[PAX] - Mass shooting in an Orlando, Florida nightclub | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Mass shooting in an Orlando, Florida nightclub

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Police: Approximately 20 killed in Florida club shooting + 42 injured
Investigators believe it is an act of terrorism.

[FONT=&amp]ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- A gunman wielding an assault-type rifle and a handgun took hostages and opened fire inside a crowded Florida nightclub, killing approximately 20 people dead and wounding 42 others before dying in a gunfight with SWAT officers, police said Sunday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Police Chief John Mina also said the shooter had some sort of "suspicious device." He said the suspect exchanged gunfire with an officer working at the club around 2 a.m., then went back inside and took hostages.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Around 5 a.m., authorities sent in a SWAT team to rescue the hostages, and the suspect then died in a gunfight with those officers. Mina said police have not determined an exact number of casualties, but that "approximately 20" people were dead inside the club.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]FBI spokesman Danny Banks said during a news conference that the mass shooting is being investigated as an act of terrorism. He says authorities are looking into whether this was an act of domestic or international terror, and if the shooter was a lone wolf.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Police had said previously on Twitter that there was a "controlled explosion" at the scene of the shooting at Pulse Orlando. Mina said that noise was caused by a device intended to distract the shooter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mina Justice was outside the club early Sunday trying to contact her 30-year-old son Eddie, who texted her when the shooting happened and asked her to call police. He told her he ran into a bathroom with other club patrons to hide. He then texted her: "He's coming."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"The next text said: 'He has us, and he's in here with us,'" she said. "That was the last conversation."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Dozens of police vehicles, including a SWAT team, swarmed the area around the club. At least two police pickup trucks were seen taking what appeared to be shooting victims to the Orlando Regional Medical Center.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Pulse Orlando posted on its own Facebook page around 2 a.m.: "Everyone get out of pulse and keep running." Just before 6 a.m., the club posted an update: "As soon as we have any information we will update everyone. Please keep everyone in your prayers as we work through this tragic event. Thank you for your thoughts and love."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Police said local, state and federal agencies were investigating.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The incident follows the fatal shooting late Friday of 22-year-old singer Christina Grimmie, who was killed after her concert in Orlando by a 27-year-old Florida man who later killed himself. Grimmie was a YouTube sensation and former contestant on "The Voice."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Jon Alamo said he was at the back of one of the club's rooms when a man holding a weapon came into the front of the room.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"I heard 20, 40, 50 shots," Alamo said. "The music stopped."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Club-goer Rob Rick said it happened around, 2 a.m., just before closing time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Everybody was drinking their last sip," he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He estimated more than 100 people were still inside when he heard shots, got on the ground and crawled toward a DJ booth. A bouncer knocked down a partition between the club area and an area in the back where only workers are allowed. People inside were able to then escape through the back of the club.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Christopher Hansen said he was in the VIP lounge when he started hearing gunshots. He continued to hear shooting even after he emerged, where police were telling people to back away from the club. He saw injured people being tended to across the street.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"I was thinking, are you kidding me? So I just dropped down. I just said please, please, please, I want to make it out," he said. "And when I did, I saw people shot. I saw blood. You hope and pray you don't get shot."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/orlando-police-multiple-injuries-nightclub-shooting-082553236.html[/FONT]

Last edited:
The suspect's name is Omar Mateen. Figure the rest out for yourselves.

The media is terrorism.

Changed the title, because it was worded poorly. The thread was more of an fyi, not really a question about whether this incident was an act of terrorism.

Changed the title, because it was worded poorly. The thread was more of an fyi, not really a question about whether this incident was an act of terrorism.

There's so many little details that fall under the category of 'information', that much devilish mischief could be had. For instance, the shooter having been a public notary, a devout muslim, and a registered Democrat.

*I'll behave*

My heart broke in two as I listened to the press conference this morning. I know the focus is on figuring out what to label this terrible act, what provoked it, the man behind it all as well as the political consequences and what this means for the country as a whole, but I'd like to take a moment to think about the smaller picture. The victims and their last moments; their families, as well as the emergency personnel who are there to lend their help and support. I can't imagine what the inside of that nightclub looks like right now.

These are people's lives that this person had ended... in the worst and most evil way.

Update:

[FONT=&amp]Fifty people killed in massacre at Florida gay nightclub: police

By Barbara Liston,Reuters 18 minutes ago
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
2016-06-12T141543Z_1_LYNXNPEC5B0DW_RTROPTP_2_FLORIDA-SHOOTING.JPG.cf.jpg
By Barbara Liston
ORLANDO, Fla. (Reuters) - A gunman killed 50 people and injured 53 in a crowded gay nightclub in the tourist hub of Orlando, Florida, early on Sunday before being shot dead by police, authorities said, in what appeared the deadliest mass shooting in American history.
The shooter was identified as Omar S. Mateen, a man that a senior FBI official said might have had leanings toward Islamic State militants. Officials described the attack as a "terrorism incident" though cautioned that the suspected Islamist connection required further investigation.
The death toll given by Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and police to reporters made the attack the deadliest single shooting incident in U.S. history, eclipsing the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech university, which left 32 dead.
"Today we're dealing with something that we never imagined and is unimaginable," Dyer said. Recalling earlier estimates that 20 people had been killed, he added, "It is with great sadness I share that we not have 20 but 50 casualties (dead), in addition to the shooter. There are another 53 ...hospitalized.”
A police officer working as a security guard inside the Pulse nightclub, which has operated in downtown Orlando since 2004, exchanged fire with the suspect at about 2 a.m. EDT, police officials said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/shooting-breaks-florida-gay-nightclub-media-081442509.html

[/FONT]

There have been so many mass shootings, and this is the worst in US history.

