MBTI - Rethinking your approach to the test & results | INFJ Forum

MBTI - Rethinking your approach to the test & results

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, i think many here, including myself, have taken the MBTI only to find that our results vary. We know that it can vary because we tend to choose answers based on our mood or how we see ourselves at various times in our life.

Instead of looking at it as a static test, i think a better way to use it is to take it at various times with particular goals in mind. For example, take the test two or three times when answering the questions, but consider three different roles we occupy and answer the questions based on our typical habits or qualities we exhibit when handling each role. I think many of us operate in different "modes" at different times in differing situations. So, i think it's reasonable to think of our thought processes or responses in this way - as varied, and not static.

For example, take it as a "student/learner", romantic partner, supervisor/manager at work, or friend. Base your responses on how you would typically behave or interact in those specific contexts.

Now, this may not seem to be sensible since many of the questions on the test relate to who we are as a person, not how we behave in a particular situation, but some of the questions require answers would would vary depending on the situation or context. So, although some of the responses to questions will be consistent however many times you take it, some will probably vary depending how you see yourself behaving or acting in differing roles or situations.

My reasoning behing this approach is that it may be easier to make sense of the test results if you understand how your personality works or operates in different contexts instead of holding firmly to the idea that you must be one or the other at all times.

Try this approach to the MBTI test and see whether it helps you to understand yourself better or a little differently. Not sure if this works, since it's just an experiment, but can't hurt to try a different approach. :)

Here's a link to a test to use:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

DISCLAIMER: This is just an experiment! *don't hurt me if it doesn't work* Thx much.

Last edited:
[SIZE=+1]o_O

must be in a thinking mood..

Your Type is
[SIZE=+2] ENTJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Extraverted-11

Intuitive-100
Thinking-62
Judging-33

You are:
  • slightly expressed extravert
  • very expressed intuitive personality
  • distinctively expressed thinking personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality
Reasons why I probably got such result:

-My need to be able to open up a little more.
-My need to be a little less emotional
-My need to help others
-Becoming more analytical
-A personal enjoyment in organization and teaching

Last edited:
So, the genius that i am just realized that what i'm describing is probably the same thing as the shadow functions (i think). heh. In any case, my point was to get away from this idea that we must always identify with one type or another, a belief which i think is very deterministic and restrictive.

Oh well. . . .

I just tried taking the test thinking specifically about my actions when I'm with one specific person. While I was answering, I was so sure I'd end up scoring ISFJ or something.

I still scored ENTP. hahaha

ADD: I just tried it with a completely different situation ... ENTP again. The percentages shifted around, but it's the same result.

ADD: Just tried class/university ... ENTP again. And again, the percentages shifted around.

Going to try a situation where I feel pressured to act like something I'm not ... Hmmm ...

I think it blocked me for taking it too many times. Not sure. But something tells me this result will be different. Maybe a different browser? ...

ADD: I got ISTJ!!! In a situation where I hate being there and want to gnaw off my leg and escape because I hate everything about it, I'm an ISTJ! Actually IxTJ. The "S" preference was slight. Only 1%.

Last edited:
At work:
[SIZE=+1]Your Type is [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]INTJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Introverted[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]IntuitiveThinkingJudging[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]33 50 12 44[/SIZE]

haha maybe im a type XXXX ;P

--
the most balanced i've been/feel in awhile.
here are the scores:

[SIZE=+1]Your Type is [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]INFJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]IntrovertedIntuitiveFeelingJudging[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]11 75 38 22[/SIZE]

Last edited:
So, the genius that i am just realized that what i'm describing is probably the same thing as the shadow functions (i think). heh. In any case, my point was to get away from this idea that we must always identify with one type or another, a belief which i think is very deterministic and restrictive.

Oh well. . . .

I don't think what you are describing are shadow functions at work at all because for shadow functions to appear someone needs to be under a lot of stress (that's what I read in most places about shadow functions). And your experiment makes real sense to me because different surroundings can bring different responses even the desire to try to be other personality type. I did this when I was not so happy with myself, and one time I did the test as what I am, and other time as what I thought I'd like to be at that time, and first result was INFJ and second was INFP.

Yeah, no. This will NEVER be me.

ENTP
Strength of the preferences %
Extraverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
22 81 56 11

Reactions: bamf
I don't think what you are describing are shadow functions at work at all because for shadow functions to appear someone needs to be under a lot of stress (that's what I read in most places about shadow functions). And your experiment makes real sense to me because different surroundings can bring different responses even the desire to try to be other personality type. I did this when I was not so happy with myself, and one time I did the test as what I am, and other time as what I thought I'd like to be at that time, and first result was INFJ and second was INFP.

