Media honesty | INFJ Forum

Media honesty

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Sometimes Yeah, Sep 5, 2020.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
More threads by Sometimes Yeah
  1. Sometimes Yeah

    Sometimes Yeah Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2020
    Threads:
    11
    Messages:
    221
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    634
    Trophy Points:
    837
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Intj
    If one has a theory, is it more honest to look for evidence to prove one's own theory correct, or to look for evidence to prove one's own theory incorrect?

    I think part of the problem with media credibility is the sense that they seek to prove their own narratives, while providing coverage/evidence which could easily disprove their thesis. An example might be assertions that protests are peaceful, even while showing burning, looted buildings in the background.
     
    Reason, Kgal and Tango India Mike like this.
  2. Pin

    Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    10,635
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    41,007
    Trophy Points:
    3,101
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    Most media is driven by profit and a few corporations own all of the major networks and subsidiaries. Thus, ratings, clicks, and drama are more important than truth.

    It's a Mediaopoly.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mintoots, Maikl Jexocuha and Reason like this.
  3. OP
    Sometimes Yeah

    Sometimes Yeah Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2020
    Threads:
    11
    Messages:
    221
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    634
    Trophy Points:
    837
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Intj
    If they're trying to compete with sitcoms, dramas, or other genres of entertainment, they'll fail. Ultimately, news media's foundation has to be factual integrity. The style in which it is presented can be quite varied. For example, one news broadcast here presents very rigorously checked news, but the presenters are jovial and one commentator drinks and reviews different varieties of scotch while discussing the day's politics.
     
    Reason, Tango India Mike and Pin like this.
  4. Pin

    Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    10,635
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    41,007
    Trophy Points:
    3,101
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    It should be factual integrity but in the United States its almost completely profit driven.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Reason and Wyote like this.
  5. JustPhil

    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2019
    Threads:
    13
    Messages:
    546
    Featured Threads:
    10
    Likes Received:
    2,576
    Trophy Points:
    1,112
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    AU
    MBTI:
    INFX
    media .. honesty .. singularly they have meaning but together they do not compute!

    upload_2020-9-5_16-40-42.png
     
    Maikl Jexocuha, Reason and Wyote like this.
  6. Tango India Mike

    Tango India Mike Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2020
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    232
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    What is their end game? It seems the big tech, and news and social media industries have a largely far-left bias. I understand why they would use hyperpolarizing topics and fear to get more views but it only leans one way for the most part.
     
    Reason and Pin like this.
  7. Pin

    Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    10,635
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    41,007
    Trophy Points:
    3,101
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    Ha! Mark Zuckerberg is totally a communist.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Tango India Mike

    Tango India Mike Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2020
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    232
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I don't know when this happened but the democrat party is now the party of the rich in America because most of the highest earners are democrat.
     
    Reason and Pin like this.
  9. Pin

    Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    10,635
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    41,007
    Trophy Points:
    3,101
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    In terms of policy, the Democrat and Republican parties both serve the interests of the wealthy, the Republicans even more so.

    In the past 20 years Republican tax cuts were largely for the wealthy.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mintoots, Reason and Tango India Mike like this.
  10. Tango India Mike

    Tango India Mike Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2020
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    232
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Maybe my perception is highly skewed because I do come from California and most people in power are democrats. I really don't know what the republican party is like, to be honest.
     
    Reason and Pin like this.
  11. Pin

    Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    10,635
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    41,007
    Trophy Points:
    3,101
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    An evangelical pro-corporate Trump-worshipping death-cult.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Maikl Jexocuha likes this.
  12. Tango India Mike

    Tango India Mike Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2020
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    232
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I thought we were aiming for an intellectual conversation? You can't expect me to take you seriously if you use ad hominem and a strawman. I'm ignorant but not that ignorant.
     
    Reason and Pin like this.
  13. Pin

    Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    10,635
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    41,007
    Trophy Points:
    3,101
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    Not every Republican fits that description.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Maikl Jexocuha and Reason like this.
  14. Tango India Mike

    Tango India Mike Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2020
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    232
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Thank you for attempting to be more understanding with different opinions. I am not part of the republican party myself but I seek to find as much common ground with everyone as possible.
     
