MBTI types | INFJ Forum

MBTI types

Sunnyshine

Dec 22, 2018
Norway
MBTI
INFJ
Hi.

For those of you who are interested in MBTI, have you noticed what MBTI types who is the most interested in MBTI and the type they are?

I have been thinking a lot about this because I have always wondered why I do not have so much in common with a few types (?) of people and a lot of the conversations is so boring (especially in lunch break with some colleagues). I do not talk about MBTI to everyone, but only with my closest friends. I don’t want to judge or think like «he must be that type, that’s Why We don’t have much to talk about».

I have found out that I have so many interesting talk and conversation with people who has a diplomat personality type. The ones I know love personal development and they think that MBTI is interesting - We can have a lot of deep conversations.

I know a few people who is analyst (INTP and ENTP) and they had already taken the test before we even talked about that. But they are critical to the result, but they think it is very interesting. We have a lot of good and interesting discussions.

I know a few people i sentinels (many ISFJ) and explorers (my family and some friends took the test) but they only thought it was cool, but not that interesting.

Have anyone experienced the same as me?

Disclaimer: Big fat generalization.

NFs will be interested in the MBTI and will embrace it.
NTs will be interested in it but will be sceptical.
SPs and SJs will pay it little mind.

Fi users will be more hesitant to accept the MBTI at first than Fe users, as they don't like to be put in a box.

Ti users will be more inclined to study the MBTI in depth than Te users, as they want understanding for its own sake.

The MBTI will appeal more to Intuitives than Sensors as it is a theoretical framework.
Interest in theory and abstraction versus practicality and concreteness sets intuitives apart from sensors by definition, so that naturally follows.

Adding to the above:

It depends on how the perceiver perceives the perceived and judges it.

A little more detailed snack:
If a sensor notices practical use of the MBTI, they will most likely take a more interested look at it. But as it is, they rarely do. It applies mostly to Si-users, who are generally interested when confronted with evidence of their behaviour in that framework, but they need a person who is willing to bring it to their attention (Fe-user, like ISFJ - ISTJs have interest enough to take the test when prompted, but don't see the merit in it due to Ni in 8th, unless they wonder why someone else might have interest in it, e.g. their SO). For them it needs to be put into a parseable format. Se-users, on the other hand, will be less likely to embrace that system unless their Ni and/or Ti is properly developed, which it rarely is, depending on type and level of interest. For example, an Fe tertiary Se-user will be more likely to misuse the system because they are next to least likely to study how it really works - Se-doms in general are just too impatient to put in the work and effort.

There could be an explanation for any given type, but all would be highly generalised and prone to having exceptions.

LOL, I guess the higher the Fe in intuitives, the more we like to put labels on ourselves as short cuts and little reminders. :smile:

Creating a conceptual identity that's independent of the past, labels might be accumulated (or tried on and discarded) as a creative process, which is not exclusive to MBTI or even other personality typing systems.
There is a certain allure to intuitives in systems that explain the world and anything in it from a higher, perhaps even holistic point of view, no matter how irrational (even this irrationality can be explained rationally imo) it seems on the surface.

Some people are always looking for answers for why the world is the way it is and same for the people in it, as for little boxes I agree that it falls short by making simple of complicated personalities. Great place to start but it was never be all end all.

Reactions: Ginny and John K
Wow, this is interesting! I don’t want to put labels on people, this is more about my own Learning. Before I ever knew what MBTI was I could sometimes feel like a outsider because I didn’t have any deep realtionship with anyone - it could feel so superficial. I remember when I meet a friend of mine, we connected so deep that I have never done with anyone before. I also feel that I’m always positive and want people to have a good life, but I rarly see that most people feel the same to others. I work in finance business, I feel so many people are so cold and stiff. I don’t like that since I feel like a outsider and I feel I need to be someone else then I am. I want a job where I can help people and work with care. I have always wondered why I connect on a deeper level with a few people, and with most people it’s more superficial

Another friend of mine don’t like MBTI because she don’t like to put people in boxes. She don’t even believe in introvert and extrovert. When we talked about this it was because a friend of us, ENTP, who I meet and he started talking about MBTI. I thought it was so interesting that he was interested in that. But it’s totally fine that she don’t believe in MBTI, I don’t want to talk about this with people who is not interested. I don’t know her MBTI but I think this is why we never have connected on a deeper level, it’s more a friendship with drama, boyfriend drama and so on. I hate drama, but my friends always come to me for advice

I think I’m weird, but this make my heart pump because it’s interesting!!!!

Reactions: Ginny and John K
Wow, this is interesting! I don’t want to put labels on people, this is more about my own Learning. Before I ever knew what MBTI was I could sometimes feel like a outsider because I didn’t have any deep realtionship with anyone - it could feel so superficial. I remember when I meet a friend of mine, we connected so deep that I have never done with anyone before. I also feel that I’m always positive and want people to have a good life, but I rarly see that most people feel the same to others. I work in finance business, I feel so many people are so cold and stiff. I don’t like that since I feel like a outsider and I feel I need to be someone else then I am. I want a job where I can help people and work with care. I have always wondered why I connect on a deeper level with a few people, and with most people it’s more superficial

Another friend of mine don’t like MBTI because she don’t like to put people in boxes. She don’t even believe in introvert and extrovert. When we talked about this it was because a friend of us, ENTP, who I meet and he started talking about MBTI. I thought it was so interesting that he was interested in that. But it’s totally fine that she don’t believe in MBTI, I don’t want to talk about this with people who is not interested. I don’t know her MBTI but I think this is why we never have connected on a deeper level, it’s more a friendship with drama, boyfriend drama and so on. I hate drama, but my friends always come to me for advice

I think I’m weird, but this make my heart pump because it’s interesting!!!!

Weird is good!! Particularly in this forum ......

Some rambling - a little wander around my Ni :)

I like playing with concepts which is why I like mbti. I think it is too easy, though, to confuse a conceptual model like this with the reality it is modelling. It is a very simplified view of the human psyche and offers just one perspective on it - I don't think its creator had any intention otherwise. What is its value? For me, it gives us a vocabulary to talk in structured concepts about how our conscious minds work in a way that would be very difficult otherwise. It describes different ways in which our minds operate and provides a viewing glass that helps us see how each of us have preferences that differ in how we use these ways. It can help us individually to see how we fit into the social contexts around us, and offers some insight into why we experience those social contexts in the way we do. It can actually help us to find social contexts that give us a feeling of belonging - such as the Forum here for some INFJs and other types who like that kind of social environment.

There are other models, such as the Enneagram, which do the same sort of thing, but they model different aspects. They overlap with each other but aren't simple alternatives - they give different but valid insights. They are probably all flawed in some way or another as well as all accurate in their own ways - meaning they can be misleading.

One of the main reservations I have about mbti is that it does tend to push people into digitising the functions - personally, I don't feel that our minds work quite that way, and that there is a continuous spectrum between the functions in reality. The digitisation is simply a feature of the simplification and vocabularisation that goes into such a model. I don't mean that they are not separate constellations within our minds but it seems to me that they don't have hard edged boundaries in reality.

Reactions: Ginny