Thx. :)

Yeah, no. This will NEVER be me.

ENTP
Extraverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
22 81 56 11​

QUICK! Do something incredibly strange, random, and.... CRAZY!

QUICK! Do something incredibly strange, random, and.... CRAZY!

*whips out flamethrower and brandishes it towards NAI*

MWAHAHAHAH! Now I will laugh evilly and burn off all your hair....

... Oh wait... somebody beat me to it.

*kicks NAI in the shin and runs away!*

*whips out flamethrower and brandishes it towards NAI*

MWAHAHAHAH! Now I will laugh evilly and burn off all your hair....

... Oh wait... somebody beat me to it.

*kicks NAI in the shin and runs away!*

OUCH!! Hey you forgot your...

*Picks up flamethrower*

*yanks pin, throws grenade at non-ENTPs*

*watches their faces when the explosion turns out to be a harmless rain of marshmallow Peeps*

:m024:

No matter how you are thinking when you are taking the test, it's not gonna be the best way to figure out your MBTI. The tests are wrong all the time for various reasons.
The best thing to do is to study MBTI - study the preferences, the temperaments, the difference between introverting or extroverting feeling, functions, and overall type dynamics. Once you study that and do a lil self-analysis, it's quite easy to figure out what you are. And you'll understand MBTI far better.
I suggest the book "The Art of SpeedReading People" by Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger, and the websites: TypeLogic.com and PersonalityPage.com for study.

No matter how you are thinking when you are taking the test, it's not gonna be the best way to figure out your MBTI. The tests are wrong all the time for various reasons.
The best thing to do is to study MBTI - study the preferences, the temperaments, the difference between introverting or extroverting feeling, functions, and overall type dynamics. Once you study that and do a lil self-analysis, it's quite easy to figure out what you are. And you'll understand MBTI far better.
I suggest the book "The Art of SpeedReading People" by Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger, and the websites: TypeLogic.com and PersonalityPage.com for study.

Please read the OP carefully. This thread is not about determining your one true MBTI. It's just another possible way to think about the results based on different roles/modes of thinking or behavior. It's just a fun experiment to find out what types we seem to display in different situations.

Please read the OP carefully. This thread is not about determining your one true MBTI. It's just another possible way to think about the results based on different roles/modes of thinking or behavior. It's just a fun experiment to find out what types we seem to display in different situations.

Yeah, I know what your point was. But people always take those tests and get different answers and get confused as to what they are, and so I thought I would tell people the way I think that works better. Just trying to help.

I do find your theory/idea interesting. I, myself, have realized through taking the tests that I value Thinking far above Feeling and have lots of Thinker tendencies, but the truth is that I am really 100% a Feeler, and that is how I naturally operate.

Lurker posted a test a while back that showed your Actual MBTI type, your Preferred MBTI type, and your Attraction MBTI type, and that is kinda similar to this. It showed that I wanted to be more extroverted and more thinking. Buuuttt, I'm not.
But I think that the results to that vary at different times as well. So I see your point.
This is it:
http://similarminds.com/pref_jung.html

[SIZE=+1]Your Type is;
[SIZE=+2] INFP[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Introverted
IntuitiveFeelingPerceiving

You are:
  • moderately expressed introvert
  • distinctively expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed perceiving personality
The result for this, is me hanging out with my younger sister too much. :m161:

Last edited:
I answered questions in the context of me being at work. Whether it is me in the lab, working on a group project, or just work in general. You could say me in a workplace. The score does make sense.

[SIZE=+1]Your Type is

Extraverted - 11
Intuitive - 12

Thinking - 12

Judging
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE] - 44

I answered questions in the context of me being at work. Whether it is me in the lab, working on a group project, or just work in general. You could say me in a workplace. The score does make sense.

[SIZE=+1]Your Type is

Extraverted - 11
Intuitive - 12

Thinking - 12

Judging

lol, another entj at work..I can relate when I'm in severe study mode I turn ENTJ..that is why I set up my profile as TEMP ENTJ for a while..

1. Student= ISTP
Introverted Sensing Thinking Perceiving
89 38 75 56

2. Friend= ESTJ
Extraverted Sensing Thinking Judging
44 38 1 33

3. Youth Leader= ENFJ
Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
56 62 12 78

Feeling a bit... hung over, to say the least after a friend's birthday. Sounds like a good time to take it for kicks, right?

INFJ

I - 44
N - 38
F - 88
J - 11

Honestly, a bit surprised in my rise in introversion and drop in intuition. Normally, my I is a bit closer to the twenties, and my N is through the roof. Feeling is a bit higher than I'd have thought too, but at least the near-liminality of my J is right about where I expected.