    Reason likes this.
  15. OP
    Sometimes Yeah

    Sometimes Yeah Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2020
    Threads:
    11
    Messages:
    221
    Featured Threads:
    4
    Likes Received:
    634
    Trophy Points:
    837
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Intj
    The far left is more dramatic and click-baitey. Imagine a simple report of two individuals who had some argument, and one was shot. Fairly boring, for news. BUT, just add a bit of hyperbole and leftist narrative, and it's view generating rage-bait: a white man shot an innocent black man, adding to worries about white supremacism in America.
     
    Reason and Tango India Mike like this.
  16. Roses In The Vineyard

    Roses In The Vineyard Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2018
    Threads:
    16
    Messages:
    789
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1,986
    Trophy Points:
    688
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I look forward to when the chickens finally come home to roost and what a day it will be as the toxic msm won't be around for eternity especially when they have to face the music in the hell they've been creating for themselves.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pin, Reason and Tango India Mike like this.
  17. Tango India Mike

    Tango India Mike Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2020
    Threads:
    4
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    232
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Who do you usually get your news from? I usually get it from Tim Pool on YouTube, The Daily Wire, and the LA Times. So it ranges from mostly moderately progressive, conservative, then left to far left.
     
    Reason likes this.
  18. Kgal

    Kgal Magic Star Dust
    Site Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2010
    Threads:
    77
    Messages:
    11,473
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    6,703
    Trophy Points:
    1,215
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Texasssss.
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9 Mediator
    Ahhh the media is a tricksy phenomenon isn't it? All that constant fear mongering....
    I have found over the last 8 years that I can find evidence For...and Against my current theory in any given moment. In the last couple of years I have discovered when choosing which to believe....its like picking up a coin. You can't have one side without the other.
    Like others have brought out here the media is owned and basically run by a few guys waaaayyyy at the top....and they play both sides continuously because it's a win win for them.

    I quit watching mainstream TV back in the early 90's and only watched movies once a month or so for many years afterward. I have even stopped that now because they don't interest me anymore. I'm guessing since I am not brainwashed in the current ways of TV programming the occasional times I am subjected to mainstream TV news or otherwise I am astonished at seeing the manipulation and lies. Is it because I believe other than the main narrative. Not necessarily. It's because I can tune out the sound and see the people lying...the subliminal suggestions from the color schemes....the people on screen....their fake positions...etc.

    May I suggest you seek others who share their direct experiences such as forums like this and other social groups who are open to the underlying beliefs for your theories?

    Another thing to note is the fact the truths we were taught in school are being disproved again and again as humanity's level of conscious awareness expands through the internet of ideas. Including so called facts of science and research. I'm a 64 year old with college degrees in chemical engineering and social work. To my amazement these days.... "the facts" are constantly being challenged and proven wrong now....almost monthly. That old axiom "Things Change" should really be stated: "Things are always IN the process of Changing". heh heh.... These are wondrous times indeed.

    Don't be afraid to try on others' ideas. See how they feel inside your body. This lets your Intuition expand and play its important role for you in discovering your truths True for you. If you become afraid....then move away. Lies are based on Fear.
    Each and everyone of us see but a facet of the total....and who BUT You can really know what's good for you?
    Good luck on your quest to develop your discernment and intuition. They are integral to your Mastery.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Maikl Jexocuha, Wyote, Reason and 2 others like this.
  19. Reason

    Reason Mostly Peaceful

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2017
    Threads:
    54
    Messages:
    6,052
    Featured Threads:
    37
    Likes Received:
    37,336
    Trophy Points:
    3,462
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    The Roaring 20s
    MBTI:
    INTP
    This post is awesome :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Kgal and Wyote like this.
  20. Pin

    Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Threads:
    22
    Messages:
    10,635
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    41,007
    Trophy Points:
    3,101
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    Does America even have a far-left with any tangible influence? The Democrats are by-and-large milquetoast.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Kgal and acd like this.
Loading...

Share This Page