Even the FBI are now calling the gunman to have had 'leanings' to Islamic fundamentalism.

I'm sick of this. I've never cried over events that happen thousands of miles away to people I've never met, but this is now coming to a point where my emotions run at sky-high levels. I watched a video last week of Syrian Islamic rebels pointing their weapons at Syrian soldiers; tied up and blindfolded. They shot them in the head at point blank range and sprayed so many bullets into their skulls that the blood brains just flooded out. I can't take this anymore. If I have to see one more person down-playing this murderer's ideology, I will have to force myself to do something to stop this cult-fed bloodshed. If people can't see this as a conflict between civilisations, then I am frankly living amongst apes myself. I should have joined the army in 2014 and shot these scum myself.

Even the FBI are now calling the gunman to have had 'leanings' to Islamic fundamentalism.

I'm sick of this. I've never cried over events that happen thousands of miles away to people I've never met, but this is now coming to a point where my emotions run at sky-high levels. I watched a video last week of Syrian Islamic rebels pointing their weapons at Syrian soldiers; tied up and blindfolded. They shot them in the head at point blank range and sprayed so many bullets into their skulls that the blood brains just flooded out. I can't take this anymore. If I have to see one more person down-playing this murderer's ideology, I will have to force myself to do something to stop this cult-fed bloodshed. If people can't see this as a conflict between civilisations, then I am frankly living amongst apes myself. I should have joined the army in 2014 and shot these scum myself.

Although I don't agree with the desire to retaliate with more violence, I sympathize with the emotions felt for those who've been hurt or killed by those who want to commit great harm.

I heard on the radio he was investigated by the FBI twice. In 2013, he made inflammatory claims to coworkers that he had ties to terrorism. Someone reported him. At the time of the investigation, the FBI found him to not be a threat. That is very concerning to me.

Reactions: Siimplicity
I heard on the radio he was investigated by the FBI twice. In 2013, he made inflammatory claims to coworkers that he had ties to terrorism. Someone reported him. At the time of the investigation, the FBI found him to not be a threat. That is very concerning to me.
Much like the TSA the FBI is useless. But how terrible it would be if they increased their aggressiveness.

I understand the anger and frustration. The people behind these attacks, who champion this radical ideology, are brainwashed and rotted to the core.

The lingering question is now how go stop such an attack. Daesh has scant command structure (outside of the areas they control) and there is no evidence that Daesh command directed this attack. So this is like the attack on 2013 Boston Marathon, the Canadian parliament attack, like the Charlie Hebbo/ ÃŽle-de-France attacks, and the San Bernardino shooting. The attacker appears to have been an American citizen not under investigation or surveillance at the time of the shooting.

A couple of questions remain:

(1) Will attacks on Daesh in Syria and Libya prevent such attacks in the future? I’d have no say no to this. The terrorist attack would not be possible without aid and assistance from inside the countries being attacked. The terrorists lately have really been receiving little material support from Daesh, in some cases they are not receiving directives from Daesh, in fact many appear to have no direct contact with Daesh in any way. Some of them are true "lone wolves" and the only thing are receive from Daesh is inspiration. Others like the Paris bombers act in small groups only loosely coordinated by Daesh. Daesh appears to have scant resources, even in Europe, and certainly in North America.

(2) The best way to defend against such is to enlist the help of the Muslim community to assist law enforcement in routing out the terrorists. The worst thing to do is blame all Muslims and further alienate the community from law enforcement and from mainstream society. The community must also take responsibility for assisting the police and reporting individual who support terrorism and extremism. There must be a clear and unambiguous zero tolerance for this type of behaviour.

(3) Those who express support for extremist ideologies must be kept under surveillance and any and all connections to Daesh or support for its agenda must result in detention at least restriction of movement. Balancing the need to protect civil liberties with the need to protect ourselves will be tricky, and I fear we may need to step on some civil liberties, but it must be done. These are difficult choices that cannot be taken lightly.

Expect more attacks on nightclubs and other similar places. Part of the justification for the Paris attacks was an ideological objection to Paris as a capital of abomination and perversion in the eyes of the Daesh terrorists. For this attack expect the same nonsense to be spouted by Daesh and its supporters as justification for this attack.

On a side note, the reaction of some Christian fundamentalists to the attack as an example of "God's wrath on gays and their lifestyle" is infuriating and exasperating and only serves to confirm my already low opinion of these people and their twisted ideology. It gives aid and comfort to Daesh, who believe they are acting in accordance with God's will. It's despicable and vile.

Last edited:
Reactions: bolognamacaroni

I agree. I heard that on tv that they ran out of time to investigate him and had to close the case both times, and that the same thing happened with the Boston Marathon brothers. I looked up what the time limits were and they don't have time limits on their full investigations, only the preliminary ones. So these people don't even get to the full investigation stage?! Something is really really wrong, somewhere. I don't know the time limits for the preliminary investigations or what they need to determine if a person is a threat enough to open a full investigation, but WTF.

What they're doing definitely isn't f*cking working

Best thing to do is to start a subversive campaign to put new verses in the Quran which speak positively to white supremacy and western patriarchy - then make them check their mf privilege!