Mental Imagery and Relaxation | INFJ Forum

Mental Imagery and Relaxation

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What images come to mind when you want to calm or relax your mind and thoughts?

What kinds of images, worlds, or pictures do you create in your imagination to help you relax?

Reactions: Free Mind
Gentle rushing rivers, warm sun, soft breeze and rustling trees

Reactions: Gaze
Transforming into something that can fly and soaring off into the skies. I can get so absorbed in these imaginings, it's so amazing. ^^ Life can just seem to fade away but I am still clearly grounded. A song can sometimes be playing in my mind whilst soaring through the sky also, but mainly the beautiful sounds that nature provides in each of these environments fulfills the sound department. It's just like having another world I can jump into when I wish and it's just as real as everything I see before me right now. I've been adding to this other world for quite some time, so there is a lot to do and new areas are coming in for me to explore every minute. :)

I imagine a symmetric glass bowl, an impossibly symmetric bowl. Every smooth, minimalistic curve exactly like every other, and the water sitting in there so still and peaceful.
Glass-Bowl.jpg

Something about it, the unity of it all.

Depends on my mood... like(a few examples):
- a golden summerfield, you feel the warmth of the sun on your skin and hear cicadas in the background
- a green tranquil forest, where the sun shines through the trees
- the beach, the palms moving softly to the wind, you can hear the waves, the sand feels very smooth and you feel a nice breeze
- a rainy day in autumn
- the desert with it's blue almost cloudless sky
- the endless space is one of my favorites spots for relaxing =)

But there are a lot more places for my mind to visit. Also I'm always alone in my mind, there are no other people. So it's always calm and quiet :)

Sitting alone on a beach viewing a golden burnt sunset

A droplet of water, echoing calmly.

But really, it differs on how I felt. It can be like drowning, or standing in an open prairie, or -- anything.

And let's not talk about mental imagery. I am beginning to shape a mental world with inhabitants (who are mostly 'representatives' of certain attributes) here. XD

*A freshly poured cup of green tea steaming from a tea cup.
*A beach I once visited in Kauai when I was about 13.
*Sitting in silence watching the little things, (a beetle walking along the carpet, a scrap of paper blowing subtly in the wind, etc.)

I have absolutely no idea. I close my eyes, my mind drifts. I don't watch it drift. It does. Daydreaming also is a concept I don't understand at all.

A good, steady rain in a meadow

I picture myself on fire screaming. represents my expressive nature and my burning desire to be free.

I imagine breathing into different parts of my body. Like I'll start with my heart and see energy streaming into my heart as I breathe slowly in. As I let it out I imagine white light beginning to coalesce around my heart. Then I move on to other parts of body that are tense or hurting like my knee is right now from going for a long walk/jog. I'm getting pretty good at letting my awareness just roam around in my body as it wants. The body starts unwinding, bit by bit.

I used to use a detailed visualization as my "safe place" to go to in my mind when I would get anxious. It consisted of a big white rock at the edge of a field of grass. I saw myself sitting on the grass and leaning back against the rock. The sun was shining and I could feel it on my skin. The temperature was cool and there was a slight breeze. There is a horse cropping grass off to one side and I can hear him munching and stamping his feet once in a while as a bug flies nearby.
Yep. That's my happy safe place.