MBTI, Step II

arbygil

Passing through
Nov 29, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I took the official MBTI Step II the other day, under a certified CAPT administrator, and it was enjoyable! I pretty much landed the way I expected with INFJ -- emphasis on IN, slight F, moderate J; it's how I've tested before in the past and I was very honest on this one as well. But the Step II MBTI allows for a bit more "wiggle room," as it allows for gradients of preference via horizontal bar graphs. I liked it, personally, and I was also able to speak to someone about my results. He didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, although he was surprised that I didn't have as strong a preference for judging. But then, I guess he was also surprised that I was still single and I didn't have a family of my own(!) so there were pros and cons with speaking with a seasoned vet.

In any case, it was an excellent, deep report that allowed you to look into why you do the things you do, and how that affects life outcomes (to a point). In certain areas I was definitely "out of preference" with my other INFJ peers, but I didn't mind that; I'd say I'm still uniquely me within the INFJ realm.

The administrator also, in the end, was very much MBTI and less Jungian; more or less he was of the belief that we use all our functions all the time - we just have preferences for certain ones. He also mentioned that while we can act against type in certain situations and even act against type for extended periods, we can't do it indefinitely because it's not us. It's all about who you are - and what comes natural to you. His example: If you're right-handed you can write left-handed if you broke your arm and had to, but you're not comfortable with it; it doesn't come naturally.

Anyway I had a fun discussion with the administrator, and the Step II test was a decent one. I only took it to feel it out what the "Step II" portion of MBTI would feel like, to be honest. Also, if any of you are in college right now, you can see if your testing center administers the MBTI. Many colleges do it for free. Me, I may do Step III in the future, but not right now. Anything beyond the simple MBTI test can be pretty expensive. :)

But then, I guess he was also surprised that I was still single and I didn't have a family of my own(!) so there were pros and cons with speaking with a seasoned vet.

I don't see the logic behind such reasoning. Either I'm incorrect or he was flirting with you. I'm guessing he was hitting on you. =)

My college's Career Development center offered the MBTI to students which is how I came across the topic.

I don't see the logic behind such reasoning. Either I'm incorrect or he was flirting with you. I'm guessing he was hitting on you. =)

My college's Career Development center offered the MBTI to students which is how I came across the topic.

Oy! I honestly didn't think about that as a possibility. I don't think so...but I could be wrong. I can be oblivious to such things. His assumption was that INFJs often have families and kids before my age (I'm in my early 40s so it sort of makes sense) and that we enjoy reading to our kids. It actually made sense when we discussed it over the phone. :m119:

But I agree with you with the career centers at college. Ours administers the MBTI (Step I) as well as the Strong's Inventory.