MBTI and Family Dynamics

dream echo

Donor
Mar 6, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've only begun delving into the subject of MBTI, so I have a lot of questions. One particular thing on my mind lately is: what determines MBTI type? How much is genetic? Or is it more environmental? Have there been studies on this? Is it even possible to determine why someone chooses certain preferences over others?

I'm mostly interested in how this affects relationships within the family. Do particular functions seem to be prevalent in families? When people have completely different types within a family unit, what is the reason for this?

I would guess that it's a combination of genetics modified by events that reinforce selected behavior patterns, but I'd like to hear what theories are out there. Any insight?

Last edited:
No one knows what determines your personality type. I could explain it for myself, but this would not extend into others. In addition, you don't "choose" prefrences. You simply are you. Your personality is not something you can choose to have or not have, it simply is.

Personally, I feel genetics determine a "group" of types you could potentially become as you mature. Life experience and environment refines that down. That said though, this is not fact, can not be proved, and is just my opinion.

I've recently read a journal article about MBTI (specifically Extraversion / Introversion and Perceiving / Judging) and how family variables (like birth order, socioeconomic status, etc) can affect it.

I'd be happy to send it to you if you're interested.

No one knows what determines your personality type. I could explain it for myself, but this would not extend into others. In addition, you don't "choose" prefrences. You simply are you. Your personality is not something you can choose to have or not have, it simply is.

Personally, I feel genetics determine a "group" of types you could potentially become as you mature. Life experience and environment refines that down. That said though, this is not fact, can not be proved, and is just my opinion.

I personally believe that it is a mixture of nature and nurture. I believe some things are definitely nature such as introversion and extroversion, but I wouldn't necessarily agree that functions are quite as static as never being able to choose them.

there are certain jobs that actually work on developing intuition for example, it seems to me that through practice you could learn to use those inferior functions with much greater precision. I believe strongly that personality likely is something you could chose given enough work. not that you'd necessarily want to change it, however.

sometimes I think I became an N because csa makes kids process things really abstractly
my earliest memories are all symbols and metaphors
and I became an I because it forced me inside myself