gravitate toward a specific type of coping skill over another. Like perhaps an NF or SF would want to get validation and/or work through their feelings--express their feelings. An NT or ST might want to think about and analyze their feelings rather than express them. That is what makes the type system a way to understand your actions. It tells you what you are "more" inclined to do.

Success? Any coping skill has the potential to be negative or positive or a combination of the two. You have to bring things full circle and complete the process in order to have a successful coping skill. Just endlessly talking about problems or thinking about them doesn't solve crap. In order to be successful in how you deal with others, you have to make conscious decisions on how you behave and solve problems in life.

Last edited:
I think being mentally tough has more to do with your upbringing than your type. Unless type is a result of your upbringing, then there is no correlation between type and mental toughness.

I think being mentally tough has more to do with your upbringing than your type. Unless type is a result of your upbringing, then there is no correlation between type and mental toughness.

I'm apt to agree. I think it has more to do with what someone has experienced or had to deal with in their lives and how they've trained themselves to cope with these situations or circumstances that creates mental toughness. I've seen sensitive people handle the most difficult crises with calm and the most tough people crumble in those same circumstances. But as @Stormy1 said, each person learns to cope in their own way. And I also think it's situational. Someone may be able to handle one situation very well but have difficulty with another situation.

i have to say that i don't feel that mental toughness is a trait at all
i think it's a learned behavior.
i am very much infj look it up my picture is probably there, but i am tougher than most everyone i meet. this was a necessary defense mechanism, not something i necessarily admire about myself.

actually, there are so many times that i wish i could be less tough-minded but that ship sailed many decades ago lol

I didn't know that the ability to cope is not considered a F thing. I hadn't even made the correlation with type. It just seemed like something that some individuals lack.

And it's just that, I think. How you cope with the pressures of life. Some people break down, some people express it in shitty and unstable ways, some folks can communicate and deal, and then some just stuff it all behind a wall of toughness. Someone's outward appearance or behavior may simply belie what they're dealing with internally. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this.

Reactions: Nixie